1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty: Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: 100,000 km up!

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by arun_josie, Jun 17, 2014.

1. arun_josie

arun_josie Amatore

Bangalore
    And now into the 90s.

90K-Optimized.jpg

Here is a pic after a quick water less wash and wax, I was able to wash with little less than 750ml of water.

T2-Optimized.jpg

T4.jpg

Other Updates:

• Last servicing was done around 85K Kms, So will plan for the next one at 95K.
    • Tyres are still holding good at 55K Kms.
    • Wheel Alignment/Wheel Balancing/Tyre Rotation needs to be done.
    • I will have to check for the brake pad/brake disc condition as well. No issues with the braking though.
  2. arun_josie

arun_josie Amatore

Bangalore
    My experience with the KL roads:

Due to the current Cauvery issue and the unpredictable situation at the KA-TN border we decided to take the KL route. Also, being with family,
    I was very hesitant to take the TN roads. The route we took was, Bangalore - Mysore(Stay at Mysore) - Kalpetta - Cochin - Trivandrun - Nagercoil.

Snap2.gif

From Mysore we started at 5:15 AM and we reached Nagercoil exactly at 11:55 PM. So total duration from Mysore was 18H:40M (From Bangalore, it
    adds up to 21H:10M)

Some comparison:

Bangalore - Nagercoil (Via KL):
    Total Kms: 836 Kms
    Duration: 21H:10M
    Avg Speed: 40Kmph(approx)
    Avg Speed between Kalpetta - Trivandrum(450 Kms) was 32Kmph only.

Nagercoil - Bangalore(Via TN):
    This is what it took during the return through the standard route(Madurai-Salem)

Total Kms : 658Kms
    Duration: 8H:30M
    Avg Speed: 79Kmph(approx)
    Now that is a whopping difference, isn't it?! And it says a lot about KL roads/traffic and TN roads.

Route experience:
    • Initially after Kalpetta, we loved the ghats which was scenic, loads of turns, harpin bends etc.
    • Overtaking was always a challenge as its 2L roads all through with high traffic flow(Except a stretch of around 40Kms near Cochin which is 4L)
    • Its all about traffic traffic traffic!
    • At one point(before Guruvayur), we were able to cover only 110Kms in 4 hours.
    • I was mostly on 2nd and 3rd gear so much that I forgot about the 5th gear at some point.
    • Good thing was the roads were good without any big potholes and speed breakers.
    • Cochin - Trivandrum(200 Kms) took 6 hours(Few months back, we took this route early morning and covered it in 3H 40M).
    • Last one hour before Trivandrum was quick.
    • Many hotels on the way but most of them were empty, so we were little confused on where to stop. We then decided to stop inside towns only.
    • Private buses were very rash and they even didn't bother to overtake on the harpin-bends.
    • At signals, people were keeping left lane open for "free left" unlike bangalore where it is blocked by the traffic most of the times.
    • You have to pass through almost all towns and cities.
    • Estimated time by google maps was accurate almost every time.
    • GPS was guiding us off the NH66 which we started ignoring because it took us through some very narrow lanes once.
    What it requires to drive on these roads:
    • Loads of patience an concentration to handle the traffic.
    • Overtaking skill to make sure that you are moving ahead.
    • Being on the right gear always helps to overtake when you get a chance.
    • Be informed and keep yourself updated about these roads before the trip so that you are not in for a shock.
    • Keep the passengers informed about the nature of these roads as well and what to expect. Especially if it is going to be a long stretch.
    • Many a times the 2W in front of you will just stop in middle of the road to take a right turn. So, we will have to be alert.
    • There were many intersection which joins at an angle towards you which confused me at times.
    Overall, it was an Experience to drive on these routes during daytime and I have no regrets taking this route as we were always bored to take the standard 4L route. Now, will I take this route again?!, Sure but with more planning so that I can reduce the time on road.

And, hats off to the people who take these routes frequently.

Overall trip route map

Snap1.gif
    Fuel Efficiency:

Surprisingly it was at 19.6 after the Onward journey.

8-Optimized.jpg

And came down to 19.3 after the return journey,

9-Optimized.jpg

Total Kms,

10-Optimized.jpg
    On the way to Kalpetta,

3-Optimized.jpg

4-Optimized.jpg
    Traffic at KA-KL border,

7-Optimized.jpg

Some view point after Kalpetta,

1-Optimized.jpg
    1A-Optimized.jpg
    2-Optimized.jpg

Dual tone Fiat biggrin.gif This guy was doing good speeds in those KL roads,

6-Optimized.jpg

@ Dinner stop,

5-Optimized.jpg
    Currently the ODO has crossed 93000 Kms.

Tornado, nkrishnap, PradeepM and 6 others like this.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Brilliant and very detailed report. Thanks for sharing.

What was your route from Mysore to Kalpetta? Through Gundlupet and Sulthan Bathery?

And how was the road condition between Guruvayur and Kalpetta?
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    arun_josie likes this.
  4. arun_josie

arun_josie Amatore

Bangalore
    Yes, it was through Gundlupet - Sulthan Bathery.

The road condition was good throughout Kerala. Just some occasional minor pot-holes.
    Murphy_Fiat and ramjn like this.
  5. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    in Kerala Getting Land for Road Development is the Big Issue. Otherwise Roads are good Especially in High range Areas
    arun_josie likes this.
  6. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    The speed at which you have munched miles is just unimaginable @arun_josie :)
    Lniea is still looking fresh!
    And beautiful pics of Kerala's roads!
    arun_josie and PradeepM like this.
  7. arun_josie

arun_josie Amatore

Bangalore
    Thanks for your kind words, pabhishek!
    pabhishek likes this.
  8. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Arun,

Took the liberty to update the thread title with the Odo reading. Hope this motivates you further to hit the 1 Lakh mark a bit faster :)
    arun_josie, pabhishek and Tornado like this.
  9. arun_josie

arun_josie Amatore

Bangalore
    Thanks Krishna! :).
  10. Giridhar

Giridhar Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    The beauty in the scenic view. Thanks @arun_josie for sharing. Will be helpful in my future expedition.
    arun_josie likes this.