1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Vague Gear Behaviour !!

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by naveen, Jan 27, 2012.

1. naveen

naveen Novizio

Hyderabad
    I recently got my Grande Punto 1.3's pressure plates replaced under warranty as the gear shift became hard in 1st, 2nd and reverse gears. After the replacement it was good for about 2 to 3 weeks.

A week back there was some weird noise (as if sand is stuck in the gear rod) from Gear rod while driving and all of a sudden it has become very very smooth, I could change gears with my fingers with out any effort a simple push with finger would do!! took it to the SC and informed the technician, he confirmed its some loose bolt and tightened it. It was normal until day before yesterday.

Yesterday all of a sudden gear shift became very smooth and after some time it became very Hard, since then cycle is getting repeated. I am taking the vehicle to SC tomorrow.

Did anyone else experience this ? Also what could be the issue ??
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Navin , I hate this type of half-hathered works of TATA guys.Your dealer only changed Pressure plate. He ought to have replaced complete clutch assly.It contains Clutch plate,Pressure plate & clutch thrust bearing. Then it would have done perfect task.Additionaly he ought to have replaced CSC also with a new one Metal.Currently which CSC do you have ? Plastic or metal ?This type of problem may be due to faulty CSC Or air in clutch line.BTW how much odometer reading you have clocked ?Noise you are talking I think it may be due to improper fitting of clutch assly. Once my dealer had opened clutch & refitted. After that I got replacement of Clutch Assly from another dealer.That time I saw my pressure plate had hammering marking due to improper fitting of clutch by the dealer of my home city.This may be due to direct fitting of clutch assly without use of special tool. Special tool is called as Clutch Alignment rod.This tool is installed in the centre of flywheel prior to fitting of clutch assly. After fitting & tightening nuts of clutch assly tool is removed. This tool is used to fit the clutch assly correctly at centered position to the flywheel.If alignment is improper then this type of problems may occure.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
    2 people like this.
  3. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    Please check if you have vertical play(up-down) in gear lever and does it effect the gear change by pressing down or by pulling up the gear lever.
  4. naveen

naveen Novizio

Hyderabad
    Thanks for the reply Jotinder. No, there isn't any play (up or down) and it doesn't effect the gear change if I press it down or try to pull it up.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Thanks for the reply Bhai. My vehicle has clocked 25k and is an year old. Got my CSC Changed to steel during first service.
  5. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    Get it checked at Ass
  6. naveen

naveen Novizio

Hyderabad
    Today I got the vehicle checked and to my surprise technician at the service centre confirmed that Gear shift is perfect and just lubricated it. After lubrication, gear shift was ok for about 20 kms and back to routine :eek:

How do I simulate it to these idiots, someone please advice.
  7. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    First give a call to your SA stating the issue is not resolved incase he does not help then post a complaint on Fiat Website, stating the precise problem and remedy provided by ASS.
  8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ Navin

Unless & until you don' install new clutch assly as posted by me as above, problem will exist.

By lubricating cable Tata done only first aid & temporary remeady. They are famous for that job
  9. naveen

naveen Novizio

Hyderabad
    I have already informed the SA, CRM and the Works Manager at the service centre. Also since the start I have kept informed all the officials from Fiat about this issue on a visit to visit basis.

Yesterday I spoke to Customer Services Manager of Fiat(Hyderabad ), Mr Prasanna and told him if they cant get it resolved ASAP I would post the review about the service centre inability to fix simple issues on my rear windsheild and hire a driver to roam around the city. Along with this issue I have dashboard noise and passenger side seat belt rattling.

He has asked for a day time and told me he will get back by today (Monday) evening with a permanent fix. Lets hope for the best !!

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

Sure Bhai, will check with the SC. Also I have just checked the old invoice when they have replaced the pressure plates, it says Cluctch Kit. Does it mean entire Clutch assembly or just the pressure plates. Also price was around 4k excluding the labour charges.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  10. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Can you just bleed the clutch and see the performance? Since you are not facing the issue always and it is intermittent there might be air which could cause this. Bleed throughly and check