1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty: Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: 100,000 km up!

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by arun_josie, Jun 17, 2014.

1. arun_josie

arun_josie Amatore

Bangalore
    Yes, its a regular affair. This time i gave in since I was getting some sound. Looks fine after cleaning.

Thanks Ravi for pointing this thread. I will go through it.
  2. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    The problem is the when the pads are replaced, the pins needs to greased which is not done as a practice. Once the sound appears or during service they insist to have this done to bill the labor. Ridiculous if you ask me. What on earth is regular servicing? Should it not include the brakes clean up and greasing. I don't buy this idea of having each of these done separately and charge for it.
    arun_josie likes this.
  3. arun_josie

arun_josie Amatore

Bangalore
    I agree. When we are paying around 2K as servicing charge, these minor things should be taken care.
  4. arun_josie

arun_josie Amatore

Bangalore
    Yesterday, for few minutes(and 15 Kms), the ODO was blinking, CD was not getting detected, iPod was not getting detected but FM was working. Everything started working as normal after I stopped the car and restarted. What could be the reason for this?
  5. arun_josie

arun_josie Amatore

Bangalore
    Update on the Tyres, Michelin 3ST :

This is the second set of tyres and has done 26198 Kms so far. Did the WA/WB(Road force), tyre rotation at Madhus and they said this set can go for another 25K Kms at least.

What I liked about this tyre is, this has handled some real bad roads well. And they are silent and comfy too than the previous Good Year set which I used for 35K Kms.

Here are some pics.

20151013_122550-Optimized.jpg
    20151013_122624-Optimized.jpg

20151013_122633-Optimized.jpg
    20151013_122930-Optimized.jpg

20151013_124044-Optimized.jpg
    Ravi likes this.
  6. arun_josie

arun_josie Amatore

Bangalore
    A morning drive to Shettihali(Rosary Church) with a plot twist in the end:

This trip was in “To Do” list for a long time and finally got a chance on a Saturday to drive to this place with family.

Plan was to start early so that we can return to Bangalore by lunch.
    • As planned, we started by 5:00 AM.
    • Took the NICE road, Tumkur road and then the exit towards Mangalore.
    • For around 5-10Kms it was very misty and couldn’t go more than 40Kmph.
    • Once the road was clear, it was a spirited drive as the traffic was almost Nil.
    • Reached A2B by 7:05 AM. This branch has started very recently. (Thanks to parag for suggesting this place).
    • It was a long break for an hour.

Misty roads

1.jpg

2.jpg

Now ,the drive towards Shettihali. Another 30Km on the highways and then we had to take left. This left is on the second intersection on the Hassan highway.

Snap1.jpg

• From the highway, it’s around 22Kms to this church
    • Roads were not bad, we could maintain 40-50Kmph.
    • It took around 25 minutes for us to reach the spot.
    Some pics on the way from the highway towards the Shettihali church.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

6A.jpg
    Ravi likes this.
  7. arun_josie

arun_josie Amatore

Bangalore
    Shettihali(Rosary Church):

To go near the church ruins, it’s kind of off-roading on the river bed as there is no proper road. We just followed tyre marks.

We entered a mud road towards the church,

9.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

• This is not a proper tourist place.
    • There are no shops or any kind of civilization very close by.
    • Initially we were alone and this place was deserted.
    • Little dirty around with broken bottles.
    • Kids had some fun throwing stones on the water.

Here are the some pics,

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg
    Ravi likes this.
  8. arun_josie

arun_josie Amatore

Bangalore
    27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

tbhp-Optimized.jpg

Twist in the plot:

After spending around 45mins, we decided to return to Bangalore. It was 10:00 AM then. My 8yr old was disappointed that the outing was coming to an end so soon and was not interested in returning to Bangalore. He wanted to drive to some other place before going back to Bangalore. My wife was also ok with the idea.

Mangalore was there in my mind for some time, so I suggested Mangalore and they were excited. We checked the google maps for the distance and it showed 183 Kms and another 4 hours of drive approximately. We started from this church with the destination still in discussion on where to go and in another 25mins we reached the highway with the decision yet to be taken.

Also, the plan was to return back by evening from wherever we go.

I was bit hesitant for Mangalore because,
    • Never been on this stretch or to Mangalore.
    • I have never followed on the road conditions on this stretch. All I know was, there was one Ghat section which was closed for some time for repair work.

So, I gave a call to team bhpian speedsatya and he said, it will take around 3-4 hours from Hassan based on the traffic. Finally, we decided to drive to Mangalore for lunch and get back to Bangalore by EOD. This is the craziest thing me and my wife ever did as a family, much thanks to my 8yr old son. The 3yr old never had any complaints about being on the road.

Drive to Managalore:
    • Started exactly at 10:30 AM from Hassan.
    • Lot of traffic almost throughout especially the tankers.
    • The ghat section was a challenge because of the train of vehicles going in
      front with a tanker or truck leading the pack most of the time. Hence, overtaking was difficult.
    • The ghat roads were very wide at turns and curves.
    • At times, it looked like F1 track with everyone behind you trying to overtake at the turn without bothering about the oncoming traffic.
    • The government buses were driving like the Bangalore auto-walas
    • Overall, it was a very nice experience driving on this stretch. Obviously with some interesting overtakes biggrin.gif

Lunch and Icecream @ Mangalore:
    • speedsatya and family took time out of their day to welcome us as they were waiting for us at the entry.
    • Then, he took us for lunch at “Village” restaurant.
    • They served us with some very delicious Non- Veg food, Mangalore-style.
    • Then, we went to Pabba’s for some delicious ice cream. Crazy place. There was a mile-long queue at this place. We had to wait for around 45 mins before we saw the icecream and it was well worth the wait.

20151024_155755-Optimized.jpg

Return Journey to Bangalore:
    • Started at 5:30 PM.
    • Filled the fuel at a BP COCO, it was around 30Kms from Mangalore.
    • Again some traffic throughout till Sakleshpur
    • It was really challenging after dark with no proper marking/sign boards at turns.
    • At some places, only at the last moment you will know whether the road is turning left or right.
    • After the ghat section, we stopped for 5 mins for some cool drinks.
    • With the kind of lunch and dinner we had, everyone wanted to skip the dinner.
    • So, it was a non-stop drive after that and reached home exactly at 12:00.

Some Numbers:

Total Kms: 789.4
    FE(MID): 18.1
    Avg Speed: 52Kmph
    Duration: 14H:56M

Overall, it was a glorious day that took its own course. We decided to go with the flow and see where it takes us. Much thanks to speedsatya and his family for taking the time out and spending the afternoon with us. The drive was a joyful one with all kinds of road sampled..4L, 2L, off-roading and ghats. Kept me and my Linea on the toes. The kids had fun all along and my wife was a happy camper. A perfect day out with my family.

View attachment Clapping.gif
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2015
    Rama and Masum Reza like this.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Lovely pictures @arun_josie.
    Seems this Church must have been massive in its time.
    By looking the condition, I guess it will easily go more than 10K more.
  10. arun_josie

arun_josie Amatore

Bangalore
    Thanks Ravi!
    Yes, it must have looked regal.

Regarding tyres, yes I am targeting at least 40K which is another 15K Kms.