1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Uneven wear in back right tyre. back wheels' toe out of limits??

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by limraj, Dec 22, 2013.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @gurjinder,

Is the camber issue only more visible on one side, one tyre? Contrary to what many people suggest, I would suggest newer tyres at rear, setting the toe alignment and placing the 30-35% tyres in front. How is the stepney, might wanna interchange with tyre worn-out on side due to camber issue. Camber issue must be fixed soon although, what do you think?
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Yes the camber issue has been resolved now. But I could not get it rectified soon enough and it ended up chewing the tyre.

The spare tyre is fine but I don't want to use a 4 year old tyre except for emergency use.

Cheers
  3. selwyn.a

selwyn.a Amatore

KA51
    GA01
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @asimpleson Just out of curiousity - wanted to know the reason for having the newer tyres at the rear.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Front tyres technically will need better tread, but also do wear out quicker. The already worn out tyres will need replacements sooner, so as well use them till they are complete bald . The newer tyres at rear could be then shifted to front and newest tyres kept at rear which could then be interchanged depending on varying levels of wear. No hard and fast rule here. Just getting optimal usage out of ever wearing tyres.
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Actually, the reasoning is that even if the vehicle is a front wheel drive one, the better tires are needed at the rear to enable complete control of the vehicle in adverse conditions. The front control can be corrected by steering but it the rears lose control due to worn out tires , then that is nearly impossible to control. Atleast by an average driver like myself.

Cheers
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    To add further and again purely from the technical aspect, then all 4 tyres need to be great for excellent braking. I agree to the point that better contact surface (grip) makes a great lot of difference in braking or emergency braking. So yes, better rear tyres could have specific advantages too.
  7. selwyn.a

selwyn.a Amatore

KA51
    GA01
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I guess this would apply to a situation where periodic rotation of all 4 tyres is not followed/possible.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 30, 2014 ---
    Looks like we're onto something here :bookworm:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/6-common-tire-myths-debunked-10031440
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52

So overall, it comes down to stability (preventing oversteer) vs economics (stretching tyre life to maximum).
  8. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I observed the same for my right reat tyres yesterday. Recently about 2-3 weeks back the alignment, balancing and rotation was done post the replacement of the front 2 struds. The left pulling got resolved and i was happy with this. It was by chance that I thought of checking on the tyre presure and threads that i observed the issue. Went to FASS today and the reading confirmed that the toe was out. Now, they did all checks and couldnt deduce anything wrong. So last resort they took pics of the reading and tyre to be sent to some expert. Per the GM the challenge is I am runnig on Yokohama S-Drive, however I reasoned that its still compy spec tyres 195/60 R15. Lastly for testing have replaced the rear right tyre with the spare tyre which are company provided and will check the effect on their shoulder wear. I did mention to them about shimming, however the alignment guy said it is not required as the outer shoulder is getting effected.
  9. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Shimming is done to correct the alignment issues on rear wheels. Outer side or other side of the tyre does not matter.
    kunwar.g likes this.
  10. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The stock 14" tyre have started showing sign of shoulder wear and hence took it to DRS Gurgaon today. Due to an improtant meeting had to leave the car with them as they wanted some time. Went back after about 3 hrs and they say that need more time. The shimming option has not been tried yet and why not beat me.

Spoke to the GM who was at the airport. Said that FIAT is saying that the Active variant is not supposed to have the 15" rims as that is only for Dynamic and Emotioin variant and thats why the issue. I didnt agree and said in that case why dont you guys have different alignment parameters on the aligment machine for Active vs Dynamic and Emotion. Also Dynamic also comes with 14". I highly doubt that he has even spoken to FIAT about it. There were too many cars today also and probably they dont want to invest time in doing the shimming job. Not really sure how much time it take, doubt anything more than 1 hr. When asked the guy who works on wheel alignment he said that he knows that the shimming step will not help in my case .

My tyres were upgraded to 15" at 10K km. Since then have done 5K + km and not issues. These issues have started coming up after the front shockers change that happened in mid August. Could that be the reason ? Cause that lead to left pulling and the correction to left pulling lead to this issue.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated as now I am getting frustrated with their approach