1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Using olive oil to clean car interiors

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by vinit, Apr 26, 2015.

1. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Hi,

One of my friend advised me to use olive oil to clean the car's interior plastics.. He gave me the demo also on his Honda city.. He took some olive oil on a paper napkin and polished the car's plastics and it started shining as new.. He also did the same thing for the leather seats and the result was instantly visible.. He said that its the natural way (without any chemicals that are present in the dashboard cleaner products) and longlasting too.. Has anyone tried this in Linea / Punto ? If yes, hows the experience ??

Regards
  2. autowierdo

autowierdo Amatore

Pune
    I have used engine oil for outside plastics, result is good but attracts dust a lot.
  3. Lunafiatic

Lunafiatic Amatore

Pune-Mumbai-Pune
    Olive oil for interiors? Sounds interesting but my question is why only olive oil and not any other oil. Also, will it not attract any dust on the interiors?
  4. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Well, what i saw was, the olive oil got soaked up very quickly on his city 's plastics. And the overall feel was pretty non sticky, clean and dry. May be olive oil may have certain properties which makes it useful for such purposes..
  5. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    dashboard cleaning spray/upholstery cleaner itself will be cheaper than olive oil in india, with much better results . It wont be sticky and would last longer too !
  6. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    The sprays / cleaners are basically chemicals and if the car is usually parked in the open hot sun, they evaporate and you have to breathe these chemicals.. Olive oil is natural and doesnt have these side effects..
  7. miteshpunjani

miteshpunjani Amatore

vadodara-gujarat
    Olive oil may get rotten and smell also. Also as mentioned above it may be costly option to clean the car interiors.
  8. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Can anyone then suggest quality product brands (spray / cleaner) for dashboard cleaning / polishing in Linea / Punto ??
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Try some shop or Fasc using Wuerth products. The dashboard polishes are pretty good.
    kedarbendre likes this.
  10. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    DON'T use any vegetable oil on car interiors. All vegetable oils get oxydised and turn rancid. It will smell horrible after a while.
    kedarbendre likes this.