1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Vibration in the steering

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by travelingzulu, May 27, 2014.

1. Hi,
    New to the forum and looking for help.

I run a 2010 model 1.3mjd/emotion. Searching for a decent FASS in gurgaon, use to go to dhingra/abs (now closed). were not good anyways, had a look at torque after their incessant calling, not very happy with the setup and don't want to venture far to kashyap.

Have done about 45000km. Last service 5000km ago. But getting into some issues lately.

1. Have started to get vibrations in the steering above 80/90kmph. What could be possible reasons. Last alignment and balancing was done 5 months ago. I need to get it done again. But any other serious reason I should watch out for.
    2. What are the must do's in my next service
    3. Will getting 15inchers for the car provide relief to the low ground clearance issue. I also hear of the additional fix available by adding a leaf spring and increasing the height by about an inch. Is this fix sufficient or should I need both - increase suspension height and 15inchers. or is there a still 3rd option

request inputs from the enlightened ones.

thanks
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    1. First get alignment/balancing done at a reputed place. Not at FASS. If still not resolved, could be bent wheels. Are you using aftermarket alloys?
    2. Follow what is in the owner's manual. Nothing additional is required unless you have a problem.
    3. Getting 15 inchers will not necessarily increase Ground clearance unless you used upsized tyres which might cause ODO errors. For eg the stock sizes for Emotion vs emotion pack models i.e. 185/70-R14 and 195/60-R15 offer almost similar GC. 195/65-R15 might offer slightly more GC. If you are happy with the 14 incher's, it is wise to get the GC kit installed since that will turn out to be cheaper in the long run due to the following reasons.

- You will have to spend on 15 inch rims to upgrade now.
    - 15 incher tyres are expensive compared to 14 inchers so that will be additional cost east time you get new tyres.

That said, if you have the money and want to upgrade rim size for aesthetics, go for it.
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    please dont try the leaf spring method(adding a bush) for linea/ punto.. there are no ready made ones available, and need to be crafted by the mechanic..
    can lead to imbalance between both suspensions and lead to further issues in the long run..
    proper GC kit upgrade is recommended..
    that said, i went from 15 inch wheels to 16 purely for the looks and marginal increase in GC!
  4. Thanks vj, have the original 14 inch wheels. the necessity to put in 15inch is solely to increase ground clearance. it seems GC kit is more practicable solution. but the way any inputs if the company gave free installations, since it was an original flaw with the earlier batches, which now stands corrected in their newer versions

and why do you suggest alignment/balancing from outside sources, is the FASS staff not qualified

- - - Merged Post - - -

thanks harry, i think gc kit is the way for me
  5. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Low GC was never a flaw, if you do some searching on this forum, you will notice that people with the higher GC suspensions are reverting back to the original suspension setup since lower the GC, better the drive-ability. The requirement for higher GC is based purely on the road condition in your region. For instance, i am perfectly happy with my low GC suspension and underbody barely scraps during my day to day use.

No, FIAT will not do it for free. Don't even think about it.

I cannot guarantee the qualification of the Alignment people at a FASS in your region, they might or might not be better. However, if you notice my comment, i said "Reputed place". Obviously, one earns reputation since he does a good job. If you are confident with FASS, you can get it done there itself.