1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theblack

theblack Esperto

my upsize is not official or on the records for FIAT .. in such a case how do i know what is the proper PSI ?
    In any case just to be safe i've upped to 33PSI for now until further info
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Consult the tyre guy or just experiement with 33 / 32 / 34 psi when cold and see what suits the tyre the best. The contact patch must be flat.

I used to run 36 psi in 205 / 65 / 15 on a car weighing 1600kg and it was fine. So there's no set figure.
  3. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have liked the GT3s - it meets all my requirements. After 48000 kms, the tread depth appeared adequate for about 2000 kms of city driving. However, since I do a lot of long distance driving, I felt that a change was warranted. Long distance driving at high speeds is one of the critical conditions for the tyre. Under these conditions the tyres tend to heat up resulting in slight changes to the tyre compound, which can cause tyre failure.

For the replacement I opted for GT3s.

My telephonic inquiries brought out that GT3s were available in NOIDA ranging from 4550/= each to 4850/= each. The difference was in the tyre manufacturing date, which in my opinion is a very critical criteria when buying new tyres. Tyres age on the shelf considerably, and the result is lower life/safety. I decided to go for the tyres costing 4850/= since the owner said that they were 2013 stock. All others had 2011/2012 stock.

I spoke with the owner of the shop (Tyreshoppe in NOIDA), and took my car to the shop in Sector 16 NOIDA. The 'mechanics' were expecting me, and were in a hurry to remove my old tyres, and fit the new ones. I did not let them touch the car till I saw the new tyres. When I saw them, I was surprised to see that they were early 2012 manufacture!! The owner was not available, so I rang him up and asked him his 'game-plan'. He was most apologetic, and agreed to get the new tyres from his main shop in Sector 5 NOIDA.

The new tyres arrived after 15 mins, and they were indeed first week 2013 manufacture. The fitment, balancing, and alignment were done very professionally. (I had to take the car to Sec 5 for the alignment since the shop in Sec 16 did not have the parameters for the Punto). I have five alloys, and they removed all five tyres and fitted the best old tyre on the steppney, which has a very slight bent. They also gave Rs 500/= for the old tyres, and the whole deal cost me Rs 18900/= for four new GT3s. Now I plan to drive sedately for 500 kms before pushing the new tyres - this is a good precaution for better tyre life & safety.

The point that I want to emphasise is about checking tyre life. I had covered this in an earlier thread. On the sidewall of the tyre close to the rim is a depressed rectangular box with four figures. The first two are the week, and the next two are the year. For eg. my tyres have the figure "0113", meaning first week of 2013. The box may be only on one side as in the case of GT3s. Tyre dealers regularly cheat customers and palm off their old stock to customers who are unaware of this point.

5 people like this.
  4. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

The manual states around 33/30 (or maybe 34/31 - do not remember exact figure) for normal load. For full load it quotes 36/33. Strangely, the sticker on the car suggests 36/33 only. I am still sticking with 35/32 (or sometimes 36/33) but not sure if this is the correct pressure
  5. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

IIRC, just like the sticker, the manual also suggests two sets of figures - one for 195/55/15 (normal Linea) and the other for 205/55/16 (TJet).

There is no accurately correct pressure per se unless you deviate wildly from the suggested figures. A variation of 1-2 psi (from the recommended one) is acceptable. We have to factor in own weight, road conditions, loaded weight of the car, weather conditions etc. The key is to check that the car should not be 'bouncy' (over inflation) or 'draggy'/'sagging' (under-inflation). The car should feel 'taut' or 'firm'.

But these are just some indicative examples I cite from my experience. There is a trial and error process involved to arrive at your best figures. Use the manufacturer recommended ones as the base and tweak ONLY IF your load and driving feels awkward.

Please DO NOT drive on under inflate tires AT ALL. They are the single biggest cause of blowouts at high speeds.
  6. manojnambiar

manojnambiar Novizio

Hi Royj, have you changed ur tyres....if so which one u have opted and how do u feel the same..?
  7. royj

royj Esperto

Yes I have gone for MRF ZLO. Here is my post regarding the change over. For more details read this post and the following discussion over the next few pages
    1 person likes this.
  8. GoDofWaR

GoDofWaR Novizio

mumbai, india
    hello everyone. a few months back (oct/nov 2012) my linea completed 25000 kms so i visited premji tyres at thane for balancing/alignment and also to check the life of my tyres. Mr.premji told me that there are air bubbles in the sidewalls of my tyres and i should get them changed. but i asked him if i can drive for 5k more ? He suggested that i can drive for 15k but he wont advise that coz the sidewall can rupture anytime. so i decide i will drive 5k more and currently the odo reading stands at 34k. There have been no problems so far but to be on the safer side i am gonna change them next week.i am gonna do an upsize: 195/65/15 . my linea usually scrapes on those stupid speed bumps in mumbai/thane/dombivili areas.the dombivili ones are a nightmare. i am kinda confused between michelin primacy lc , yoko avs db v550 ,bridgestone my-02(if available) and mrf zlo.
    my preference :
    (1) atleast 40000 kms life.
    (2) low noise(coz the gt3s are horrible)
    (3) grip

my dad occasionally goes to palghar and the driver drives the car so i cannot control how the driver drives over potholes.though the route is not riddled with potholes, my only worry is there's a section in palghar may be 10kms in total where the roads are pretty bad and i mean really bad. i am in favour of the michelin plcs but i have read a bit about its softer sidewalls though many people say that its just a myth.my next choice after plcs is yoko ,my-02 and zlo. If i was the "indian" of russel peters' "all indians are cheap" theory i would go for zlo but i do like plc. please help me out with this dilemma.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i have recently upgraded to this profile but only front two tires,changed it with 195/65/R15 Yoko AVS DB and rear i will be having Bridgestone MY02* .(already bought one Bridgestone MY 02 and its in the spare may be next month i will get another one)

*its not recommended to use two different patterns of tires on your car.
  10. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

wouldn't it be a very bumpy ride...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.