1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Urban cross 1.4 T Jet(Abarth): Is it suitable for Spiti and Leh-Ladakh ?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Robert, Feb 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert

Robert Timido

Delhi
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hi friends,
    I am a new member and never owned a Fiat but know that Fiat are well built cars. I am here because I want to buy Urban Cross 1.4 T Jet. I love driving to the hills twice or thrice in a year and have driven petrol sedans to the hills including Spiti and Ladakh and found these sedans very pathetic on broken uphill roads where petrol cars struggle to take up the steeps and often get heated. I think it is due to low amount of torque in normal petrol engines.
    My usage will never be more than 10,000 km in a year so I am not interested in diesel. I would like to visit such places again and again.I know Urban Cross is not a hardcore off-roading vehicle but can this Avventura based crossover handle Leh-Ladakh torture ? It becomes tricky when mountain roads are bad so what about the turbolag? Is there any disadvantage of turbo engine in those terrians ? Can UC turbo engine handle those small water streams every here and there ? Are there any modifications possible and advisable to make Urban Cross more capable for those terrians ? Sorry if I am asking too much.
    I am starting this new thread because I have gone through every review that I found. Most of them describing specifications but could not find these answers. Am I expecting too much from a powerful hatchback that may be meant only for urban driving and highway cruising ? I am sure avventura and UC owners have all the answers. Is there any significant difference between Avventura and Urban Cross except rear mounted spare wheel and some cosmetic changes ? I will be greatful for your valuable inputs.

prabhjot and Raaz like this.
  2. limraj

limraj Esperto

Trivandrum / Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    You shouldnt worry taking UC Abarth to Ladakh, for torque.
    It has 209Nm of peak torque. I have seen the lesser torque cars like Grand i10 (114Nm), Alto K10 (90 Nm) doing it. Many Lineas and Puntos with their diesel engine has also done it. Linea MJD's torque is 210Nm and Punto is 197Nm.
    Even Linea with 1.4FIRE engine (Torque of 115 Nm) has done it.

When we went, we rented a Scorpio and XUV from Zoomcar. They could also do it.

prabhjot and Raaz like this.
  3. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    The only thing I have read/heard wrt turbo cars on hills with low oxygen levels is that the turbo takes more time to spool and respond which affects the drive-ability. When you are back on plains the turbo starts working as usual.

4. KPR

KPR Superiore

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    No issues at all. Only problem would be to keep adequate fuel in Cans inside car to fill until one reaches Tandi from Leh. The next pump after Leh when one descends from Leh to Manali would be at Tandi. So keeping cans filled with petrol owing to low mileage of Abarth is a need.

5. Sujit508

Sujit508 Regolare

Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Usually when a turbo is added to a small displacement engine say 1.0 liter or 1.2 they would have significant turbo lag, the T-Jet is 1.4 Liter turbocharged. This should give you more low end(less turbo lag) as it has good displacement, and will give you excellent mid range and top end(due to turbo) . Just google up the 1.4 T-jet application, It has been used in the 500X and the Jeep Renegade. which are easily over 1.5 tons and reviews say that the 1.4 is peppy enough.

The 1.3 MJD itself is rewarding in hills when you hold it in the turbo range. The T-Jet when held in the turbo range can easily pull on hills. T Fiats are always heavy, it is due to rugged suspensions and the chassis is built to take abuse.

6. Sudipto Mukherjee

Sudipto Mukherjee Timido

Hudkeshwar Road,Shri Mahalaxmi Nagar
    Linea T-Jet
    Buddy,

I have taken my tjet(2015) to leh ladhak in june 2016 and completed the circuit without any issues,you can take your vehicle in leh and ladhak,fiat are built strong and can easily handle rough roads.

