1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Understanding the MJD engine

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by anindyodutta, Nov 16, 2011.

1. All,

This is my first post after buying a Punto emotion diesel.
    I want to know if anyone has any document or any reading material that I can use to understand the MJD engine.
    If you can help me out with anything you have please send it to anindyodutta@yahoo.co.in.

Any material will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Anindyo Dutta
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Just read up about how a turbo charged common rail diesel works and you'll know how the Multijet works.

Multijet is basically just a turbo charged common rail diesel engine with a fancy name. :)

That said, have a read of my posts and others in this thread. Some good practices which we should follow in the better interests of our engines.

Cheers.
  3. oh ok, I thought multijet had to do with the fuel injection.
    I will read what I can from the internet about CRDI.

I am still curious about what turbo charger we're using, I also have come to know that the 90 HP variant is different from the regular MJD because it has an additional VGT fan (don't know if I said this right).

Thanks for the link to your post, I believe I have read through it once before.

Appreciate your response!

Regards,
    Anindyo
  4. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    MultiJet Diesel Engine

We’ve spent decades developing our diesel technology and the result is MultiJet - our next-generation diesel engine. With more control over the combustion process the result is a smoother, quieter drive with surprisingly low emissions and high fuel economy. The advanced turbochargers provide most of the torque at low engine speeds, making our diesels a pleasure to drive.

The original common-rail diesel technology, developed first by Fiat and known as UniJet, used two injections of fuel into the cylinder. This radically improved the noise and vibration created by the traditional diesel engine, but we still weren’t happy - we wanted to improve things even further. The next development that came created more control over the injectors, both by the computer and the physical behaviour of the injectors themselves. Named for its ability to have up to seven injections into the cylinder each time, the MultiJet was born.

It enables the engine management computer to optimise the combustion for every combination of driver demand (the accelerator pedal) and engine speed, and create the best possible injection sequence. It means a quieter, more comfortable drive for both the driver and passengers, with lower vibration levels, better fuel consumption and improved responsiveness. All Fiat diesel engines use our MultiJet technology.

Source : Multijet Diesel Engine. The next-generation diesel engine from Fiat | Fiat.co.uk

Also refer : JTD engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  5. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Just to add to Kiran's post. The multijet gives a host of improvements in various areas. However, this comes at a price. This engine is very susceptible to adulterated diesel. Bad diesel can really mess up the engine and ruin your day. The earlier 'normal' diesel engines were relatively much less affected by adulterated diesel.

Regards
    Johnny