1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Up close with nature and wildlife: Parambikulam

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by ramjn, Feb 25, 2014.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Visiting Parambikulam in Kerala has always been in my list and finally did the trip last weekend. Didn't do much of planning and decided on this trip only a day before the trip. :)

Sharing few teaser pics before I start sharing my experiences.

02-DSC_0283.JPG

18-DSC_0344.JPG

32-DSC_0479.JPG

56-DSC_0478.JPG
    19 people like this.
  2. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    A great start Ramesh. Looking forward to the detailed log.

Keep em coming.
    1 person likes this.
  3. aruncep

aruncep Amatore

Chennai
    A very good place. Its a place in Kerala, Palakkad dist. But the entry is only from Pollachi, Tamilnadu. For that reason have to cross two checkposts before we reach the resort. Finally liquor is a big NO NO. Waiting for your writeup. :)

If you want to stay more closer to nature and animals you should visit Gavi also, in Pathanamtitta dist in Kerala. We need to do advance booking. For more details:- Welcome to Gavi - Wilderness beacons - Activities | Kerala Forest Developement Corporation LTD Offical Website
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    3 people like this.
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Ramesh,

Glued to this thread. Nice opening and when the teaser pics are so good, I can only expect even better pics in the coming days. While you guys are getting an opportunity to visit the actual jungles, we creatures of the concrete jungle can only sigh in despair.
    1 person likes this.
  5. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I called the Kerala Forest Dept at Parambikulam to book for the Accommodation. They told everything is full except for a tree top house at Parambikulam. I blocked the same which costs Rs. 3000 with lunch, Dinner, breakfast and guided activities like Bamboo rafting and trekking.

It was just a two day trip and I decided to leave early on Friday and reach Salem by 10 pm and stay there. Did the same and we started from Salem at 4.30 am in the morning and took the route, Salem-Perundurai-Kangayam-Dharapuram-Udumalai-Anaimalai-Topslip-Parambikulam. The initial part of the stretch between Udumalai and Anaimalai is average and the ghat section of the road was very rough between Anaimalai and Topslip. We had our breakfast at Udumalai and by the time we reached Topslip, it was 9.30 AM. There was nothing much to do at Topslip except for a mini museum and an elephant safari.

Just before sunrise between Dharapuram and Udumalaipettai
    01-DSC_0279.JPG

My Daughter during a break
    03-DSC_0297.JPG

The stretch just after Anaimalai
    04-DSC_0298.JPG

A milk supplier
    05-DSC_0301.JPG

Checkpost entry to Anaimalai Tiger Reserve. This is the only entrance to Parambikulam as well.
    06-DSC_0304.JPG

Ghat section to Topslip
    07-DSC_0305.JPG

My drive on the ghats
    08-DSC_0306.JPG

The reception/information center at Topslip
    12-DSC_0314.JPG

A cute little girl
    09-DSC_0309.JPG

Eco shop and the cafeteria at Topslip
    10-DSC_0312.JPG

The parking lot at Topslip
    11-DSC_0313.JPG

Welcome to Kerala :)
    13-DSC_0316.JPG

To be continued...
    5 people like this.
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Every time I see a nice, long shot of a Linea, I wonder why FIAT wants to refresh or redesign it!
    4 people like this.
  7. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    The roads became much much better once we entered Kerala. After the Kerala side check post, the Reception of KFDC invited us and I was asked to pay for the room rent here. We were also assigned a guide who will accompany us for the assistance. It is almost 20kms. from this point to our stay at Parambikulam. Our guide Mr. Veeran Kutty helped us to spot few birds and wild elephants on our way to Parambikulam. We reach our stay at around 12.30pm and we quickly refreshed and got ready for the lunch buffet served at the KFDC facility. The food was really good to my surprise. I have never seen a department from a Government is so organized, dedicated and efficient. After lunch we went back to our hut and took some rest till Mr. Veeran Kutty came back to wake us up. :)

Kerala side of the road
    14-DSC_0320.JPG

Our guide
    17-DSC_0343.JPG

Spotted these birds on way
    15-DSC_0332.JPG

16-DSC_0336.JPG

A tribal fisherman at the bank of Thunakadavu dam
    20-DSC_0347.JPG

A wild elephant
    19-DSC_0345.JPG

Some folks on the boat at Thunakadavu
    21-DSC_0349.JPG

Another bird
    22-DSC_0353.JPG

Another wild elephant
    23-DSC_0360.JPG

And spotted deer
    24-DSC_0367.JPG

To be continued...
    9 people like this.
  8. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Our guide took us to the lake for the Bamboo rafting. It lasted for close to 30 mins and it was absolutely stunning experience. When I enquired about the presence of Crocodiles, they said there are lot but not harmful. After the rafting, we just drove around parambikulam area and also the dam. They arranged a tribal dance program in the evening for those who stay. After experiencing the same, we came back to our hut and later they served dinner at 08.30. Again, it was another nice dinner from them. We went to bed earlier as we planned for a morning trekking.

Bamboo rafting
    28-DSC_0380.JPG

31-DSC_0418.JPG

27-DSC_0396.JPG

Linea at Parambikulam dam
    33-DSC_0426.JPG

A notice board
    36-DSC_0428.JPG

The dam
    38-DSC_0431.JPG

A wild Boar
    39-DSC_0468.JPG

Another spotted deer
    34-DSC_0467.JPG

Sunset time
    40-DSC_0473.JPG

Back to the hut
    35-DSC_0474.JPG

To be continued...
    8 people like this.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Excellent travelouge Ramesh and nice pictures too.
    Bamboo rafting looks so inviting.
    This is great to read, full time guide ::T.
    1 person likes this.
  10. bharath

bharath Regolare

Coimbatore
    Again a teasing,tempting travelogue from you ! I am sure people on seeing this would either plan for a travel or a DSLR purchase or both ;).
    1 person likes this.