1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Upgrade Punto MJD Emotion to Linea MJD Classic

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by sriramr9, May 14, 2014.

1. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Congrats patel, Hope you are having a blast, Classic+ is at the top of my upgrade list for now. Hope you are enjoying every mile in it

Yes, i suppose Honda was one brand never compromised on safety features even in active like models. Not sure about the pricing differences.

Right, But i gave more priority to the boot, better drive ability of the overall car as such compared to Punto as such, with lesser things prone to failure i felt classic+ is more robust on longer run. Did you test the classic+ in highway pl try once.

The reason why i was attracted was the lesser price i will be paying for a beautiful car plus a proven engine, i was blurred temporarily of the creature comforts and safety features like airbags. Like you rightly said, buy back price is not attractive. I called this an upgrade on the segment alone hatchback to sedan and not for the luxury features. I know ACC, Airbag are far advanced and not present in the Classic+, but classic+ is capable to doing all that Punto can do and comes with a big boot with the most rudimentary things that might last longer & are lesser prone to failures. That way it s surely a parallel upgrade that s my feeling and you drive a punto and a classic+ side by side you will know the difference. Classic+ drives better.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Sorry to disagree with your logic. I can't buy the argument that Linea classic is more robust on longer run. I don't understand this statement of yours. Your current Punto Emotion makes more safer than Linea without ABS/Airbags. Both are equally robust. :)
    2 people like this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Agree with Ramjn, robustness moreover safetywise Punto Emotion variant will be better for sure. Although arguably Linea does offer some added safety with rear crumple zone even in non-ABS and Airbag versions, but it certainly does not make it safer than cars with these features.

Sriramr9, another thing is that as you say Linea Classic+ may be better tuned for daily drives with smaller tires etc., I haven't test driven it, but cruising has never been an issue with Lineas and Puntos. The Lineas have always had some issue even with Turbo Lag inspite of it's VGT versions, which is clearly less pronounced in 2011-2012 Lineas and later. Driving in city can be a bit painful on most Lineas for some who like and expect quick pick-up from cars in general. There has been a general sentiment that either a bigger engine and/or a better gearbox was a necessity for Linea to be clear winner in the race against it's competition from other manufacturers.

Now to your point of upgrade, as suggested earlier, you could look for a used 2011-12 Linea MJD Emotion Pk with certain balance of low odo and low price that can better justify your jump from hatchback to sedan. You will certainly save money and have more car for the money spent. Besides yours does not look like an emergency to upgrade, is it?
  4. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    I have mentioned this earlier and I repeat again. At the end of the day its your car , your choice and your money. We are just giving our suggestions as requested by you.

I would have fully supported you if you would want to upgrade from a Punto Active to Linea Classic+. If it is for budget reasons and you want a Sedan WITH ABS+EBD. Upgrading to a Linea from Punto Emotion isn't a concern too. But to a Linea Classic is what making us all wonder what is the point that we/you are missing here.

I have driven Punto MJD Active for ~45k kms and then a Linea MJD Dynamic (2012) for 8k kms. I haven't even thought of TDing a Linea Classic, but I will in couple of weeks just to try and understand your perspective.

A hatch back (read Punto) is always better in drivability than a Sedan in City traffic. But again, if you pitch Punto 75HP against Punto 90HP. 75HP shines fairly better over 90HP.
    Any 90HP (Linea or Punto) will beat the 75HP (Linea or Punto) on a highway, hands down. Believe me, I have had a great oppurtunity to drive along two Punto 90 HPs from Hyderabad to Ooty. I had a hard time keeping up with them. 75HP does high speeds but with a little bit of struggle, where as the 90HP does it without breaking sweat. I do not think a Linea Classic+ with 75 HP would outdo Punto 75 HP on highway. And definitely not in City.

Now lets forget all the 90HP stuff and compare what you are planning to switch

Punto 75 HP Emotion:
    Pros:
    ABS+EBD
    Air Bags
    ACC (lesser load on the engine = more economical)
    B&M
    Steering Mounted controls
    Better drivability both in City and Highway.

Cons: (Not really though)
    Hatch back
    Lesser boot space

Linea Classic + 75 HP
    Pros:
    ABS+EBD
    Larger Boot space
    Sedan
    ?????

