1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Vehicle Health Checklist before Long Drive

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by shashanknathani, Mar 9, 2011.

1. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @pdash. Having done multiple drives in India and US( we have been travelling by roads since 1990) here are a few tips from my side

• Irrespective of number of kms covered in day I would suggest start early may be by 4:00 am and stop before it gets dark. With your wife and kiddo by your side its not worth the risk.
    • Book in advance and decide your break points. Best is to stop before 6:00 pm except for if your travel is going to be on freeways or NH with police patrol. We arent a safe society anymore.
    • Your kid is too young to endure anything more than 8-10 hours of journey.
    • Child seat is a must and attached to seat behind driver. Never put thye child seat in the middle. I guess you know about car sickness(motion sickness). Kids and women are more vulnerable to it.
    • Keep 2 hammers/iron rods. In case of accidents and central locking going kaput can be used to break glass. Fiats have strong thick glasses.
    • A pair of scissors to cut seat belts in case of accidents in case of belt jamming. We always have 2 hammers and a pair if scissors in our glove box. I do hope no one ever has to use it though
    • Water at least 20-30 litres. With a kid you ll need more of it. Keep few thin 500 ml bottles which can fit to Punto's side pocket. Helps gulping down water even when you are driving.
    Being a Fiat owner and enthusiast I will not elaborate on driving and car checks that needs to done before long trips as you would already be aware of it.

I have a 42 months old daughter and she has been travelling since she was 11 months old. Me and my wife both share the driving load. We have done multiple 900-1000 kms trips and we plan in such a way that we are at best 50-100 kms away from our destination before it gets dark. We usually start by 4:30-5:00 am.

There have been cases where we have drove late into the night like 11:30 PM but trust me its not worth the stress especially with family by your side. Now a days we plan/drive in such a way that our travel time doesn't exceed 12 hours @ max. This is purely highway drives. I am not taking into account the drives within the city or to near by places. Let me know if you need any further inputs.

I have done Bangalore_HYD and HYD_BBSR multiple times and can be of help if you need any.
  2. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @pdash,

+1 to Sujit508. Also carry the 'essential' medicines for the baby, and plan your refuelling - do not fill up from highway outlets, use the ones in towns.

Have a safe drive.

Regards
    Johnny
    pdash and punto_emotion like this.
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    @pdash, do you use a child seat? If not then pls get it now so that your kid will get used to it by the time you embark on this journey. Using a child seat for this trip should be your topmost priority according to me.

In my 'roundtrip of 4600 kms' which i did in nov 2011, i came back from siwan via ranchi, jamshedpur, balasore, chennai to bangalore.

Find out the road condition between jamshedpur and balasore as that was the worst road i encountered in my return journey.

From my experience i would suggest not to fix the places for night halt. For example if you are thinking of halting in rajahmundry in onward journey then find out few hotels +- 200 kms of it where you can halt. Keep contacts of these hotels handy. In my opinion, fixing a hotel/place and then trying to reach it on time can be more stressful on such journeys and more so with family. Like this you can decide on the place to halt once it gets dark.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    punto_emotion likes this.
  4. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am yet to buy a baby seat,still under confusion. I was thinking about putting one small cotton mattress in the half of the back seat where the baby can seat, play and sleep.

As my home town is Baripada and in-laws place in Jamshedpur, So i will take enough rest before hitting the Jamshedpur road.
  5. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @pdash Buddy get a child seat ASAP. Safety for dash junior and when ever the kiddo wants he can sleep peacefully. Please take out the cotton mattress stuff from your mind. It's very dangerous for the kid in case of sudden braking or swerving. Besides proving safety its peace of mind for the driver and he/she can concentrate on driving rather than kid.
    punto_emotion and pdash like this.
  6. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks a lot @nibedk for your valuable advise.

And once again thanking all for the various advise. I wish to write a nice travel experience in coming months in this forum.
  7. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Finally I have completed my long long trip. It is from Bangalore to Baripada, Odisha. Fully solo drive with wife and 1.5 year baby.

Caution and checks:
    Checked all fluid and tyre balancing in FASS.

Total distance covered is 1770 KM.
    Total Fuel spent is Rs 5000.
    Average fuel consumption as per MID is 17.5
    Average speed 67KM.

AP/TS has the highest price of diesel(51-53).

1st day: Started the journey at 5AM from Bangalore, reached Vizag at 11:30PM with only food and nature breaks. (distance covered is 1070)
    2nd day: Started at 6AM from vizag, reached home at 6. ((Distance covered is 700)

Roads all the way is in superb condition expect few diversions for bridge constrictions. Took a lot of time to cross Vijayawada due so slow moving traffic in the city.

Took a diversion before Rajmundry on a single highway to reduce some distance but end up with slow moving and tiring drive.

Pros:: Fully enjoyed the drive, not much stress due to good quality NH5. I must say the engine is impressive.

Cons: Huge road noise(Tyre+wind+engine) above 120 KMPH. Audio was not much audible due to this sound. (Tyres are new Yoko Earth1 and doors have basic damping):

Question to highway travelers: Any solution to highway drive noise.
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    I thought the Yokos are the silent type tyres. If you are facing road noise in the Yokos imagine what would it have been if the tyres were Apollo.

My road trip is coming in the 3rd and 4th week of December. So I will be getting the WA/WB done before that along with the fluid checks. My concerns always on these road trips is the unavailability of N2 on the highways (in case needed).
  9. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    My trip, 850 up and down to Rameswaram is in the coming weekend, if the weather is fine. Did WA/WB today. Will get 2-3 days to check WA/WB before the trip. For air, I have bought a coido electric pump, that can fill normal air, although it takes a lot of time to do that.
  10. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    I'm planning a trip to Bhopal via Varanasi, khajraho and panchmarhi. I may visit Agra on return. How is the road condition between Varanasi n khajraho? And body who has crossed this stretch recently please advice.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015