1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Used Petrol -- Fiesta 1.6 or Punto 1.4 (kiirus planned)

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by reggaerahul, Oct 11, 2014.

1. reggaerahul

reggaerahul Novizio

Pune, Maharashtra
    Hi all,

Posting here after a long time. I currently drive a Palio Multijet and loving it but in a mood to explore the petrols. I have come across a 1.6 Fiesta Leather version ABS and also a Emo pack Punto , both 2010 and 32kkm on the odo, well maintained from an individual seller. I am comparing a sedan and a hatch here and I understand that but I think they are comparable price wise and have some very good things like handling and ride quality in common. My heart wants this Punto but can't say I did not like the Fiesta, anyways, lemme put my observations here and may be you guys can help if possible :

1) Performance - Fiesta was more drivable, was pulling clean in 3rd from even 20, was peppy, ofcourse its a 100bhp 1.6 ~ 146nm of torque, so thats natural. But Punto did not feel underpowered with 3 in car, bit sluggish in 1st gear but 2nd was good. Liked revving them both. I'd need your opinions on the Kiirus upgrade of Punto but thats a different topic and I don't want this to be solely dependent on it. But remember I am addicted to that 3rd gear with multijet diesel :-/ but revving is fun too right :-?)

2) Handling - Fiesta felt lighter and more agile esp at lower speeds. Didn't get a good chance to test this particular Punto but I have driven others many times and I think Punto'd win here but its hard due to Fiestas chukability, smaller turning radius. In terms of maneuvering, Punto felt bit heavier than Fiesta, again the low end torque would differentiate this I guess.

3) Ride - Punto. I anticipated Fiesta would be similar. Its great really but did not feel like a big car despite of being a bigger one. I think its proven for Punto already, so won't write too much. That guy had just put a set of Pirellies on Punto, so tyre profile and stuff would surely matter here.

4) Safety : Emo pack has airbags, Fiesta doesn't. I respect and consider a car with airbags as an essential and noteworthy upgrade.

Other than that, Punto is ofcourse higher on equipment levels. The guy had fixed clutch issue, and pulling issue and put on new tyres (Pirelli) and has invested in the latest servicing so was bit stubborn on negotiating naturally. Exterior wise Fiesta was maintained well.. My heart wants that Punto and I feel I am not really done with the hot hatches (couple months back, I had almost finalized on a TJet but somehow thought it was too big for me and I wasn't ready for it yet , many would call it a mistake) but Fiesta has that awesome engine..

I anticipate both of them would be similar on mileage figures. My monthly running would be 800-1000kms... With a lot of filters in the used cars, you'd really have to wait and wait and then left with very few choices..
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Fiesta, Fiesta. Its screaming. If its petrol it has to be the Fiesta. Since it does not have airbags, I assume its a ZXi variant. As its 2010 make, the Fiesta still has the genes of the FTD car until they introduced the classic.

I would say the money will be the deciding factor. Do let us know of the decision.
    GP_Freak likes this.
  3. reggaerahul

reggaerahul Novizio

Pune, Maharashtra
    Thanks ghodlur .. Yes, its a 2010 ZXi leather variant..

How has been your experience in terms of maintaining the Ford ? Any niggling issues ? Expensive service ?
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    1.6 Fiesta is definitely fun to drive than the 1.4 of Fiat. Decide what you need, performance or Comfort.
    I would pick 1.6. :)
  5. reggaerahul

reggaerahul Novizio

Pune, Maharashtra
    Man !!!
    Guys, remember this is Fiat forum, you should support me even if I make a wrong decision thats in favor of Fiat, so Punto it is right ;) and it has alloys too.. LOL

Just kiddin.. I think I'd need some time to know whats the final price both of em settling on. Currently both of them are quoting too high..
  6. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    After going through what you have said, I feel missing the Tjet was a mistake
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    No major niggling issues except for the soft suspensions but thats isnt the deal breaker. The service is at par with the industry standards and I wouldnt term it as expensive. The spares were relatively cheaper and available. I did have a good time with the Fiesta, in fact I still do coz its with my bro in law. The thrust the 1.6 lt engine brings make the smile into a mini laugh.
  8. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I havent driven a stock fiesta 1.6 but only a fully pimped 1.6S,(having bilstein,BMC,miltek pipes, remap,etc) belongs to my friend, .. that was one hell of a machine , i was clinging for my life and felt like my punto is crawling and not going anywhere, afterwards. Its definitely a better bet compared to punto 1.4 .. but i think you can make the 1.4 also go fast with good set of mods n not just remap, which aint gonna do a lot in NA cars ! I guess you can get a 1.4 for better price giving more money for performance mods ;) But .......there is no replacement for displacement :D
    ?oh=6216d2f777266820e3b63dfd7e8407a5&oe=54C8AB46&__gda__=1422189773_1508821776f5d9afec02db9d7ec08949
    C_S and 5u3zEr0 like this.
  9. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @reggaerahul Well well well ... Did I read it right .. You haggled for a T-JET and let it go.

I bought a Punto MultiJet Sports and still long for T-JET . I test drove MJD 90 HP multiple times but T-JET only twice.

The first one I was completely floored by the engine and the driving dynamics. The second one just to feel the legend again.

Just one word for T-JET ... SIMPLY MIND BLOWING.

Why didn't I get one then? I wanted an diesel as we do quite a bit of road trips. Mine has already clocked close to 9K in 4 months and majority on highway. I bike to my office everyday 40 kms two way. So one can figure that 80% of my travel is on highways. Second I wanted a hatchback as my wife drives too. Linea would have been quite big for her as she started driving a year back. Third I have a thing for hot hatches which even I do not understand. I know that true blue sedans are better handlers and dynamically more sorted. But I still find hatches more desirable.

If Punto had a T-JET version it would have been a real dilemma for me. Would buy a T-JET for sure may be 2-3 years down the line after Punto Abarth is launched.

Between T-JET and Fiesta 1.6S, T-JET would be a better overall package though.
    Engine - T-JET
    Dynamics and Handling - Tie
    Braking - T-JET
    Nimbleness - Fiesta
    Steering - Tie
    Build - T-JET

This is purely my personal observation. T-JET owners can pitch in. I haven't driver either of vehicles extensively. Both were test drives and this is comparo is based on those short drives. Never driven a Punto 1.4 so cannot comment. But 1.6 Fiesta should be better. But whats the use without all safety features. I would go with one which has better safety features.
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Keep the Palio mjd, and get a bike instead: is what i'd do in your place. ;-)

The Punto 1.4 fire's pretty potent on the open road (gears 3+), very very reliable engine, and should, like all Fiat engines, be mod friendly.

cheers