1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Video upscaling for HDTV

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Folks,

I recently brought Sony CX420-40" TV, I have 7 year old Dishtv connection and it has only RF and composite vedio output.

I am trying to see if i can use come video up-scaling device to improve the the picture quality?

If you folks know anything about this , please let me know.

Dish TV folks are charging high a HD set top box + monthly charges are Rs450,which I would like to avoid
    -Sat
  2. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Upscaling options are there but they tend to be costly and they still do not deliver the full HD pleasure. If you have a DVD player that takes in composite and give out HDMI, that is an option. It will make more sense to go for the HD connection and avoid getting stuck with an intermediate device meant for upscaling. You need not stick with Dish (although I use Dish TruHD and am happy) and check out other operators as well. Having a HD tv and not getting HD content is a let down of sorts.
  3. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    Have a look at HD content for some time. I am fairly sure one would not like to downgrade after experiencing one. Like I would rather watch Star Movies HD than Star Movies. The upscaled content is just interpolation. Information content is the same - meaning you could go from upscaling and then downscale back in series without losing any quality.
  4. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    You can't unfortunately - It all depends on the source. Get the HD connection sans the recording function from Tata Sky or Airtel. Else look at getting a media player which can be connected to play HD Rips.
  5. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    I am using SUN HD and the picture quality in EVEN non HD channels is excellent,cost me Rs,2,500 inclusive of one month's free subscription and installation cost another Rs.500.Monthly charges is around Rs.200 plus Rs.50 for the English movie channles.I think you should give away the old dish and change to SUN HD
  6. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    u just can't DO that ..
    u can down scale a high resolution to a low specified one but u can't make low resolution and stretch them to HD .. this will result in pixelation ...
    buying HD connection is the only way
  7. Well , most of the new age DVD player can do it, what I was searching was one which can accept analog video input to upscale it.
    Most of the people in electronics store are not even aware of it.
    High end AV receivers can do it but they tend og be very expensive for what they offer.

That's an option,thanks.

Do you know brand and model number of DVD player with composite video in option?I heard even the HD connections what is on offer is just unscaled for most barring few channels.

Mod Note: Please use the multi quote option instead of creating back to back posts
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2011
  8. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Oppo is a good brand that offers upscaling options, but I reckon they are mostly into BD players now. Oppo 93 is the latest offering but it doesn't have a composite video in. For your requirement, a basic Denon or Yamaha AVR will do better. However, these AVRs mostly provide pass through information without much upscaling. Only difference will be HDMI output and that will surely provide better picture due to TV's inbuilt capabilities.
  9. I gave up my search for video up-scaling DVD player or AV receiver but went to TATA-SKY HD connection, I am enjoying it as of now.
  10. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    That's a better option you have exercised.