1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Vespa LX125

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Dec 23, 2012.

1. As per the vespa forums it needs to be 0.010mm for intake and 0.015 mm for exhaust remember these are values that is when the engine is super cool., I adjusted the valves while it was hot so when the engine is cold it should be very close to these values.
    Here is very good link on how to adjust the valves but our Vespas we need not do engine drop.
    Modern Vespa : GTS Engine Drop and Valve Adjustment
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Yes adjustment always when cold. Preferably after the engine has stood idle overnight. Just to be on the safer side, re-adjust when cold.

Are these old style tappets? Or are the clearances set by shims?

Cheers
  3. These are new type,I will be checking it in the cold and readjust if required.
  4. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I am going to test drive a vespa for my wife this sunday. Pure coincidence that i stumbled upon your wife's post. Thanks a lot guys your inputs about the vehicle and also the pictures about the service centre and showroom. Dont know what to expect here in orissa?. will post after the test drive.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Vespa Is good product and Piagio has ensured better ASS facilities to start with.
    Gearbox is a delight, other than low space on the foot board hard point out any flaws in the product.
    When ever i need to go little late to office , I take Vespa since the distance is 65 kms , I get very good FE of ~60 kmpl.
  6. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    60 kmpl :eek:. Dont mention this to anyone especially piaggio guys they might take back your vehicle for research :evilsmile
  7. I don't understand your statement well,not sure it was sarcasm or some thing else.

Just FYI, I have got 65 kmpl twice.Vespa is not run of the mill scoooter don't want compare it to Cheaper japanese stuff.

I commute early mornings and keep the average speed high due to free roads and sense of freedom to drive in the roads with two wheeler.
    since the Scooter doesn't have the RPM meter i have no way of telling how much is the engine RPM, but it can cruise at speeds of 60-70 kmph and with little throttle to keep it in that speed.

This is where the CVT gearbox comes in to picture as it has infinite gearing between a high and low value,gearbox always works keep the engine RPM low and wheel RPM high.Like our Punto's 4th and 5th gears.

Not sure you read my report post earlier

Now few other manufacturers started using CVT gearboxes.

I was thinking HIGH FE was due to me adjusting the tappets but,I have been three services so far talked to few owners getting 55-60 kmpl is not a big deal on Vespa.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  8. Shri1972

Shri1972 Amatore

Pune
    Hi ,
    I too bought a Vespa for my wife immediately after it was launched . There were 2 dealers in Pune , I bought it from Moto Italia . The guys there were quite passionate and very helpful .
    The ASS is quite good .
    The first servicing was a pleasant surprise . When I went to collect the scooter after servicing , I was told that there is a small discoloured patch under the rubber mat. So they have informed Vespa and the floorboard will be replaced . In fact I had never noticed this.
    But after 2 days I received a call for an appointment . The technician came to my house with the floor board . Dismantled the old one and replaced it with new . Great job !!
    Now , after an year + , I took the vehicle to the workshop , the vehicle was serviced in my presence and I was relieved in an hour. The product is excellent , though it is expensive , it's worth .

Shrinivas Patil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3 people like this.
  9. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    No No it was not sarcasm. It was a fun statement. I too thought of the adjustment made by you might be the reason for you high mileage. Anyways went to the vespa showroom in bhubaneshwar yesterday and did TD. The sound of the engine seemed somewhat raw to me, may be that's because it was a TD vehicle and also the brake was pathetic. The first bite was there but after that the more you apply the brakes there is no response and the vehicle did not even stop. I have to apply my "leg brakes". The sales person told that they need to make some adjustment as it was a TD vehicle.

Anyway got quote for a yellow color vespa LX. My wife was grinning all the time till we left the showroom and i know what it means, that my garage needs space for a vespa soon. You can see for yourself what i mean:

IMG_20130929_142413.jpg

- - - Merged Post - - -

This again shows that we guys like pure style not just any vehicle. Also, the Sales girl told that they have an offer (only this month)for free maintenance for all the scheduled service (9 service) and they also told that service is being done at door step. Is that true in other areas too. Shrinivas had already answered how about you sat?
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. Sathish,

It is not the engine sound but the gearbox sound, these CVT gearboxes are lot more noisier. Mine got settled down in two oil changes or 2500 kms.
    Brakes are of drum type in mine it can be little scary but until one gets used to it.Vespa service is very good ,if you don't need wash they can do the service in 90 minutes flat.
    Attention to details is good , they clean brake drums, clutch,filters and change engine oil. Only grouse is they change some value added service change even for free service.
    Each time I have been given some explanation which did not satisfy, but since the charge was Rs 99/ i did not bother much.

I heard they are giving Michelin tires with new Vespa is that true.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013