1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Warranty against 'Manufacturing' defects: Experiences

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by gauravbatla, Apr 24, 2014.

1. gauravbatla

gauravbatla Novizio

Hi All,

Was just reading terms and conditions of the apollo tyres regarding their 5 year warranty to check what is covered (called the customer care as well) and found out that the warranty is only valid for 'manufacturing' defects.

- What is the experience people have had in case of a bulge, cut or any other issue with the tyre when warranty is claimed? (Not specific to apollo but all tyre companies in general)

- Do tyre companies honour these warrranties or simply say it is not a manufacturing defect and deny? Or take so much time in taking a decision that you just leave the idea altogether?

- If there is a 'manufacturing' defect then it would be visible in may be the first year itself then how does these 5 year warranties make sense? Is it just a marketing gimmick>

- The customer care guy mentioned that they don't cover tyres purchased online but only from their dealers ! I can't seem to digest this. May be he is just mistaken or they mention but actually honour it in case of need.
  2. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Side wall Cut/Bulge does not come under manufacturing defects hence any claim will be rejected. Even my claim against a tyre burst which was only 1 month old & 3000 kms driven got rejected.

3. limraj

limraj Superiore

Linea 1.3
    I got a replacement tyre for sidewall bulge (JK Tyre). Recently, Good year evaluator also told that bulge will be considered for replacement.
    1 person likes this.
  4. gauravbatla

gauravbatla Novizio

That's the problem. They can call anything a non manufacturing defect and deny warranty. Seems like very subjective evaluation

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Yokohama Warranty T&C - Feb 2014.

You are right. The warranty card below goes on to prove the point that pretty much everything is to be determined by the company, more than the customer.

6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Honoring warranty is only a gimmick. No matter what you say they will somehow counter it and deny warranty. Just choose a good brand and hope for the best

Sent from my RM-892_im_india_216 using Tapatalk
  7. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Goodyear did exactly this. Buggers told the roads in Bangalore are not good and hence cannot honor warranty. I told the goodyear guy, I think I should have approached the state government for warranty claim instead of goodyear as they're quite useless.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
  8. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

That's a good one Krishna :D
    Seriously, if there's such a system, then everyone would be suing BBMP for poor roads in Bangalore (AFAIK). I had been riding my 2 wheeler on old airport road for quite sometime recently and the front suspension oil seal has almost given up. If you want to see a road which has 90% of uneven patches, old airport road section between Marathalli and Domlur is the best example.

Contrary to what happened for many of you, I got 50% of tyre value for a side wall cut. The car had done 2.5K kms then. Some pot hole should have played the role as a rubbing mark was clearly visible. I took the tyre to the Apollo regional office in my town and argued with them that they didn't design it for Indian conditions (which now I know is not completely true ;) ). When they refused manufacturer is not liable for such damages, I pressed them to refund 50% minimum as the tyre was very new. I considered myself lucky :cool:
    2 people like this.
  9. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

I had done 6k plus kms on the 75HP and one of the Good Year GT3's had given way, the steel belt had pierced out of the tyre and was protruding outside.

Raised a claim through their toll free number, and took the car to the engineer to inspect at their premises. The tread depth was measured and IIRC, the tolerance is like 5 or 15%, the wear was within that, and hence I did not have to pay anything other than the inconvenience caused.

The damaged tyre should be removed from the alloy, spare mounted to the hub, the damaged tyre taken and given to GY, and the new tyre be collected in return, taken back to the tyre guy, and swapped again with the alloy.

Quite a process, but I never felt like the warranty process was a scam.
  10. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

I recently got my Mrf bike tyre replaced under warranty for some wobbling issue. The Tyre is 2 yrs old but had less wear. Was charged 0 Rs.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk.