1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Urgent suggestion required regarding a chennai to somewhere trip this weekend

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by naveen2cool, Jan 1, 2013.

1. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Yes - very much. I had been there in October last year along with my Kid. I took the Chennai - Salem - Palladam - Pollachi - Valparai onwards and stayed there for 2 days. I visited Balaji Temple and Sholayar Dam - Couldn't visit top slip as it was closed, it might be open now. The route is fantastic all the way but ghats aren't the usual likes of Ooty and Kodai. The roads are bit narrow but manageable and more fun than other ghats. On the return we took Valparai - Solayar Dam - Sholayar Forest - Athirampally Falls - Thrisur - Palakkad - Coimbatore - Salem - Chennai. We had a longish route because my family wanted to visit Athirampally falls. Agains roads are good except the Thrissur - Vadankachery stretch.
    1 person likes this.
  2. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    So its valparai and just one more day for departure

Teky I did call the number in that site. thanks for that. He said that he has accomodations available. I also called green hills hotel. Will visit valparai and check in any of them.
    Tried calling Parambikulam but no one is picking up. Tried with a local contact as well but he asked for some time. Guess I should have planned this trip few weeks earlier.
    Anyways
    Here is the initial itenary

To start from chennai on friday evening around 5 P.M . Travel till 11 P.M. Find some highway hotel and have a sleep. Will I be able to find some hotel to sleep enroute?
    Start from the hotel and reach valparai on Saturday afternoon and check in to hotel room.
    Will be staying in valparai from Saturday afternoon till tuesday morning.
    Start from valparai on tuesday morning for the return jouney to chennai and reach chennai by tuesday evening.

I have decided to take the route suggested by Teky for the journey
    Chennai - Salem - Palladam - Pollachi - Valparai

Please give some suggestions regarding places to refill, have food etc and also the places to see around valparai in these 3 days.

This is the first time I'm going for a long drive. Any kind of suggestion will be really helpful for me.
  3. Naveen, great that you chose Valparai, but stay away from Green Hills hotel. It is just a very moderate place.

Reg route, please stick to Chennai-Villupuram-Trichy-Dindigul-Udulmalpet-Kaikatti-Sungam-Aliyar-Valparai.

You can halt at Trichy for the night. This is the best route which will ensure a wonderful drive.

Do PM me your number, will call you for the route.
    3 people like this.
  4. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    @naveen2cool

If y chance you are thinking of driving from Valparai to Athirampally falls...please do it @ day time

Its about 100kms of road with absoultely no human civilization..heavy forested area with loads of elephants :)

But it must be seen to believe..amazing route this..

Not sure how is the road condition now
    1 person likes this.
  5. Best Route. Till Dhindivanam the roads are kinda uneven. Then till dindigul you will have a awesome drive. Dindigul to Sungam is not 4lane roads but still drive will be good. Aliyar to Vaalparai the ghats are the so good on a punto. Enjoy the Drive. If possible visit Sholayar dam, you can drive the car till the dam, but to find the route you have inquire with the locals. There are two ways to go to the dam, each ways leading to two different sides. The road that extends to sholayar dam (not the village) from Vaalparai is not a nice place to visit and also crowded as most of the people who wants to visit the dam takes this road (side). The other side is very lonely, only very few locals will be there with their cattle and washing clothes. Go to Sholayar, in the village ask for the road that leads to the other end of the dam. The streach is just 4 - 5 kms but you will feel a bit of 'off roading' and also unleashing of MJD.

Please use this map image for reference. The red line I have drawn alongside the road leads to the place I am talking about. The google map couldn't find a route for that place hence I did it myself.

UpperSholayarDam.jpg

Happy Trip !
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

Chennai
    if you are driving in night better you can take chennai- trichy-Dindigul route. chennai-uluntuurpet -salem is good better you can avoid in night driving . ulunthurpet-salem road is good but many areas its just two lane without a divider and many villagers will come in the opposite side ( in the four lane).

you can stay in trichy, lot of hotels are available but if you cross trichy then dindigul will be the only option and you will be having very limited hotels.

if you choose salem route, you can stay in perunthurai (where members stayed during TFI south India meet). I am not sure about the feedback of this hotel. salem might have more hotels but might be little expensive.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Wonderful talking to you Naveen. Check this link for the route I suggested.

Chennai-Vandalur-Villupuram-Trichy-Dindigul-Palani-Udumalpet-Mukkonam-Sungam-Aliyar-Valparai

On entering Trichy, you need to divert away to get onto Dindigul road, so you need to be watchful. I guess the 2nd fly over on entering Trichy is the exit that you need to take to get onto Dindigul.

The diversion to Sungam is after you cross Udumalpet.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?sadd...1SkVkPGfA&mra=dme&mrsp=4&sz=11&via=1&t=m&z=15

Some details that might be of some help is in my travelogue : http://www.teamfiat.co.in/street-travel-experience/2916-chennai-valparai.html

Do check out the woodbrier estates for your stay and feel free to call me whenever you need help.
    1 person likes this.
  8. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

Chennai
    Anandh, i think we need to take a right in the 3rd flyover for dindigul, once we cross the cauvery river bridge I think we will have 3 flyover and i am sure we need to take the last one.

Naveen, better you can ask the locals for dindigul route in the 2nd flyover. they will guide you. even u can use this way to reach trichy main bus stand (where many hotels available nearby).
    1 person likes this.
  9. Thanks for the clarification Dhans! This is the confusing part in Trichy, last time there was no proper sign boards for the same. Hope they have placed it now.
  10. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

Chennai
    they have sign boards in each flyover, Naveen i think you need to take the second flyover which has a sign board to dondigul & trichy city. its always a confusing part and better you can ask the locals at second flyover.

Naveen you will be having the ponmalai railway flyover after than take right at the second flyover which leads to dindigul.
    1 person likes this.