1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Vehicle Health Checklist before Long Drive

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by shashanknathani, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I am also doing a Pune-Hyderabad-Pune trip on the 19th Dec weekend. My question is, given that the Solapur-Hyd patch is mostly broken, should i get the WA/WB done before the trip or after the trip (as a part of 2nd service) ?
    Right now my ODO stands at almost 12k kms and I assume that it would be arounf 13.5 kms when i get back from the trip and then I plan to get the 2nd service done.
    Before leaving for the trip, I am also planning to top up the engine oil as it is at the half way mark in the dipstick and also getting the air filter changed. Any pointers from anyone?
  2. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Turbothinghy Pune to HYD is only 560KM. No need to worry much if ur car condition is good. Check alignment unless it is not done for long time to avoid uneven tyre ware.

Check all the fluids , top-up if required. Wish u good luck for ur journey
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  3. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks @pdash. Right now I dont seem to have alignment issues so would postpone it for the 2nd service. And yes would get the fluids topped up.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Turbothingy
    No need of air filter change and WA/WB, anyways you are gettinh done in 2nd service.The road from solapur to hyd is not in good shape at all.4 lane work going on so you can find many diversions here n there.This route is Best driven in day time.Drive bit cautiously.from solapur to hyd.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Yes @Ganges . I read it that the average speed takes a beating once you cross Solapur. Will try to cover that distance in broad daylight. Thanks
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Guys,

Whats the expected duration of travel between Pune and Solapur considering that the roads are good? Or are there some bad patches as well on the stretch?

I am assuming that 3 hrs would be a good target to achieve on these roads at 80 speeds.
  7. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Turbothinghy. Did HYD-SHIRDI-MUMBAI-PUNE-SHOLAPUR-HYD between Sep17 - Sep 20.

Pune to Sholapur got great roads and the amount of time taken depends on the speeds you can maintain. An average of 75-80 km/h is pretty much possible unless traffic or weather conditions do not allow.

Sholapur to HYD roads range from good to average to bad to pathetic. You wont find any great stretch between these two stretches. Mostly it would be average to pathetic with few good stretches.

Stats from Mumbai-HYD from the recent trip

Distance: 760 km
    Time: 12:25 hrs
    Speed: 61 km/h
    FE: 16.6 km/l

My average from Mumbai till Sholapur would have been close to 75 km/h with pretty heavy rains till Pune. It fell drastically after crossing Sholapur. There is four lane work going on resulting in a lot of diversion. The quality of roads are not that good as well. Once the stretch is completed it would be a breeze though. Better to travel before its dark. I reached home around 10:30 PM and would have driven at least 3 hours after dark and didn't feel very comfortable with many diversions and road block. Quite a few stretches are pretty empty without any human life. May not safe as well. Better to start and reach your destination before 7:00 PM. My 90 HP handled well through out but now I dread what if there was a breakdown.
  8. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks @nibedk. Approximately how many kms of bad road are we talking between Solapur-Hyd? I have read that once we enter Karnataka the roads become awesome.
  9. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Turbothinghy. I really cant remember much good roads. As I mentioned its mostly average to pathetic with few stretches of good roads in between. Karnataka was comparatively better but awesome would be too much. Good at best what I would say. It was almost 2 months back don't know if it has improved since then.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  10. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Earlier I was thinking of covering the Solapur-Hyd patch in the evening-night but now I am taking a leave and would be covering it in daylight only.

Thanks @nibedk and @Ganges for your feedback on the route.