7. Robert

Robert Timido

Delhi
    Fiat Enthusiast
    @limraj, Thanks for the prompt reply. I know the peak torque of UC Abarth and it's other specifications. I have also seen Maruti 800 ,Alto K10 and even Tata Nano there during my visits. It does not mean that these cars are suitable for those places. Perhaps you miss to see some enthusiasts doing that circuit on bycycles with zero torque, I have seen them. I also have seen many people stuck there in these cars with horrifying stories. I will never ever recommend these cars for those places to anyone especially for Kaza-Batal-Gramphoo-Sarchu-Leh route. All Altos and i10 are there on their own risk. Last time I did this route with Maruti Esteem, very bad experience. other time I did the same route in Tata Sumo , no problem. while returning we gave lift to a couple. There Maruti 800 was damaged beyond repair due to underbody hits. All diesel suv can do that but I am not interested in diesel. Good Torque is an added advantage in hills but is not the only factor otherwise all mercedes and BMW will fly there. These are useless there and everybody know why.

@Turbothinghy
    Thanks. I think normal petrol engine also suffer in low oxygen.

@KPR
    Thanks

@Sujit508
    Sujit Thanks a lot. Actually I am looking for such information to take my final call. In plains almost every petrol car do fine but in those tracks you need power and rugged suspensions with solid built to take abuse. My first concern is that In many forums I have read that UC suspensions are tweaked to obtain comfortable drivability in city and it's suspensions are softer as compaired to Avventura. If this is true than UC suspensions may not be as abuse friendly as Avventura's. Secondly no doubt this 1.4 T-jet engine must be very powerful but since it is turbo charged and in those terrians you have to cross many small water streams due to melting ice. Turbo engines suck water.Do you know what is safe water wading depth of UC t-jet. I have seen Urban Cross. It's ground clearance is better than punto but a little bit more would have been better.

@Sudipto
    That is great. Good to hear. what route you took. I have read some travelogue but thay face some issues with Linea T-jet.

8. Sudipto Mukherjee

Sudipto Mukherjee Timido

Linea T-Jet
    Hi Buddy,

below is route plan which we have taken.

1 Pune-Ratlam-Chittorgarh 4-Jun 1027
    2 Chittorgarh-Jaipur-Karnal 5-Jun 859
    3 Karnal-Jammu 6-Jun 508
    4 Jammu-Srinagar 7-Jun 312
    5 Srinagar-Kargil 8-Jun 215
    6 Kargil-Leh 9-Jun 239
    7 Leh 10-Jun 148
    8 Leh-Khardung la-Nubra Valley 11-Jun 241
    9 Nubra Valley-Wari la-Tangtse 12-Jun 313
    10 Tangtse-Pangong-Leh 13-Jun 194
    11 Leh-Keylong 14-Jun 370
    12 Keylong-Manali-Mandi 15-Jun 238
    13 Mandi-Delhi-Agra 16-Jun 695
    14 Agra-Sagar-Nagpur 17-Jun 819

Regards
    Sudipto Mukherjee

Punto Grande_Ani likes this.
  9. KPR

KPR Superiore

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    That's an information and a daring act indeed with a sedan. Agree it's a fiat but still a dare act! Good to see a sedan doing the Wari La route. You've saved a lot of Time, KMs by not returning back to Khardungla- Leh-Karu Checkpost-Sakti route. How was Linea GC performing especially in this route. Many suggest to do in a SUV. Was it via Shyok village? Can you elaborate more here?

Myself and my cousin did Ladakh circuit in 2015 with a MJD Linea.

10. Sudipto Mukherjee

Sudipto Mukherjee Timido

Linea T-Jet
    Hi KPR,

My linea tjet GC is 185M, and yes sedan is what i like to drive in this terrain,i have taken the shyok village, however the most difficult route for linea was from turtuk to pangong lake which was worse than i thought, kardungla was not an issue.

i will suggest dont take this route if you are in sedan.

Also as per plan the performance of the vehicle was flawless,although we have to keep the rpm above 2000 as its the sweetspot,also i have seen couple of Maruti 800 which were running very good on this terrain

Regards
    Sudipto Mukherjee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.