1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

URGENT HELP : External hard disk full, but files are invisible

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by dj.nish, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    That's strange. Do you mean to say that you ended up in re-installing the OS after the malware attack from TFI ? :eek: . Though there was a malware attack from TFI, the effect of attack wasn't that bad which would end you up in re-installing the OS & our wonderful admin countrock has solved it within no time. I am using a free version of Microsoft Antivirus & even it was able to detect the attack & eliminate it.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  2. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Yes, I had to reinstall the OS on laptop. It was a Java type malware which managed to disable McAffee. Further infections followed resulting in disabling of WiFi. Scans using some other utilities revealed some rootkits. Even after their removal things did not work. Anways, format and reinstall helped
  3. bak

bak Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I had also faced the same issue, when i downloaded a file from internet in ubuntu and it shows 0 bytes in windows. Do not mix up files between Ubuntu and Windows.
  4. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    While I'm not promoting piracy, its been completely the opposite for me. Throughout my MBA, I used a laptop full of pirated software - right from OS (Win XP) to MS Office, Photo Editing software, SPSS and what not. No problems ever. This is the first time that I'm using licensed Windows, and that also because it came with my Netbook. And it has been plagued with various issues since Day 1. It has made my computer sluggish and boot times are crazily long. I think Win 7 (despite being Starter Edition) was never designed for netbooks. Ubuntu on the other hand runs like a teenager on steroids.
    I think the issue you might be facing is because of NTFS formatting on the hard disk. Ubuntu cannot handle NTFS well enough, atleast in the native state. You need soft software to make it run smooth. And Windows prefers NTFS only.

The one that I faced was caused by Windows, not Ubuntu. I have been using 4 hard disks to transfer data day in and day out between Win 7 and Ubuntu. But this is the first time I faced anything like this.
  5. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Yes, Windows 7 is not meant for tablets. I have an Intel I5 with 4 GB RAM. The performance is good for this configuration. However with a slower processor things would be different
    I am not sure when you graduated, but during our days the net connectivity was limited. Also, downloads used to be limited. Hence chances of infection were low
  6. coolrider

coolrider Timido

TVM/JORHAT
    Is the problem solved. Happened to my pen drive twice. searched internet for solution.
    1. If folders are not visible-connect hard disk-In folder and search option- click view- un tick hide protected operating system file. Now check for the folders in hard disk-copy the contents and save in new folder- after everything - tick back hide protected operating system file again..
    2. Folder is seen but not able to open it.right click on the folder - check the path- if path is showing as a big line-delete it and write as G/: folder name in path.
    Hope this will solve the problem
  7. i have a diffferent issue!
    i have a 1TB Wsterern Digital HDD!
    my passport series
    it accidentally fell down and now stopped getting recognised!
    any remedy?