1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Re: What tyres to buy??

Lele lele lele.....

Sent from my Samsung S3 using Tapatalk 2
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Always heard that Yoko V550 had soft side wall. On another thread a mumbai member reported that he had to change those tyres one by one within few thousand kms and they kept craking on the side walls.
  3. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3

If all we did was keep hearing, we would end up with others choices and not our own choice.

any tire can develop cracks its not just restricted to softer ones so no point in generalizing on that front, If you keep thinking about such intricacies then you might aswell park the car and use public transport bro :).

PS: Good news, recently my dad finalised some deals with tire manufacturers and will be soon opening an automotive shop in Greater mohali, Punjab. Starting with Tires will move onto audio, service, detailing and gradually to a complete service station in the span of 5-7 Years. Lets hope all goes to plan
    5 people like this.
  4. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

BANG ON !!! :-D
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  5. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    A slightly OT post:

The other day, I had replaced all four tyres of my wife's WagonR with MRFs ZVTS (she does not drive too much). After the tyres were balanced & fitted, I happened to see a small one page tyre manual which was packed in the tyre. One point it emphasized is that the yellow paint dot on the sidewall must be aligned with the valve body. This may probably be for better balancing. (Can anyone else throw more light on this?)

It was too late for me to act on this info - the fellow had fitted the tyres with the yellow dot anywhere but aligned with the valve body. When I asked him, he had no idea about this matter.

So, for those buying new tyres, you could get the tyres fitted using this bit of info.

Regards
    Johnny
    4 people like this.
  6. LineaDriver

LineaDriver Novizio

KL-07
    Tire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia mentions the following.

To facilitate proper balancing, most high performance tire manufacturers place red and yellow marks on the sidewalls to enable the best possible match-mounting of the tire/wheel assembly. There are two methods of match-mounting high performance tire to wheel assemblies using these red (uniformity) or yellow (weight) marks
  7. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I too did a bit of googling after posting.

What comes out is that the yellow dot indicates the lightest part of the tyre. So, aligning it with the valve body would compensate for this lower weight, and then the wheel would be easier to balance.

I wish I knew this before I changed my Punto's tyres recently.

Regards
    Johnny
  8. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    My office is right there. Is this the shop right outside Technopolis? There are two shops on that road - one is a slightly smaller one compared to the other (comes first to your left if you are driving towards Sector 56 / Kendriya Vihar). Be very careful of the smaller shop. I went with a colleague to get a set of 4 tyres for his i20 and this chap tried to put in a tyre which had a slight damage to its sidewall. Thankfully I spotted it right before we were paying up.

Yaar at this price, I am glad there are no more track days till November. Or I would have been in queue to change my Jet's shoes fairly soon as well.

Sir for us illiterates, pictorial guide is needed. What I understand is that the tyre should be mounted in such a way that the yellow dot is placed right where the valve is. Correct?
  9. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3

Ansal22ji,

pls share the location of the shop.
  10. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida
    This is in DLF phase 5 once you mover ahead from the golf course. Its on the left. forgot the name.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.