1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyres for Linea TJet Plus

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by iamalpine, Dec 24, 2012.

1. iamalpine

iamalpine Timido

Mumbai
    Hi,

I am in the process of changing the stock goodyear to another brand. Wanted to seek help from all of you to find out which brand/make should I go in for
    1] The same i.e. Goodyear
    2] Bridgestone
    3] Michelin
    4] Yokohama
    Also since i am doing it for the first time I also wanted to find out what are the things that i should be looking for in the new set of wheels.
    I use Nitrogen currently and want to look at the following things in the new set i.e. Comfort, Stability and longevity for India roads specially Mumbai, Navi Mumbai and Thane roads.
    Which brand would suit me for these purposes. Also is it possible to upscale these stock tyres. I went to dealer who told me that if I upscale then i would not need to go in for the ground clearance upgrade kit. Is that true.
    Also I found that online deals give better discounts as compared to normal dealer deals. Are they worth it, since they provide shop details where these tyres can be fitted.
    I also found that there is no value for the tyres once they come off. Will it be worth while to get them redone or something like that. I know in the past truck tyres etc could be redone. does that same concept exist for tubeless tyres.

Regards,

Ali
  2. You can opt for Yokohama or michelin.. but other two or not bad enough. I dont think that upscaling tyres will replace the implement of GC kit. Moreover i think that if you upscale your tyres without adding a GC kit, then the Tyres may hit the wheel arch when you go over a pot hole. [Let me know If I am wrong]
    I dont know the details of your other questions as i hadn't experienced with that criteria.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  3. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    I have replaced the stock Goodyears on my TJet with Yokohama C-Drives and find them to be very satisfactory - at least as far as road noise is concerned.

Yet to come across somebody who has upsized tyres on a TJet , but be advised that upsized tyres could possibly lead to denial of suspension related warranty claims.

For retreading your tires .. please do not do it :) The compromises to safety far outweigh the cost savings.

MODS NOTE - Kindly have a read of : http://www.teamfiat.co.in/announcements/4679-request-when-quoting-posts.html
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2012
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    How many km's have the present Goodyears run.

I think you will take quite a financial hit to change them midway so think about it. No doubt there are better tyres out there than the NCT's but that doesn't mean the NCTs inherently are bad. Let them wear out and then change.

And no, retreading old tires is a seriously unsafe proposition. It's better left to taxi guys etc and not for Jet owners :)

Cheers.
  5. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    I have used NCTs close to around 700 kms before switching to MicHelin Primacy LC of the same size. Though Michelin is better in some aspects (noise, comfort, braking) but difference is not huge. If your tyres have life continue with them. If they are at their life end, I would suggest please try out a TJet which has other brand tyres before taking the plunge. Michelin is lot costlier than NCT and you should not feel later that it was not worth it
    linea4me likes this.
  6. iamalpine

iamalpine Timido

Mumbai
    Hi,

I have done close to 40000 Kms on my tjet with the goodyears. In approx 21 months now. I do around 100kms per day. I think I have done their lifecycle because the driving comfort is not there anymore. I can feel a lot of bumps as well as road noise. I have got my Tjet checked with TASS and they have confirmed that suspension and steering issues are not there. I am assuming that tyre change will bring back the feel which I had on day one. Which is why I asked it the first time itself what tyre will give me comfort and stability.
    I got the idea with respect to retreading. Wont go for it :)
    I got the costs for goodyear, bridgestone and michelin. They are 7700, 8800 and 8900 respectively. Yokohoma I though the guy told me 9500+ not sure if I heard him right. But basically all tyre dealers seemed so uninterested in selling or quoting. All of them were if you want to change let us know and we will tell you the final cost. Else find out the cost and then come back. Was surprised with that kind of selling attitude itself. But I guess have no other options as well. I hope FDI changes these....
    Will do some more dealer queries tomorrow. My confusion as of now is between Michelin and Bridgestone. Becasue most people I spoke to as well spoke about bridgestone. I might be wrong as well. Which is why I am here. Please let me know.

Regards,

Ali
  7. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    What prices are you talking about:confused::eek:

Are these costs per tyre?:rolleyes:

The brands you mention are available in the range of Rs.5000 each, unless prices have gone up so much since I changed to Bridgestone more than a year back:banghead:

I have Bridgestone Potenza (which is discontinued now I guess) and am quite satisfied with the performance. Michelin's a good choice too:thumbup:
  8. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    While I suspect another Michelin vs Others debate to spark off soon, I'll still post!

If you are really looking for a better set of tires wrt comfort, grip and silence, the best your money can buy is Michelin Primacy LC. The difference on the above three factors is phenomenal. And you will notice it right from the point you drive out of the tire shop.

There is Continental CPC2 also at that price but then if I'm paying that much, I'll anyday prefer to go for Michelin.

By the way, from where are you getting PLC at 8900 per tire? It is quite hard to believe. Do check the date of tire. My guess is that it'll be more than 6 months old and the dealer wants to get rid of old stock. Please do not buy more than 6-9 months old tire in the interest of your safety.

However if you are not looking to spend Rs 9.5k per tire (it is quite expensive no doubt), the next good option is Yoko.

Apart from the other two, Goodyear ER60 (Turanza) is another good and budget option and way better than NCT5 (especially on the noise aspect, not sure on the comfort factor).

Wow you got C Drives in 205/55/16? When I checked in Sep 2011 there was no stock anywhere (at least in Mumbai!)
    Buddy, huge difference in 195/60 and 205/55! While prices have indeed gone up quickly in the last one year, the difference still remains. The good part however is that Mich PLC is still at Rs 9.5k!
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  9. iamalpine

iamalpine Timido

Mumbai
    Hi,
    The 5000 plus range works for punto. I have got a fiat punto also and those tyres cost in that range. But I guess with a Linea TJet its going to cost that much.

Will check with the dealer on the date of the tyres which he is quoting me at 8900. This was the same guy who said this is the best price and come back only when you want to buy. Seemed arrogant but confident.

Ok so I guess the choice should be between Michelin and yoko.
    As per your view michelin will take care of comfort grip and silence. Which is what I am looking at. The current stock tyres make me feel there is something wrong with the suspension always.I hope this buy sorts it out.
    Does anyone know a reliable Michelin and yoko dealer in Navimumbai.

One more thing do these guys do tyre allingment and wheel balancing by default when we buy new tyres or is it a paid activity.

Regards,

Ali
  10. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Ali,

I have a Linea and 195/60/15 Potenza cost me 19400 for 4 tyres a year back.

Where are you in Navi Mumbai?

Mods Note - Please quote only the relevant section of the post
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2012