1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Unidentified object under the air filter

Discussion in 'Technical' started by puchoo, Oct 6, 2013.

1. puchoo

puchoo Regolare

Delhi / Shimla
    Decided i wanted to clean my air filter out today or maybe even replace it if it was too dirty. Taking it out and cleaning it was pretty easy and took all of 5 minutes but what i was shocked by was what i found underneath the air filter.

Its a small yellow plasticy cover and was lying right underneath - pictures tell the whole story. Now i dont know if this is supposed to be there or not , but i have cleaned enough air filters in my life to probably take a good guess that its not.

Now i am not a mechanic but i can assume , safely i am sure , that given its location it was probably stopping some amount of air flow , as such no indications are present in the car while driving , either in the form of low mileage or loss of power / acceleration.

Any clues anyone?

2. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

From what I know, that piece of plastic? has no business there.

This is shocking. Rajan can confirm as he is familiar with the T Jet's air filter.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Nothing to worry. It is on the fresh air inlet side of the filter. It must have got sucked in to there. But still what defies logic to me is this - the inlet tube ends just beneath the right side headlamp and there is no way this plastic bag could have been drawn into the engine bay. The only thing I can think of is this was used to cover the inlet pipe from rats when the car was in the dealer's yard, but some one started the car forgetting to remove it first. Far fetched, yes, but cannot think of any other logical way.

No damage done. Just remove it, replace the filter and enjoy your car :D

1 person likes this.
  4. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    And you can keep that cover as a gift from Fiat/dealer! :D
    2 people like this.
  5. puchoo

puchoo Regolare

Delhi / Shimla
    Thanks guys!!

But would it be safe to assume that this might have been causing some obstruction in the air flow level and thus subsequently maybe a little hit on performance?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    puchoo, just don't think about it anymore. Have a drive in your car and check whether you feel better performance now? ;) I am sure it would be more or less the same.

Enjoy the ride of the JET.
  7. puchoo

puchoo Regolare

Delhi / Shimla
    Yep , looking forward to the drive tomorrow to work for a change and hoping maybe there is even more pep in the car than before!! :)

8. How was your drive to office today?
  9. puchoo

puchoo Regolare

Delhi / Shimla
    So i am not sure :confused:

I had a feeling that the engine was feeling a bit smoother but not sure if this factual or psychological!!

i was keeping a look out for the following

Over the last 2 weeks or so , when accelerating , especially between the 1000-2000 RPM range , the car moves forward with very light jerks - i had attributed this to it requiring a servicing but today i did not feel that

But even if its factual i will , i guess , never be able to narrow it down to the removal of the cloth or the fact that i cleaned the filter !

I have a long drive coming up next week and i have a theory which i will test out and see what happens with that. A comparison to when i drove to the hills last time. Maybe that would tell us something.

10. varin11

varin11 Superiore

May be the service guy forgot his Lunch wrapper....