1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Re: What tyres to buy??

Ganges, you can't classify sidewall flexing under overall grip. Make no mistake, the MY02 s are awesome in terms of grip under normal usage and also panic braking. Absolutely no squealing drama.

As far as my experience goes, MY02 is better in overall grip. Sidewall flexing while taking fast turns doesn't fall under lack of grip, they take away some of our fun from driving and that is it. :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    eventhough it gives good grip,it is the feeling that these tires gives.As the switchover have been made from Gt3 and Yoko AVS DB having hard sidewalls.
    i need a mental switchover about soft sidewall grip,will stik to your words for the grip of MY-02.

Yes.
  3. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    ^^ Exactly the same feeling with MRF ZlO's. I have driven on them for 5K kms now. They soak up bumps and potholes very well when compared to my stock Accelere's which used to crash into potholes and every minor undulation on the road used to be felt strongly inside. Just loving the comfort level within the city. Grip is excellent, ABS kicks in less on these and the vehicle comes to a halt pretty quickly on braking.

On the flip side, when hard braking on a curve or bad roads, i get a weird feeling about the sidewalls flexing too much. Not very confidence inspiring upon braking, feel like i should hold onto the steering tighter. Now im thinking this phenomenon is common with all Soft sidewalled tyres (not just the ZLO's), just need to check out cars with other tyres and then make a decision about the next set of tyres. Still a long way to go though.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Now the reviews are seriously killing my choices. Earlier when i concluded Yoko AVS Db are good for me, i read from people that the side walls are soft and crack easily. Now i had almost finalised on MY02 and here i see they are not giving good driving experience. This is the most complex decision suddenly " Which tyres to buy ":evil:
  5. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida
    Absolutely perfectly said Italia.

Even I have bene in the same dilemna . Have not been able to put a final stamp on one tyre for the last 4 months. And I have to decide in the next 2 weeks max, else i endanger myself running on only alloys.

HELP NEEDED !!!!!
    1 person likes this.
  6. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    The problem with the Soft tyres seems to be that there is a feeling of delay between turning the Steering and the car pointed in the direction we want. I never felt this on my Accelere's, it used to be very sharp.

On another member's punto which had 2 Mic PLC's and 2 stock GT3's (Can't remember which ones were on the front and which ones on the back) i had the same delay feeling.

Didn't feel this delay on Nkiran's S Drives when i drove it for about 300 kms but that was in the middle of the night when i was probably half asleep so can't be very sure. ;)

If someone gives me one and only one chance, i'll switchback straight to Accelere's and not risk trying anything else.
    2 people like this.
  7. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

MY02 is a good choice. Just that some of the handling is compromised by better comfort and lesser road noise. Please note that by handling I mean when we are in the mood to play with the car, like late night drives, ( I just had one) when the roads are empty you tend to do some quick driving. The soft sidewalls are evident only when you flip the steering wheel for a quick lane change or when you go around a circle at considerable speeds. It took me 8k kms of driving between MY02 and GT3 back to back to figure this out.

Don't you worry, you would enjoy the comfort and less road noise when you have your family with you. ;)

And by soft we definitely do not mean Michelin PLC kinda soft. It's softer than GT3. I have done some offroading too and the tyres came out unscathed.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Hmm. I am more confused. Finally, I may end up buying GT3 itself by compromising the road noise. :)
  9. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai

No way, you need to TD multiple cars before coming to this conclusion. After having used PLC's I will never go back to GT3. Yes there is slight loss in handling, but the ride is just awesome.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    2 people like this.
  10. I second teky, I would not touch GT3 or any hard tires even with left hand!! I got air pressure gauge from Ebay and fill 33 PSI as cold air pressure, I don't have issues of side wall flex.
    Call me fan boy but i am just loving what Michilin is offering me.
    3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.