1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

VIN says one year old manufactured Punto

Discussion in 'Pre sales query' started by CK2608, Jan 8, 2014.

1. CK2608

CK2608 Novizio

Bangalore
    Hello Everyone. I am new to this forum. I stay in Bangalore. I planned to go for a Punto Emotion. I wanted a Oceanic Blue car but the dealer did not have it. So, I said him I will not go ahead with booking and probably wait. He immediately enquired and said that the factory yard has a OB Punto. He had offered me 70k discount and some other accesories. So, I booked a Oceanic Blue Punto emotion by paying a booking amount of 50K in December 2013 last week.

After few days the sales guy gave me the VIN number of the car alloted. It was a BKZ. I felt very uncomfortable knowing that the car is feb 2013 manufactured. I have not made the whole down payment and have not applied for loan yet. the PDI is due in a couple of days when the sales person will call me when the car reaches the dealer's yard.

So, I am confused whether to go ahead with purchasing the car even if nothing major comes up during PDI. I am planning to ask him to replace the rubber throughout the car and probably the tires too. will this make it as good as a 3-4 months old ? or Should I straightaway reject the car and re-book a new one that will be manufactured recently.

If I cancel the booking I lose the discount benefits but I am not very much worried since I want the feeling of owning a newly manufactured car and not the one that is standing in the factory yard since a year under sun and rain. Also, for a year old standing car in yard any specific points to observe or notice during PDI apart form rust, tire cracks....
  2. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Hi CK2608,

Welcome to the forum.

My suggestion is that if nothing major crops up during PDI such as
    - most electronics are fine,
    - interiors are well maintained,
    - engine bay looks clean and
    - no visible paint mismatch; you can go for it.
    But push for more discount atleast in the order of 1lac flat.

All the best!!
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    First negotiate more (70K benefit is on new cars also) and tell them decision will be after PDI.
    In PDI, do verify how much has run (H should be present on ODO).

Otherwise and better option to ask them to order new one.

BTW, which dealer is this from where you have booked?
  4. CK2608

CK2608 Novizio

Bangalore
    Thanks pabhishek and Ravi for your responses. I booked at KHT Fiat Caffe Bangalore. Could you please throw some light on the possible replacements I can ask for like I mentioned the replacement of rubber and Tires. Also, how can I confirm if the ODO was disconnected or not.
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Check H is appearing on ODO or not. And do negotiation with sales person.
    Otherwise tell them to order new one.
  6. CK2608

CK2608 Novizio

Bangalore
    I want to be sure that the vehicle is in no way affected because of standing in yard for such a very long time. The tires and rubber may take a hit under sun (which I might ask for replacement) but will the engine have any issues? will the other parts like suspension, electrical wiring, and other major parts be affected ? I know I can observe all these during PDI but just wanted to ensure not to miss observing critical points especially since the car is one year old manufactured.
  7. mnranjeeth

mnranjeeth Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Also, I think there was an update to the punto sometime around March 2013. So if it is manufactured in Feb 2013, please check if it is the updated one.
  8. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    I doubt if the dealer will agree to replace the tires. You should also check the condition of the battery and the wipers during PDI.

Many members here , including myself have bought cars aged one year or more without any issues. If something crops up later you can always have it resolved under warranty. But make sure you do a thorough PDI to rule out any obvious issues and also bargain for extra discounts.
  9. CK2608

CK2608 Novizio

Bangalore
    Thanks Parantap Chatterjee.. but Tires are vulnerable parts right. I want them also replaced. I will try to push it. if he doesnt agree I will make it a deal breaker and re-book a new one with same dealer or a new dealer.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Do you remember what was the update? or direct me to a forum or site about it.
  10. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    You can alsways exchange the tyres after delivery, there will be a very small sum to pay for the exchange and will be surely much lesser than the discount offered by the dealer.

As everyone has pointed out, negotiate hard and bring the discounts to atleast 1L. If the dealer doesnt budge then ask for free EW, insurance, accessories to be added along. In crux, it wouldnt be an issue if the car is an year old manufactured unless the PDI shows otherwise. You can visit the dealer warehouse to have a first hand look at the car and then decide whether to proceed further.