1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Urgent help on Drive shaft needed, Grease leaking

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by theblack, Oct 8, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Guys today i had been to my trusted mechanic for a turbo hose change and while he was inspecting the under chassis, he showed me that the grease had leaked from the drive shaft(box,blade, not sure what its called).
    It looked like the leakage has squirted to many places , i could see Considerable" grease sticking to the oil sump as well.

So far at least the grease has not smeared itself onto the drive belt so i'm not getting any noise but that might happen soon..

Here is my problem
    My car has done 33330kms and if i'm right the Extended warranty runs out at 35k.
    I'm going to pune in a short while that will easily make my odo cross 35k.

I remember I had visited TASS for a drive shaft issue(what i thought it was) 5-6 months ago and the mechanic there had told me that he will do some greasing and the noise should go away. The Khat Khat noise has gone away ever since and even now i dont have that noise but i want to get it replaced under warranty itself...

Help Needed.
    Since the noise is not coming while i turn the steering either way its difficult to convince the TASS folks that the drive shaft has to be changed.
    I can only show them the grease leak but not sure if that will be sufficient to get the EW for replacement.

I'd like to know what i can tell them so that they will get convinced and get the EW done.

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

the EW says

Drive shaft and couplings, constant velocity joints, hub, drive flange.

Failure of which one of the above (if any) can be attributed to the grease leak i've mentioned?
  2. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    There is nothing much to worry if there isn't any noise. Change the boot shafts and you should be good to go, Please check my thread for further details. Boot shaft can't be covered under warranty for known reasons!
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    If there isn't any noise from (CV Joint) ball bearing of drive shaft just put in sufficient amount of long life grease and new rubber boot in place of old torn boot.
    I am 99% sure dealer would say it isn't available as a spare and whole drive shaft needs to changed, insist that it is available as spare and he would order one for you.
    It won't be covered under standard or EW warranty. Drive Shafts are covered under warranty only if there is noise from it when boot is undamaged and no marks of external hit are there.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  4. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    i also had same issue with drive shaft , 1st they changed grease as well as drive shaft boot clip (grease & boot clip is orderd from fiat ,Boot clip is like use n throw type u can use it only for once ) but it worked fine only about 2 mouths after again same noise and leak after that , they changed whole drive shaft under Extended warranty.. so insist them to replace drive shaft with new
  5. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad

What does this mean? Extended Warranty ends after 35 K? My car is 1 yr old and has done 37 k already. I thought only the Suspension warranty ends at 35K. Can anyone elaborate?
  6. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Extended warranty means 2+2 year warranty or 1.5L Km which ever comes earlier, You are correct Vignesh, Suspension warranty last till 35K under 2years warranty.

You have to buy extended warranty at the time of purchase or within 2 years of normal warranty ( if I am not wrong on second part).

Parts covered ( details are below from my Extended warranty Book):-

Engine,Clutch, Transmission, Coolant, Steering system, Front wheel drive, Fuel system, Brake system, Suspension, Casings.

Emission Warranty:- 26months extended emission warranty or 80000 Km ( cumulative mileage), whichever is earlier.
  7. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Thanks Suman, However that didn't answer my actual question.

So, As per my understanding, the drive shaft (Which i believe is not related to the suspension) that is being discussed here should not have any problems with the 35K Kilometer-age to be covered under warranty/ EW.
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Once the boot is torn out the grease spills out. Torn boot is fatal for drive shaft. If it has just started leaking just changing boot and regreasing will do. However if there is a problem and you have warranty get it done in warranty.
  9. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Yes Vignesh, drive shaft & coupling comes under Front wheel drive details section and these covers under EW too.
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    got back from a visit to TASS. They diagnoised the problem to be a loosened clip of the shaft boot.
    So there was some amout of grease added to it and then they tightened it up.

For now the issue is resolved but i'm not sure if that is the exact problem here.
    The TASS folks told me that there WILL be some amount of leak if excess grease has been added but then when i asked why only the right side was leaking while the left side was intact they had no good answer and pointed to only the loose clip.

I"m going to drive the car as is for a while and see if it leaks again and then take a call on it.
    Any advices ?