1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Usage Life of Turbo

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Totally Agree.!!:up
  2. How to clean the turbo blades from all the soot may be dirt passing thru air filter? this may directly affect life of turbo.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    That's a really major DIY. People seem to be doing it with some chemicals also, but the only real way is removing the turbo and cleaning it thoroughly.

Since such a major DIY is not really easy, all i can say is just follow good practices. Change the air filter when you feel it's not doing the job well , check all the intake plumbing joints so that there is no air leakage ( raw air = dusty air) , avoid lugging ( to reduce sooting of exhaust side) and work the turbo hard often on an open road for a long-ish stretch.

These are just good practices. Results will most probably vary.

Cheers.
    3 people like this.
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    I would say you must worry about the other side i.e exhaust side of the turbo more than the intake side. VGT gets stuck as soon as soot builds up.
    1 person likes this.
  5. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    1 person likes this.
  6. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    My original turbo lasted me for around 60000 Kms before it started to whine. I think sometimes starting/stopping discipline gets difficult to follow in daily city driving and hectic schedule.Also one has to face the irritation of the co- passengers when u try to follow the 1-2 min starting and stopping rules.
  7. Italia-Linea

Pune
    I strictly follow the idling before and after the drive. When i park in office, i get down with engine on, pick my laptop go round the car and at the very end shut down the engine. So in all 1 minute timepass :)

Apart from that the main culprit of failure is the engine oil. I always advice people to change the selenia at 7500kms itself. Clean oil = clean bearing journals = more turbo life.
    1 person likes this.
  8. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore

I follow this routine too whenever i stop my car. I will find something or the other to fiddle around to spend a minute or two before i switch off the vehicle. However, i cannot do this while i cold start the car. Mostly i drive it right away after starting but make sure that i dont rev up the engine much. With the numbers thrown in here, my VGT is currently finished half of it life - 30k on odo :eek:
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  9. bna

bna Novizio

Bangalore
    I also religiously follow the idling before and after the drive.
    As mentioned by Italia-Linea its always better to change the engine oil @7500.
  10. Italia-Linea

Pune
    I strongly suggest you to follow it 110% during cold start. Cold start is the period where 99% of the wear and tear occurs in an engine. Turbo does last long. Dont get a feeling that 60k is the life :)