1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

USB charging the clutter free solution

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by jojo thattil, Oct 11, 2013.

1. jojo thattil

jojo thattil Timido

Anand
    I hate Clutter, i was overjoyed when i saw that fiat had placed the usb port inside the clove compartment in the punto emotion, so i bought a usb splitter, connected my pendrive with media files and the phone charger to the other but became disappointed when the phone took long to charge with respect to the consumption of battery when using gps, gprs, and bluetooth.

Secondly the cigarette charger is placed behind the gear stick because of which the cable was always a hindrance, this was the height of frustration.

The Solution
    I bought a off the shelf 2 port usb charger as shown below and pryed it open, removed the contact terminals and soldered red and black wires respectively, made a slot in in the dash to keep the cables out of normal functions and screwed it in place as shown in the image below

Result
    Now i have a 1000mA and 2500mA port that can charge my smartphone battery @ 1% per minute, also 2 at the same time

Future
    I plan to install a similar one at the back to at the back or side of the center console for the kid's i-pads, putting it at the back may get damaged if steeped upon, am still working on the final location

12v2pusb.jpg

IMG_20131011_081429[1].jpg
    1 person likes this.
  2. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

I hate Clutter
    And you drilled your dash for USB ports,not for me;thanks
    3 people like this.
  3. Hmm, functionality over aesthetics
  4. jojo thattil

jojo thattil Timido

Anand
    I am working on a overlay for the screws and the cut edges, to match the dash texture and look built in, will post it soon
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Good job. I would have chosen a more discrete location, though.

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  6. Yes , i added one more charging port in my car I chose the gearbox console for it.
  7. rpm19050

rpm19050

Delhi
    i think the best location would be the cutout in the b&m box for ppl who have b&m. for the back, the rear bench armrest?
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    As long as it serves your needs, good enough. But it looks awful. One suggestion can be to try the same at this location rather than chopping up the dashboard.

usb.JPG
    6 people like this.
  9. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi Jojo, I like the DIY. But clicked one question after reading this http://www.teamfiat.co.in/do-yourself/10856-drink-stand-organiser.html

Though you have a battery bank, why you want to use another charging point?

If I had the same, I haven't even looked for the charging solution in car itself.

This is my view of looking at your DIY.

Your needs might different than what I'm guessing.

But for the next time please share your thoughts with TFians.

And please don't think somebody will hijack your concept here. :)
  10. jojo thattil

jojo thattil Timido

Anand
    I am an industrial product designer and end up in remote under construction sites with almost no facility to charge, also use the GPS a lot, the battery bank is my back up when i am not in the car, the kids drain their i-pad when we are on holiday, so the battery bank and the need for the extra ports, i would be very happy if people hijack my ideas and just post a picture in return, it can tell me how things can be done better, or where i was wrong. Thanks for the input
    3 people like this.