1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Vehicle Health Checklist before Long Drive

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by shashanknathani, Mar 9, 2011.

1. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    While searching on TFI, I could not find any post related to long drives preparation of our Linea's and Punto's.
    Since these cars are good highway cruisers and preferred for long drives. We should give our DIY ideas to prepare the car for long drives.

I am planning one such drive comprising of 1000+ kms in my Punto and is preparing the car for that.

1. Get spare headlight bulbs
    2. Check all fluids (Brake, coolant, Engine oil, Power Steering)
    3. Check for Tires and Air pressure and making sure the spare tire is ready to use
    4. Number plate check, if its broken get it replaced to avoid challans on highway.

I would like you guys to add more and help me make a complete checklist which all of us can use before starting for highway drives.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi
    keep a litre of coolant with you.
  3. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Carry a Punture Repair Kit , along with u !!!!
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Please carry the following:

* Original car documents [RC, PUC certificate, insurance policy, etc.] and driving licence
    * Spare engine oil [especially for petrol versions]
    * Spare key [to be kept separately in a handbag/wallet]
    * Umbrellas
    * Lots of drinking water, fruits, snacks, etc.
    * Lots of coins/currency notes of various denominations to pay for toll
    1 person likes this.
  5. mescotc

mescotc Amatore

Boisar , Tarapur
    How many kms. could a 1.3MJD run at a stretch without halt , in other words at what distance a halt is necessary , in afternoon , & night driving both ?

Atul
  6. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    I am sure the car can go for 500kms and more without any stop, but the driver will need a stop at least every 3-4 hours. This would translate to a around 150-200kms in our road conditions.
  7. shashanknathani

Pune

I forgot to add these two most important ones in the list... Thanks Ravi Ji.
  8. shashanknathani

Pune
    Is it really required.... I got my coolant checked and it is a good mix of Water and coolant... bit on the thicker side only... Will it be good if i just keep distilled water to be added to it in case of level going down.

Is it really required if i check the engine level before start and it is looking perfectly leveled.
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    top up water in your wiper bottle.

carry a good torch, engine bay doesnt have a light. also comes handly in case of puncture.

carry a first aid kit.

carry call important phone nos - RSA, FIAT , friends etc.

before starting off take a map of the route. also googe and find out nearest bunks and fiat service centres enroute.
  10. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    This is what I do before leaving to long journey :

• A week before a planned visit I start looking and listening for any trouble signs. I drive with my ear as keen as a dog and I notice each and very sound that I would usually miss out on daily basis. :car
      I check and recheck Alignment by taking my hands off steering :steering for close to 100 Mtr stretch on straight road and notice any deviation. And I get the alignment done if needed.
      I park my car on dry surface and constantly check for any drip spots under my car.
      I make sure to check all fluid levels(Engine oil, Coolan, Steering and Break oils).
      Check for any damage on my tyres including spare tyre and get them repaired if required.
      I check if all the documents are in Place(RC, Insurance, Pollution, Owner Manuals). I have a copy of every document at my home just in case.
      I have a habit of being vigilant to all warning signs so thats helps me stay away from any kind of surprises.
      I check if there are any service centers along the rout that I am going to take and have their contacts handy.
      I check how many states I am going to cross along my route and see if there is a difference in their vehicle laws.(You may get fined for any kind of sunfilm in Chandigarh and in Punjab most of the times).
      I check my battery health.
      I make sure I wash and wax my car.
      I buy additional headlight and tail light bulbs just in case.
      I get the air pressure checked just the night before.
      On the day I go for a long journey I top up my wiper washer tank water. Check underneath my car one final time for any leakage.
      I make sure I have the spare key in my pocket
      I make sure that almost all the luggage we are carrying fits into cars boot and only things that we would need in the journey like drinks, eatables, towel, tissue box, a camera, Goggles and my wife's handbag :mrgreen:
      Last thing that I do is get a tankful of petrol.......

And off I go to a long fun filled journey....

:wow That was a long list...I never realized I did all this....
    3 people like this.