1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Vehicle Health Checklist before Long Drive

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by shashanknathani, Mar 9, 2011.

1. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hello Tafians,
    I am planning for a 4 thousand Km road trip(both ways) from Bangalore to Jamshedpur in end of May.

My car is Punto diesel Active run about 35K with with stock JK tyre.
    Last service was done at 31K KMs.
    I have one year baby to travel with me.
    I am only driver, wife may drive only few 100 kms if require.

I have a few question in my mind.

Do I need to change the tyres before this journey, as tyre rotation guys advised for this.
    Do I need to change any oil of car before the journey.
    Is it OK to drive in highway in peak summer.

And feel free to give your valuable suggestions and tips.

Thanks in advance.
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    You need to check the tyre tread pattern and I would suggest you not to take risk with tyres.

JK Tyres with 31k km used is not recommended for 4,000km drive in scorching heat, when you have your family with you.

I would suggest you to change the tyres to 185 60/65 R14. It will give better grip and handling than punny 165 section tyres.
    pdash likes this.
  3. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    @pdash,
    Check the coolant and if it looks colourless, change it with the specified coolant. This is what I was advised before my Rajasthan trip in March last, though it was not this hot then. The coolant comes in ready-to-use form and no water is to be added, that's what I have learnt. I am also at a somewhat similar stage as far as tyres are concerned, as I have travelled nearly 30K km and if I am joining Leh tour, I may have to change my tyres, I guess.
    pdash likes this.
  4. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    At 35k coolant pipes can develop leakages. To be on the safer side get the coolant pipes checked for any signs of leakage and take corrective measures if there is any signs of leakage.
    pdash likes this.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    As per my highway experience,
    1. In your case,the tires are still in good condition and can easily do 4K kms.
    2. Check for Jack if it is working properly.
    3. Keep a torch in glove box.
    4. Insurance papers,RC smart card/book.PUC.
    5. Ensure wiper tank is full of water,these days it is rainning,if you are doing night drive, then you have to come to hault.
    In my recent trip of 2500kms with full AC On i didnt found any coolant issues,ODO at 1,40,400 Kms.
    i would say, fill the fuel tank and check the air pressure and just flag off the trip.
    pdash likes this.
  6. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks a lot for your inputs guys.

I have decided to change the tyres as planned before the trip and planning for upgrading to 185 with 14 inch.

Apart from the basic checkup, I feel of changing the engine oil and coolant for safety side.

Any tips for peak summer day time drive, as planning to drive at least 1000KM/day mostly day time drive in AP and Orissa.

I normally avoid night drive due to light reflection on windshield and my power glasses.
  7. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    My driving may be more sedate compared to most on this forum, but even then, IMHO, doing 1000 km / a day with a baby is quite tough. Of course you get more daylight duration in summer. I have done Indore to Rajkot (Guj) in a day (0700 AM to 2000 PM) in October last, sharing the drive with my wife, and it was tough. I doubt if you will get 4-lane all through.
    pdash likes this.
  8. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @pdash,

I agree with Ravi. 1000 km per day is doable, but you will be pushing yourself, and having a baby on board will make it that much tougher. Second point is that after about two days, the fatigue will build up - this can affect your judgement and reactions. So, be aware of this.

Another point based on my experience is that the wheel spanner has a short handle. After the tyre people tighten the wheel nuts, you will find it very difficult if not impossible to open the wheel nuts in case of a puncture, using the stock wheel spanner. What I have done is to carry in the car a 3 feet length of good quality (strong) iron pipe. This can be slipped over the spanner handle to give you the required leverage. Pl see my post at this link:-

http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/monsoon-drive-to-the-south.6826/page-2#post-120395

I also carry with me an air compressor (coido brand, available online), and a good digital TPG (also Coido). These can come in handy. Since you are travelling with wife & baby, carry adequate drinking water, food, baby food etc, etc. There are stretches of road that have no eating joints.

Lastly, enjoy your drive.

Regards
    Johnny
    pdash likes this.
  9. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The only reason to cover 1000KM /Day is, I want to complete the journey in two days. Three days travel will lead to two hotel stay, it will be much more expensive.

I have to at least drive 900Km/day, that will lead to Bangalore to Rajmundry and Rajmundry to Jamshedpur.(Second journey can include one break in Bhubaneswar)

Most of the road are GQ road, I feel, I can maintain good speed if weather and health permits.

So far I have driven 600/Day with my family including baby coluple of times, Did not notice any side effect so far; touch wood.

Now only concern is that how our body will react on 2nd day journey, as I have never driven for 2 continuous days.
  10. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    pdash,

Start your day very early and drive at relaxed speed of 100. instead of 120 .. You will be less tired this way than driving at max speed. Your driving may increase by 1 hour at max by driving a little slower. But you can will less stressed and can do without frequent breaks.
    pdash likes this.