1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Valve Stem Caps - Are they needed?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by meples, Nov 19, 2014.

1. meples

meples Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi,

It probably sounds a little silly. Are tyre valve caps really necessary? I have lost mine (all four of them) and frankly I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't closely examined it. I saw that the tyres (front ones specially) look under-inflated and I'm now wondering if it is because of the missing valve caps. Do they protect against air loss? If yes, where can I get them and how much do they cost?

Valve_Caps_with_Fiat_Logo_large.jpg
  2. selwyn.a

selwyn.a Amatore

KA51
    GA01
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I don't think valve caps will have any significant impact on air loss. Few PSI air loss in couple of weeks is a normal thing.
    And by seeing at price, it is certainly not "necessary" :).
  4. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is due to engine weight on the front wheels.
  5. meples

meples Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Thanks Selwyn.A for the links.

Now looking at what everyone's saying, I guess I shouldn't worry much about them.
    Thanks everyone!
  6. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The Valve cap mainly does of protecting the value from mud and slug also incase that is a very rear probablity, if you have a leakage in the value pin it can block the leakage and can prolong the air loss for a little time which can come in handy..
    Ravi likes this.
  7. selwyn.a

selwyn.a Amatore

KA51
    GA01
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @meples you're welcome . if you happen to pass any neighborhood tyre shop/repair guy, you can ask for the normal black plastic caps, which should be quite cheap. just for peace of mind.