1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

USB charging the clutter free solution

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by jojo thattil, Oct 11, 2013.

1. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Yeah, it has slots for 2 fuses. One for the original circuit, one for the tapped one. The kit comes only with 1 fuse.

I threw the charger towards the right of the fuse box for now and was able to close the lid nicely. There is enough room there but i still need to organise it.

Routed wiring thru the A pillar thru the roof. Viny's "diy footwell lights" thread was helpful to understand the wire routing.

Warning: Make special note of the +ive and -ive terminal of the charger before connecting power to it, the spring terminal is the positive. I was well aware of that but managed to connect it in reverse and BOOM - the capacitor on the charger blew up like a cracker, i soldered another capacitor i had and it is working.

A few bolts holding the fuse box touch the chassis of the car, so they can be used as the -ive. I crimped a ring terminal and bolted it such that it has good contact with the chassis.

jojo- apologies for hijacking ur thread, but the title is apt so i decided to add details here since it is recent and active

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk now Free
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

View attachment 53432

In the image i posted the Fuse tap should be installed in the inverted direction to work correctly since the lower port of the fuse socket is the one that has 12 V. It's a bit tricky to explain in writing but im sure most people will get what i am trying to say. I'll try to post pics later anyway.

Now, due to lack of space the Fuse tap cannot be installed inverted in the ciggy lighter fuse socket. I decided to use the Fuse 37 Socket instead after quickly checking that is turns on only when the key is inserted.

I would have preferred using the Sub Woofer fuse socket but that one stays on even when the car is turned OFF for some reason.

Quick view of the cross section and Voltage flow when it is fed from the lower pin vs the upper pin.

Fuse tap.jpg

3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Thanks for clarifying that. I was about to ask you that question. The subwoofer fuse is powered without the key, as the car allows you to play music, without the key :D

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  4. jojo thattil

jojo thattil Timido

to all of you, i am happy that my thread is hijacked, never expected so much to happen it.....!, but since knowledge increases with sharing i am grateful to all of you who contribute...welcome..