1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jumu

jumu Superiore

@Driver, Pls tell us how the braking is. At 60, at 90 and above 100 kmph. Is it locking ?, Is it skidding, Is there screeching ?.Is it taking a while to grip? We can carry on with most compromises but braking is the key. Await to hear from you :)

1 person likes this.
  2. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Re: What tyres to buy??

@jumu, I can recollect one scenario where in I had to do panic braking. The braking was progressive and composed. No squealing, no screeching.

If i find something bad about these tyres definitely would update here.

Meanwhile, one difference I noticed which is similar to srida's observation. People from Chennai know the kathipara flyover, with the GT3s, at whatever speeds i take the long sweeping turn, I could not feel the tyres flexing, but with these MY 02s I could feel it, but then again air pressure plays a major role here, I was a bit low then. Anyway, the sidewalls are not as hard as the GT3s. But in normal day to day usage on our roads, I do not feel any difference in cornering.

I am attaching the bill here, I was charged 5.5k per tyre.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  3. Sidewall flex again slightly changes from tire to tire, for GT3's hard rubber compound, cold air pressure of 32 psi is enough to have good composure in curves at higher speeds but with tires like Michilin I had to fill 33 psi to achieve the same effect.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. Italia-Linea,

I don't want to confuse you further than what you already are here is the logic what I care most about is grip,which helps in breaking
    See there must be some tradeoff . If you need grip then you need to have a soft compound tyre. and moreover soft compound does not mean it will get flat often or have side wall cuts. I keep going to worst roads possible in my soft compound tire( i am not naming the tire as i will be labeled as salesman or fanboy) yet I haven't had issues but I am little careful than what I used to be in hard compound tires while getting off the single lane road to give way to other vehicles.
    if you drive is going to only in the sort conditions you mentioned like SH or poor quality interstate roads,then go for hard compound tires they tend suit the conditions better.
    As I am saying this i drive in places where roads existed once but with slight caution.
    3 people like this.
  5. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

It is well known fact that yoko has a very weak side wall. I was styck in traffic at old delhi and because of unavoidable reasons the sidewall brushed the angles on dividers and voila a 2 inches cut.

The tube work around did well until the first puncture. I bought a new tire (same make) to replace that tire.

Overall c drives are really good but does not have much life mostly 35-40k.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  6. CPC is good tire.
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Its certainly not true. Side wall is little softer to provide ride comfort, but its not weak.
    I have driven it on all types of road.
    I have already driven my C Drive over 28K, and by looking the tread, it will easily go 15-20K more.
    Go ahead, this is an excellent tyre.
    1 person likes this.
  8. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

MRF ZLO 195/60 R15

I got the MRF ZLO's on my Punto on Saturday. Did about 250Kms on all kinds of Roads already. One word - these tyres are strictly for comfort only.

Pretty much what Srida already mentioned but you never understand the feeling unless you try it. ;)

The good:

Straight away the steering got a lot lighter, driving experience within the city and in traffic is a breeze now.
    It soaks up rough roads pretty well, the ride has gotten a lot smoother within the city compared to my Stock Accelere's.
    Grip is good, no screeching, No skidding so not much work for the ABS.
    Very silent.

The Bad:

Too soft for spirited driving, i have this weird spongy feel. It's kind of like the side walls are flexing too much when taking curves at high speeds.
    Again, probably due to the softness, Hit the brakes at high speeds and the whole car gets unsettled and the tyre's start to point in different directions. One has to work hard on the steering to get everything back on track. This was scary. I never had to do so much steering correction with my Accelere's, they were point and shoot tyre.

After all the above happened, i waited for my tyres to cool down and increased the pressure to 35 PSi. With that kind of pressure on my Accelere's, the ride would have gotten too harsh, but this damn thing is still soft and spongy.

Handling at high speeds has gotten a bit better at high speeds with the increase in pressure but is still not how i want it to be.

For any driver within the city, this is a great tyre.

For a sedate driver it would be quite satisfactory on the highway too.

If you get onto the highway's often and drive spiritedly, take my word and stay away from this tyre, it's not for you and it's not for me.

I bought it for 4500 each and donno how im going to live with these tyres with my style of driving. My daily run to the office (>< 90kms) is going to be ok, no issues with that. But my highway runs are going to be ruined by these tyres.

Are these good tyres?
    Yes, at their price, they are very good tyres for city/sedate driving.

Will they get better as i clock a few more kms?
    No, i don't think so. I do not have an issue with the grip levels they are offering. i just have an issue with their weird behavior on braking at high speeds. It's definitely the compound/side wall thats making it behave that way and i don't think that will change. Will try different pressures every week to find the right balance but it's strange that i'll need more than 35 psi. I might just get used to them in a few days.

Will i buy them again?
    Not in my dreams. These are not for me. I'll probably go for the Accelere's again next. I don't care about them being hard and making noise.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    is that safe to maintain 35psi in long runs... ?
  10. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Anything below 40 shouldn't be a safety concern, but that's just what i think/feel.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.