1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Underbody Noise:- Lower arm ball joint ,suspension.

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by Ganges, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    the underbody noise was tolerable in my recent trip to Hyd.it was like as though if something(suspension,shock-abs,may tire will come out of its assembly) is going to break now.
    somehow managed to reach Hyd and been there to Tejaswi Motors the service guy informed that the Lower arm ball joint have got damaged and also there is some problem with the shock-abs.Whats the life of lower arm ball joint ? how much it costs ? will it be covered under warranty ?
  2. Mr.Boss

Mr.Boss Amatore

Never noticed what type of Ball joint does Fiat have.
    If it is press fitted or riveted, A.S.S will not take the effort of fitting a new one and they will insist to change the complete lower arm.
    If it is bolted type, it may cost around 1k.
    Even the riveted one can be removed (by grinding the rivets) and fitting the non-OE ball joint with studs (I have done this on my friend's Fiesta)
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Mr.Boss thanks for the info.
    The TASS guy told it will be near about 2K to 3K cost for the lower arm.this week will be visiting TASS once again for the total estimation.
    i read from the reviews that the ball joint should go some Lakh of kilometers ?
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    It is indeed the riveted type and there is no separate part listed for ball joint.

Ask any good mechanic and get the ball joint replaced after cutting the rivets off. The Palio had the same riveted design and i had the rivets cut off when installing new ball joints in old arm.

If it can be done in warranty, then nothing like it. But i'm really not sure.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Here we go replaced RH lower swing arm also with strut pads.

- - - Merged Post - - -

the SA from TASS told that there is a bend in the ball joint hence need to replace the whole arm and only ball joint cant be repaired or it comes as spare part.is it repairable ? if so i will get it done and will store it.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Here is a video to know where exactly the Arm fits on our car

IMG_20130309_080208.jpg

IMG_20130309_080242.jpg

IMG_20130309_080308.jpg
  6. Mr.Boss

Mr.Boss Amatore

^^^
    How much does it costs? (lower arm and strut pads)
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Yes store it. FIAT does not supply the ball joint as a spare part, but aftermarket spare parts retailers should supply them soon - if not already. Then it will simply be a matter of cutting the old rivets off and fixing the new ball joint with nuts+bolts.

It was the same thing with the Palio as well.

No issues on the strength of nut+bolt compared to the rivets.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    lower arm RH :- 2187Rs + vat 273 Rs
    Strut pads:- 2531Rs
  9. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

Yesterday i noticed a taptap noise from the lower right suspension.. hear the noise every time i go over a hump or gutter..the sound is like a metal piece hitting the underbody.
    Is the the lower ball joint,suspension the culprit???
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    thomman,
    The symptons are :-
    On the cornering, the tires shudders asthough will come out of its position you can easily feel it.
    The sound comes continously whenever you go on the speed breakers or slight undulated roads.
    Last but least on traffic signals... :D you can read from the faces about our car sound.

One way of diagnosis of lower arm joint is to raise the front on jack, and move/press the tire inwards and outwards and check whether if there is any movement.

it is very dangerous,to run the car with the bad ball joint,one may loose the steering control.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013