1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Vehicle Health Checklist before Long Drive

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by shashanknathani, Mar 9, 2011.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    Though the manual tells us to check engine oil level approximately five minutes after turning off the engine, to get the correct mesurement, you should check the level when the engine is not hot. The best time to check engine oil level would be morning before starting the engine. When you check the oil level immediately after turning off, or even 5 mins after turning off, part of the oil will still be on the crank shafts, bore, and piston rods. It takes some time for the oil to come down.
  2. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Do practise changing them also ....
    I hv failed DIY bulb change ,,,

Changing the indicator bulbs and number plate bulbs is a breeze

3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

The maximum permissible engine oil consumption as specified by the Linea Owner's Handbook is 400 g per 1000 km = 400*3300/2900 = 455 ml per 1000 km. So, my Linea's engine oil consumption at 300 ml per 1000 km is very safe. The erroneous figure given in my earlier post is regretted.
  4. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

:) Have already done it twice...... The two spare bulbs that FIAT provide with the car are presently doing there job inside the holders...
  5. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

1. Bought two FIAT Punto spare headlight bulbs
    2. Got all fluids checked at TASC (Brake, coolant, Engine oil, Power Steering)
    3. Checked Tires and Air pressure and made sure the spare tire is ready to use, I am using Nitrogen as of now in all five tires.
    4. Got a new number plate as my front one was broken and they were actually fancy ones.
    5. Kept a bottle of distilled water with me and topped up the coolant at TASC.
    6. Original car documents [RC, PUC certificate, insurance policy, etc.] and driving license
    7. I will be carrying the Spare key in my pocket
    8. Have taken an Umbrella
    9. topped up water in the wiper bottle and added some shampoo to it.
    10. Bought an torch, as engine bay doesn't have a light
    11. carrying a first aid kit, the one provided with the vehicle.
    12. carrying phone nos - Road Side Assistance, FIAT SC's on my way
    13. Got my Wheel Balancing and Alignment done yesterday
    14. checked battery health.
    15. Taken a Headlight Relay and few fuses.

All in all i have got my vehicle at Malik cars for Clutch play, Slave Cylinder health, Brake Pads and got other regular oiling and greasing done.
    I was little worried about CSC and even mine is a plastic one.

I am planning to cover 1300kms in one and half day and i know it is gonna be a tough drive...
    Please add more points if i have missed anything.
  6. santhukp

santhukp Amatore

Can someone please tell me how to check the Fuses ?. Where it is located ?
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

You don't need to check them. :)

If a fuse is blown, a light will pop up.
  8. santhukp

santhukp Amatore

I mean the Fuse Box bhai.;)
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

I would also recommend M-Seal , 2 packets at least.
    This is probably a long shot but still it might come in might handy at times when there is some sort of lubes leaking and you want a quick patch for it.
    (If you dont use it on the drive, which i surely hope/pray that you dont, you can always come back and tinker your house plumbings with it!!)
    2 people like this.
  10. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Always Carry a towing rope in the boot and a packet of turmeric powder in case of leakage in radiator