1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Vento bursts into flames

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Torpedo, Jan 31, 2012.

1. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yes this may possible due to aftermarket product.

One of my primary schoolmate's UNO burnt totally due to fitment of Air Pressure Horn.
    He had installation at nukkad electrician.

P.S. To escape from father's anger, my friend canvassed
    that there is some design defect in horn wiring of fiat uno.

After that incidence his father was used to
    give advice to every fiat uno owner not to buy fiat uno.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. Torpedo

Torpedo Amatore

Looking at the flames coming out from the car, it is surprising and very scary such a huge fire could spread that quickly - wonder if there was any flammable material inside.Another thing is in such situations, seat belts actually become the bottleneck in rescuing the trapped passengers. I remember vaguely that some of the US cars had an emergency release in the event of a crash where the belt buckle releases a few seconds after the car comes to a halt...think that is a long way off from being in the regular cars in India.
  3. royj

royj Esperto

May be such features will come sooner that we believe. About an year ago, we were writing specifications for some major Indian automobile manufacturers to automatically unlock doors in the event of a crash, electrical malfunction etc.
  4. sungoa2010

In getz when engine is off the doors get unlocked. In case like this it will save the life.
    In fiat since the same lever is used to unlock and open the door we can open the door quickly in case of emergency.
  5. Srini

Srini Regolare

I believe this safety feature is already available in our FIAT cars. Point 1 - our doors will not get locked and can be mechanically opened in case of emergency from inside. This should be a case with Vento as well - as this is a standard safery feature in all european cars. Point 2 - all the doors gets unlocked automatically post an accident - not sure in case of fire.
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Getz may not have this feature of automatic unlock at engine off.
    This feature is built-in central lock.

Central lock has 2 types of locking. Lock by Drive & Lock by ignition.

While fitting after market central lock installation guy program it on 'Lock by ignition'.

If you program 'Lock by Ignition' doors get locked after turning key to MAR position

If you program 'Lock by Drive' door get locked at speed of 20 km/hr

Accessory shop guys can't install c lock by programming 'Lock by Drive'.

By programming C lock with ' Lock by Ignition' door gets unlock at ignition key at stop position.

So we misunderstand that H getz have this safety feature.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

The owner would have got tensed and forgot to open door and seat belt. It can happen to anyone.
    In European cars you have the door opening lever acting as lock as well as lever unlike other cars which have lock and lever separate. Its the same in Vento.

VW is quietly changing Fuel Filters in their cars free of cost to arrest leakage of fuel from Fuel Filter housing is that leakage the cause of fire ?
  8. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Linea very enthusiastically advertises it's Fire Prevention System. Is that useful for such a scenario? Of course, we dont really know what happened in the Vento's case, but this is just a thought on my mind since I read the news.
  9. naveen

naveen Novizio

Yesterday I was discussing about this Incident with Fiat Customer Service Manager as I met him at Tejaswi, Hyderabad for couple of pending issues and he told another horrifying story.

A BMW Car owned by Gautham Adhani, Chairman of Adani Group was tested by Service Centre people for braking efficiency. During road test, when brakes were applied at a speed of 140 kmph all of a sudden there was fire from the tyres and also doors got jammed and fuel cut off didn’t work.

Worst part was it has bullet proof glasses and the people passing by were unable to break them resulting all the four people (Two Technicians sitting in the rear seat and Service Advisor and Service Manager in the front seats) in the car were charred to death.
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

its a small size cease fire. i had got it long back from reliance mart/big bazaar for 399rs. dont remember when.

this is what exactly happened. after my projector mod, i had installed a switch to operate angel eyes, stupidly without a fuse inline.
    the switch has ground terminal too which is used to glow the light in the switch when its in on position.

dont know what happened but suddenly i got out of my car at a shop after i switched off the angel eyes. i came back in 5 minutes to see my car filled with smoke in cabin and few wires glowing.

i immediately opened the boot and took out my cease fire and sprayed on it, also i opened the bonnet and cut the positive wire. i always carry a wire cutter and full mech kit with me.

luckily there was not much damage anywhere. just a bit of plastic below the dashboard got burnt, a bit of carpet(few cms).

if i would have been late by few more minutes , the next news in the paper would have been of linea :(

i have learnt a very good lesson and now i have installed proper 10amp fuse with high quality finolex cable + anupam(iso-certified) 10amp switch.

my heart literally sank seeing this condition in my linea and for the whole night i couldnt sleep.