1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Upsize for Punto Active MJD

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Roadking, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    Guys, I need some help with the Tyre upgrade to be done on my GP Active MJD, I have a couple of questions and looking for some feedback......

My car currently has a stock JK Tornado 165/80/R14 and I am looking to change just the Tyre retaining the Steel rims, following are my questions

1. I am currently looking at an upgrade of 195/70/R14 or 205/65/R14, I have approached a few dealers about the Tyre and I have two options for 195/70 Bridgestone Potenza and Yoko A-drives... No accelere in this size :eek:
    2. For the 205/65 I am only looking at Maxiss MA-Z1

Which size do you guys think would suit the best?

3. Would the 205/65 affect the drive of the car? If so please explain.... would the 205 be a perfect fit for the factory rims?
    4. Is the suspension set up for GP the same across all the three variants?
    5. How much of Ground Clearance would i loose if i go with the 205?
  2. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    GP emotion comes with the 195/65/R15 which i believe has the required road grip compared to the active variant and this is the main reason i am looking at 195 and above
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    On OE steel rim, 14", best fit is, in my view, is 185/70 section tyres.

Take any tyres -
    - Apollo Accelere
    - Yoko A Drive
    - Bridgestone Potenza
    - Michelin XM2
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes 205 will make your steering hard ..I'm running on 205/55/15 Maxxis MA-Z1 and though my stock size was bigger than yours I still felt that the steering was a tad bit hard.

I think for 14" rims 205 sections would be an overkill as you gain very less in terms of functionality (Tyres are going to be very huge)

IMO if you want to stick to stock rims only then the best option would be 185/70/R14. This is neither a compromise not will it affect your existing driving feel by too much...
    If you go in with 205 then your total contact patch would increase by a whopping 160mm and without changing the dia of the rims this would start giving you troubles.

Side note::
    why dont you try 15" wheels?

here are my reasons for this...
    1.) 15" Maxxis costs you roughly 4.5k per tyre (205/55/15) . This is the one i'm having as well and its beautiful with really strong sidewalls.
    2.) You can buy 15" OEM rims from FIAT itself for as less as 850Rs per rim so if you buy it from KAVA it might work out cheaper as well.
    3.) In future if you want to upgrade to alloys then you will only have to spend on alloys rather than both alloys and tyres.. (Which would again work out to be cheaper).
    4.) going in for ultra wide tyres (Like you've chosen) without increasing the dia will only satisfy you aesthetically and functionality wont be much, you might even end up with functionality compromise
  5. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If you want to retain the oe steel rim then 185/70 is the best size, though it will slightly decrease the gc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Roadking,the oe tyre size of the EMOTION variant is 195/60 R15 not 195/65 R15.

THANKS ALL.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    AFAIK , yes
    If my calculations is correct you will gain 1.25mm of GC (Negligible)..
  7. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA

Thanks a ton for this explanation, this sums it up.... Now reason no.3 is tempting me to change the rim size to 15"
    KAVA that you referred to, I am assuming its in Mumbai... Do you know where can i source the 15" rims in Bangalore?

What do you think about the 195/70/R14? where does this stand? I do want a smother drive however with a better performing tyre....

Appreciate your help!!!
  8. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    Guys does anyone know whats the width of the stock rim that come with the GP Active?
    Is its 5.5J or 6J?
  9. Active variant rim width is 5.5J.