1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Vehicle Health Checklist before Long Drive

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by shashanknathani, Mar 9, 2011.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    My experience: My Linea 1.4 FIRE consumes about 300 ml for every 1000 km. So, I purchased a 4-litre can of Selenia K engine oil and kept it in my garage. My Linea's boot contains a bottle of 1 litre of Selenia K.
  2. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    @Vivek: Thanks for the help mate... I will surely start listening to all the sounds.
    @Ravi: I didn't new this and will surely keep it in my boot... As it will never go waste and can be of help as the trip is long.
  3. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    My experience: My Linea 1.4 FIRE consumes about 300 ml for every 1000 km. So, I purchased a 4-litre can of Selenia K engine oil and kept it in my garage. My Linea's boot contains a bottle of 1 litre of Selenia K.[/quote:1ikcp9ls]

::OO At this rate it would consume 900ml per 3000KM and by the time we reach 12000KM the engine will be empty ::OO ::OO where as FIAT recommends change at 15K.... :confused
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    During my mega trip in last November/December, when I checked the dip-stick @ Jodhpur [after completing about 3500 km], the engine oil level had come down to just above the minimum level and had to fill up about 750 ml of spare Selenia K which I had taken, to make it to the maximum level. Nowadays, a bottle of 1 litre of Selenia K is a permanent luggage in my Linea's boot. Remember, Selenia K is not available at all nook and corners of India unlike other popular brands.
  5. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi

For any kind of leak... really any kind of leak... these fluid are essential as you do not get TASS like MaSS.

please read the manual on how to place the Jack for tyre replacement. if u have not done that already.
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    @ J Ravi,

Either you are wrong in calibration or your car has some serious fault. engine consumes oil quickly only if the piston rings are worn out.
    piston has a compression ring on top then the napear ring and then the oil ring. oil ring retains the oil and provided the lubrication to the piston.
    the oil doesnt go beyond the compression ring. even if does its very very very minute qty.
    if your rings are damaged oil enteres the combustion chamber and burns out.

man 300ml for 1000kms ? am shocked to hear. there are certain cavities in engine and some components which trap oil in them or the oil sticks to them and doesnt lower down completely to the sump. then the level on dip stick shows wrong.
    if you go on adding oil to compensate this then surely you will cause damage to the engine.

i wont recommend you to top up oil.
  7. shashanknathani

Pune
    I have done it already twice and it is quite easy in Punto.... Only worry is that i have nitrogen in all my five tires, now if i any one gets punctured and i get it repaired and refill air in it.. Is it ok to drive car with three tires having Nitrogen and fourth with normal air...
  8. shashanknathani

Pune
    I got two spare headlight bulb and a Headlight fuse (20Amps)... The headlight bulb in Punto cost's 221 per piece... Got Fuse for free.
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Neither my calibration is wrong, nor my Linea has a serious fault. :) Generally, I have heard petrol Lineas consume more engine oil than the diesel version. This what Fiat Linea Owner's Handbook says about engine oil consumption:
    [attachment=0:1kciqv8k]OilConsumption.jpg[/attachment:1kciqv8k]

OilConsumption.jpg
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    In continuation of the above post, Fiat Linea Owner's Handbook also states that 3.3 litres of engine oil weighs 2.9 kg. Accordingly, the back-on-the-envelope calculation shows that 400 g of engine oil should measure 351.5 ml. So, my Linea's engine oil consumption is well within the permissible limits. ::T
    [attachment=0:1x8squ52]OilConsumption2.jpg[/attachment:1x8squ52]

OilConsumption2.jpg