1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Upgrade your roof lights to LED

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by azeet_kumar, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Inspired from Viny and others i have decided to do my bit. I have always found punto interior lights very dull. i have tried to spice it up.
    I have used LED 40 mm festoon lights. each has 16 SMD LEDs. using two sets of such does not produce much light. i have used soldered three sets in parallel and made converted it into 48 LED each.
    these 98 LED produces very bright cool white light and that too with only about less than 3 watts consumption.
    onle problem was encountered when after dimming , LED was still lit . problem was because dimmer circuit is designed for low impedance of incandescent bulbs. so voltage does not drop in case of LEDs since impedance is high. 1.5 K load resistor is used to compansate high impedance.
    given configuration is tested and working without any problem for past one month.

SMD festoon.jpg

Festoon modified.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
    2 people like this.
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Azeet nice work. Where did you get those LEDs? How much you paid?

Thank you for sharing step by step pictorial DIY job. :)
  3. I am using two sets of such LED does not produce much light(each has 16 SMD LEDs)from past one month.It works perfect including dimming effect.
    It cost me 400/- for 2 sets in Bangalore
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  4. Dear Sreekanth,
    that's why i have used three sets of 16 LED's . just solder them togather upto your desire. In mine total of 98 LED is giving nice bright light. I am planning to put one for Back seats also.
  5. royj

royj Esperto

That is an interesting piece of work. Thanks for sharing.
  6. Viny

Viny Esperto

Hey Azeet, nice workout there :)
    Keep innovating or in indian terms keep doing jugaads :D
  7. you are most welcome royj
  8. Thanks viny, you are the real inspiration behind this. Lets do some quality jugads in future.
  9. Wow :clap

Is it too bright?