Cons:
    Same 75HP engine
    NO Air Bags
    No ACC
    B&M (Can fit an aftermarket HU with Bluetooth. You can make hands free calls, but cannot give voice commands. Additionally you will also get AUX in, music streaming via Bluetooth. And you lose your warranty)
    Steering mounted controls (Not a big loss IMHO)

God forbid that no one has to ever encounter the use of Air Bags. But when you do, that slightest chance for the smallest amount of time, will make a difference between life and death. This my friend, out weighs any other creature comfort on offer in any car and any model. This is what we are all trying to tell you.
    8 people like this.
  5. bharath

bharath Regolare

Coimbatore
    Simpleson ,This is what I tell my friends & relatives to make them realize what is happening in the auto business :p.In reality,I see most people shell out hell lot of money for smartphones,cosmetics,marriages,treats and various show offs but casually let these kind of mandatory stuffs just go OFF.Budget constraint is the only thing which goes against AIRBAGS or anything else there ?Stretching budget from 50k to 80k is mostly possible for someone who can able to buy a car for 7L car in my opinion and can be paid considering the longer time frame one has to pay the loan.

There is no canvassing for an Emotion variant since I have one.I am not able to convince anybody who go for MS or Hyundai or Honda to pick up a FIAT but all I ask them is to go for an ABS and Airbags variant and not look further.One of my friends who very well know Fiat and keen on Punto finally bought Swift base variant owing to the pressure from his family and wife considering the resale value :uh! We both are equally disappointed and I am much more that it doesn't even have ABS :(.As said ,this safety thing is really Premium in India and nothing to ignore about it and at the same time ,a one Lakh rupee is not worth considering the life of an individual or family.Even we can't be sure that Airbags will open and safe our life at the time of accident and its all about increasing the chances to make sure maximum safety.Safety is one of the reasons why we choose a FIAT right :).

By the way ,I welcome the move of keeping ABS & Airbags in all variants of POlO by VW. I hope everybody follows one by one in the future.
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    3 people like this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Exactly what I am saying is in reality people do not stretch budgets (which is wrong I agree). Right or wrong, some times it is far too much for an already loan paying customer. If VW can give no frills quality car like Polo with ABS and Airbags as standard, what keeps other manufacturers from adapting this. The manufacturers (as VW has done) can act responsibly making it a policy decision, but they wouldn't since business is affected at the cost of risk to customers. See there, now a darker picture emerges. What's with the responsibility of these manufacturers to provide these features as mandatory. One aspect to this is the lack of public awareness.

If government wants, such move can make all the difference. I mean we have Bharat Stage norms updating time to time as per US and Euro norms. Why not then safety norms in a step by step manner. When manufacturers find that there is no getting around safety norms they will come with cheaper yet effective ways to manufacture and incorporate necessary features.
    1 person likes this.
  7. markrting_rohitm

markrting_rohitm Amatore

PHAGWARA
    Bhai this is not at all an upgrade

Sent from my A12+ using Tapatalk
    2 people like this.
  8. bharath

bharath Regolare

Coimbatore
    Short & straight to the point !
  9. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

Pune
    I agree completly .

I always talk about Airbags and ABS and typically response i get is - did you ever use it ? / is it required in india? / i have been driving for so many years , abhi tak kuch hua nahi ab kya?"

- Point is simple , it's like insurance , you may never use it But whenever it will get used , you will know how precious it is.
    - As far as india and road goes , safety features are more important
    One example here on ABS , few years ago I was travelling on one highway ( pune -kop ) , there was Oil split on road by one of the tanker ( no stop sign nothing - welcome to highway :D) , when vehicle at my right tried to stop , it went staright to railing . I was middle lane and my car stooped very smoothly !!!!

10. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai

Agree to all other points very much and am aware also. Crumple Zone was one attraction along with boot plus i did not feel any turbo lag with 3 on board with A/c, suspension was superb compared to punto . 90HP is a overkill to me as i drive mostly in city and occasional outside tourer for which 75hp is more than enough. Also some where i have a tiny concern for the 60k timing chain replacement issue for linea mjd's.

Updated the pros and cons as per my expectations mate, i ain't want to outrun a 90HP Punto or a Linea MJD or Polo 1.2 TDi. I have no confidence beyond 120kph and but am sure i can keep up with a Linea MJD in the highway atleast. As you said, Airbags are vital. i have nothing to say there, i wish the classic+ had them. I felt overall it will be a fuss free package.

Agreed, i am not exchanging it right away. since i am not sure how much i will be able to sell this current car which is highly necessary to carry out this transition. Apart from space/boot/sedan/suspension/gearbox there is practically no other reasons why i should sell. Again i fell in love with only the linea right _