1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

USB charging the clutter free solution

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by jojo thattil, Oct 11, 2013.

1. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Nice idea. you didn't mention from where power was sourced for the usb's?

I think the storage area on top of the Ac vents would have been more discreet. That Part is easily detachble, so one can work on cutting and finishing better in that area.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk now Free
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nice DIY bro.
    Im using a Belkin Device 12vdc to AC converter for 2010INR.This gives me option to charge laptop,run a potable TV,Home theatre many more which fits in 100watts.why 100watts,this is in safety zone as compared to ciggi lighter ratings.
    I have installed Home Audio 2.1 Sony system in my punto.Just a cheapest solution i had.
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I have another socket beneath the arm rest it's not visible unless observed but functional nonetheless

Sent from my Q1000 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  4. jojo thattil

jojo thattil Timido

Anand
    Thankyou all for the inputs, my mseal overlay is done though it is not the right color as the dash but looks contrasting, i will paint it black once the mseal hardens fully and does not fall off mseal-overlay.jpg

- - - Merged Post - - -

1 the power is sourced form a +ve red wire (i pricked one with a pin, checked if the current cuts when the key is removed) cut the sleeve only and made a branch connection just above the clutch padel (you will need to open the plastic, the -ve is from a ground wire black which is grounded there with the body.

I did not want the cables in the way moreover the back of the charger needed space to remain there
    2 people like this.
  5. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Nice, Looking much better now.

By the way, I went the plug and play way and avoided stripping wires to tap power.

Fuse Tap.jpg

Fuse tap inserted into the Ciggy ligther slot that turns OFF when ignition Key is removed. The setup is Fuse protected, so appropriate fuses can be installed for each circuit to avoid damaging stock wiring in case of overload.

Fuse tap1.jpg

Was too lazy to drive into the city to buy a DC to DC converter to stepdown to 5V. So did a post mortem of a old ciggy ligther charger i had to achieve the same results.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    3 people like this.
  6. jojo thattil

jojo thattil Timido

Anand
    thanks

yes, the inverter has many options, most cheapest is the one that the hawkers use to light the CFL lamps, though i have never tried one, this converts 12vdc to 230v ac and might meet individual needs like laptop charging, can be permanently hard wired with a fuse and switch in series to avoid clutter. A 230 ac led indicator would also help ensure the device working.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Wow! i was not aware of such a possibility, i think now all car makers should provide a +ve terminals set with individual fuse for add on permanent fit devices..
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Cool. Where did you get that? Any links? I need a few of those :D

Rajan
  8. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Aliexpress. Free shipping from China, received in 13 days flat thru Indiapost.
  9. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    1 person likes this.
  10. Fayad

Fayad Amatore

Tvm
    looks good now :)

nice, so there are 2 fuses for the 2circuits?
    where did you place the charger?

I think this is a good solution to avoid the hanging wires for navigation system/dashcam etc if you route the wires through the A pillar to the device.