1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Usage Life of Turbo

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Apr 23, 2012.

1. I met a reputed tuner last Saturday, while talking out turbo, he mentioned that life of VGT turbo is around 6000 Kms and FGT to be around 80-90000 kms.

As per him although turbo will not fail it's effectiveness will come down,as there there it will significant damage to turbo blades due to high RPM it operates in and peoples choice of going with poor quality lubricants.

People who have clocked those miles in their cars please give your candid/unbiased opinion.

-Sat
  2. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @sat chit ananda

VGT might be 60k KMS not 6k are you sure?? And yeah engine oil factor is true.Many people prolong the use of oil hence damaging the turbo or reduce its effectiveness.It's better to change oil at short intervals and use fully synthetic oil to keep the turbo in good health.

A K&N has always been a big NO NO to me.I recommend everyone to stay away from it.It has given results but at huge cost.Engine gettin seized cuz of lack of oil etc.Seen a few cases of my frends avengers engine gettin seized.And also read a quite a few cases on xbhp.com too.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  3. Aaron,
    It is 60K not 6K,it is typo.
    Below forum was discussing the turbo failure issie
    Turbo Life Expectancy - Page 2 - TDIClub Forums
    Having sold hundreds of turbos almost everyone knows that I always ask a few questions before sending out a turbo. With that in mind these are the most common failure points that I've been seeing, lately and over time:

1) As DBW said, chip or nozzles--you exceed the design limits. If you're running chip/nozzles etc... make sure you have a boostvalve. It's a good safety device.
    2) Wrong oil/hot shutdowns cooking seals; hard to prove hot shutdowns so I tend to group it into the abuse catigory. However, we are seeing a lot of Rotella users lately that have cooked turbos (about 10 in the last 4-months or so). Since they changed the formula of Rotella it appears that it does NOT protect the turbo the way it did in the past. Some of the turbos we've had torn down I was told had blue heat markings internally which tends to support the claim that they are running hot. I wouldn't recommend that oil anymore for those reasons.
    3) As OH said, driving like granny and/or compressor surge from full throttle at low RPM.
    4) Improper air filtration; usually K&Ns letting foreign matter get through, but there are a fair share of stock snowscreen-less users out there that are sandblasting their turbo over time....this is why I like the cold region air filter regardless of climate.

As a general rule, I'm seeing most failures on VNT15s to be in the 120-200k range, which a few under 100k and some over 300k. I know some people with over 500k on the original VNT15; unmodded.

GT15s/K03s are in the 180-250k range. Had a Passat the other day that was approaching 350k when his went.

And as has been said, treat it well and it'll last a long time.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Firstly, there is no relation between lubricants affecting the turbo blades. Lubricant does not even touch the blades. It only goes to the fluid bearing of the turbo.

What does affect the turbo blades is :

1. Poor quality air filter. More dust entering the turbo - more the damage.
    2. Soot, especially from the diesel engine. The exhaust turbine blades in this case. More soot - more inefficient the operation of the turbo becomes.

And what affects turbo in general -
    - Poor habits like revving cold engine. Racing the cold engine straightaway without letting it warm up.
    -No idling prior to shutdown or when doing a cold start
    -Prolonged oil changes. FIAT may state 15,000km but i disagree completely.

Like any other part of the engine, the turbo does need maintenance. It is a very popular DIY among people who know their stuff to clean the turbo inside out and they have it working back to full efficiency again. Especially the sticking vanes of the VGT.

With proper maintenance i don't see why the turbo will last less than the engine itself. Turbo's have lasted for lakhs of km's and with proper care always will. They are built tough (atleast the genuine ones).

Cheers.
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I agree that FGT may have life of 60 k.
    Coz I am facing noticable turbo-lag in my DDiS clocked 40k. I repeat noticable turbo-lag

I mean 40 k out of 60k i.e. more than 50% life is over of turbo of my DDiS.

But I am surprised that there is super turbo-lag in my 90 HP between 1000 to 1400 RPM.:-o
  6. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Guru normally what kind of maintenance is done for the turbos ? I dont want to get my Turbos spoiled by inexperienced mechanics @ TASS. Is there any recommended interval for servicing turbo ? Will there be any consumable replacement required during the service ?
  7. Ferrariscdr

Ferrariscdr Amatore

Karnataka
    There is separate thread for Turbo maintenance and also highlighted similar facts by users in this thread...

8. No, I get people all the time that have 40-70k miles, it's just not often... this is the comment by a dealer who sell turbo's.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    If i hadn't been driving around in a 22 year old Toyota turbodiesel driven by the original factory turbo, i too would've believed turbo's have a short life span.

If you'll maintain it, it will last as long as the engine. Improper use kills turbos. This is an often ignored aspect of turbo engines. People drive it around like NA engines.

Manufacturers like BMW implemented a water pump system which kept pumping water to the turbo for a certain duration even after the car was switched off , to help cool down the turbo and prevent any damage. Since our economy cars do not have such high end features, we'll have to be proactive. Else, a failed turbo is not a question of IF but when.

Cheers.
  10. S.K

S.K

mumbai
    Hi all
    I had indigo tdi it was sold after 125k kms in the entire ownership turbo was not touched
    I followed to keep engine idle for min before start & stop.