1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre upgrade

Discussion in 'Modifications & Tuning' started by sivakumar_nm, Jul 7, 2015.

1. sivakumar_nm

sivakumar_nm Timido

India
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hello,

I have Punto 1.3 MJD and done with 30000kms. Now, I am planning to upgrade my tyre. I have decided to go with 15" Steel Wheel Rim. I found the OEM rim from 99rpm but they said its for LINEA. Can I able to use the Linea 15" Steel wheel rim to my punto

FYI. I am planning to go with Yokahama Earth-1 195/60/r15
    all suggestions are welcome

Thanks ,Siva
  2. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @sivakumar_nm Why not alloys instead of steel rims. Better in long run and also aids to better handling of the car. The old Punto 15" should cost less than 20K.
  3. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  4. sivakumar_nm

sivakumar_nm Timido

India
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for all your inputs.

Finally , I got the 15" Linea OEM Steel Rims and Wheel Caps. After reading the above tyre upgrade threads , still I have lot of confusion for selecting the tyre size 195/60r15 or 195/65r15.

could you someone guide me whether I shall go with 195/65r15 or strict with OEM recommended 195/60r15

Thanks ,Siva
  5. Pradeepms

Pradeepms Amatore

Mysore, Karanataka
    Mysore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yeah even I have this confusion....
    What is the advantage and disadvantages of 195/65/15 and 195/60/15 with 15" steel rims.
    TIA
  6. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    65 profile tyres give 10 mm more GC... This is a ideal tyre for puntos before 2012 which had 170 mm gc. Post 2012, the GC is 185 . which is already high. So generally people stick to 60 profile ..

side effect of 65 profile is . better cushioned ride.. But can also make the body roll a bit more on curves..

It is a tradeoff. Either cushioned high GC ride (65 ) Vs stability at high speeds (60)..
  7. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Its more of Handling Vs Comfort.
    Technically,
    60 profile:Lower profile provides stability while taking corners as the side wall height will be less and will flex less.

65 profile:With slight increase in side wall height,provides comfortable ride compared to 60s,but can expect little body roll.

65s provide ~9mm higher ride,which is very minimal from inside but it would increase the GC to ~204mm from 195mm.
    65s will fill wheel arch to the most of it, which looks good on Punto.

Tyres of different brand have their own behaviour on road,So its not just Handling Vs comfort when compared across brands IMO.

Those who have used 65s over 60s on punto are the best to provide their actual findings.
  8. sivakumar_nm

sivakumar_nm Timido

India
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    please share your thoughts who using the 195/65r15 profile already
  9. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It all depend upon the type of expectation you have from the tyre.
    I slick tyre with side wall 60 mm will always be used for some racing application reasons explained by maddy and the less the amount of air the more the tyre will run cooler and expansion will be on lower side. More over slick tyres such as potenza have a unique tread design which is basically made to contain air to run it more cooler and release it when heated up this as a result will make lot of road noise which will finally infeltrate inside the cabin. The greater the speed the more you hear the noise.These tyre will never be ride comfortable and will pass even the slightest undulation to the cabin

65mm section is mid range where you get some advantages of 60mm and simaltaneously some ride comfort but not as equal to 70mm.
    If you run your car with family then stay with 195 65 15 provided you are running with 15" alloy otherwise the best option will be 185 70 14 for 14" rims.
    Moreover tyres are seggregated primary under 3 categories by each company
    1) economy
    2) Touring
    3) Sports

Prefer to stay with touring category provided you are not very strict about budget.
    Hope this helps
  10. sivakumar_nm

sivakumar_nm Timido

India
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have the 15" Linea OEM Steel Rims now, only confusion between selecting the tyre profile between 195/65r15 or 195/60r15(stock tyre).