1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED !! - Ref: Clutch Kit -

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Saumya, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Saumya

Saumya Amatore

mumbai
    Hi Guys,

I got the suspensions and struts replaces at FIAT under warranty and the Road-bumps are gone, but jerks yet exist.

I am getting my clutch kit replaced under warranty tomorrow as I have been complaining about the JERKs i get in the 1st & 2nd gear (Usually get the jerks when i step on/Release the accelerator/ Clutch).The TASS Service Adviser told me to replace it before 27k KMS else it wont be covered under warranty and i will have to pay for it.

Now I have come across some posts that say that the Jerks are due to the Clutch Slave Cylinder (CSC) & elastic pads and less chances of the entire clutch to be faulty.

What should I do ??

1. Should i replace the clutch kit tommorrow?? or just as him to check the CSC & elastic pads and then if need be ill come in later to change the entire thing ??
    2. Also he suggested to do Brake Disc Skimming.

Please advice....
  2. varun pandit

varun pandit Amatore

dehradun
    dear saumya.same problem persists with my car,from the day i bought it, in 2009.i've told service advisor many times and finally they changed the clutch slave cylinder[retro] under warranty in 2010.the problem was completely gone for some time and clutch felt light but,after 15 days the problem started again and clutch became heavy,it often feels irritating while driving,but the ppl at t.a.s.s say it is due to clutch plate assembly.changing clutch plate assembly is a dicey job[i've done it 2 times in my indica petrol at tass.but,these ppl spoiled my car completely.the smoothness of gear shift was gone completely]so i've decided to stick with the same and wait till sme experienced mechanic assures me about the positive outcome of repair job.t.a.s.s ppl are generally not experienced to tackle these cars.proceed only if they gurantee u about everything.:ugeek:
    1 person likes this.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Saumya,

Can you take a test drive in other FIATs to see whether all of them present this phenomena.

Ask them to check out the clutch switch as well. The only function of the clutch switch is to enable smoother gearshifts.

But i would stress on test driving a few other FIATs as well. Ask the dealer to arrange a test drive of another Punto/Linea.

Cheers.
    2 people like this.
  4. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    @Saumya, Why Brake Disc skimming? Are you facing vibration issues while braking?
  5. What was the Odo Reading when the Suspension and Struts were Replaced ? Curious to know because I have read somewhere Suspension related parts are not replaced under warranty if the odo crosses 35K.
  6. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    Even i m curious to know the same. My Punto has been having a suspension problem from 19k kms now i hve done 30k with the same. Whenever i take them to TASS they say it is all proper and they add some gel to the suspension and give back the car.
  7. ManUTDian

ManUTDian Amatore

New Delhi
    Why? No sense in going for skimming. Usually they suggest this in case of steering vibrations under braking, that too if the surface becomes uneven due to worn out pads.
  8. Saumya

Saumya Amatore

mumbai
    @Saumya, Why Brake Disc skimming? Are you facing vibration issues while braking?
    -- ever since the suspensions have been replaced the vibrations have reduced.. but yet there is a little vibration on the steering & then yet when i break ..at times there is a slight Pull to either side for a brief second..

What was the Odo Reading when the Suspension and Struts were Replaced ? Curious to know because I have read somewhere Suspension related parts are not replaced under warranty if the odo crosses 35K.
    -- 23000kms approx.. they say that after 27500 kms the warranty will lapse and I would have to pay up.

@ girjinder / Varun / Manu - Thanks for advice guys.. point noted... : )

PS - Also yesterday I went on till South Bombay via SealLink and was pushing the car to check ... and I was happy with the result.. the new shock ups have changed the drive and handling totally... and what i noticed was that the Jerk was that of the engine Vibrations I.E. when the power kicks in/ reduces ,the movement of the engine is felt on the body..nothing else.. i'm guessing some tightening jobs on the engine mounts should do the job.. leme see.. Even i don't want to open up my car with a clutch issues cos then there is a danger to loose the Original charm !!
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. varun pandit

varun pandit Amatore

dehradun
    tightening of engine mounts is a good idea.:ugeek:
    1 person likes this.
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Gear jerks are mostly caused by a clutch switch. It is a tiny stuff and pls ask hem to replace that and then look for other faults if it persists. I had a similar issue and it was solved in half an hour. These guys at TASS think beyond most of the time and complicate issues.

Abdul
    1 person likes this.