1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahh!! there you go, I hate to buy anything made specific to Indian conditions!!
    If you look in terms of cars , No crash tested,featureless,Kitna deta hai is the car for indian conditions
    Similarly for tires ,Slippery on hard breaking,not much of comfort,bursting tire with ability to send occupants to grave yard, more than every thing just hard and long lasting(myth).

Let me share a recent incident, we brought a Vespa Lx125, it comes with Pirelli/Michilin in Europe ,but with MRF nylogrip in India.
    Tire used to give up on grip at speeds of 40 kmph much before chassis is about to give up.
    I went to market looking for softer tires with good thread pattern even in the edge of the tires, Only soft among hard tires was CEAT secura NEO, now Vespa does loose grip but at speeds over 60 kmph.

I have had test drive on a Pulsar with Michilin(ISI certified), Owner is happy that he is much safer on the roads than his sold MFR ZAPPER. I couldn't disagree.
    Pulsar just behaved so planted even in wet condition, I advised My co-brother to go for Michilin for his Karizma.

Thank God my car/bike or car tire are not made for Indian conditions:) Although would love to see CPC or Mich on Vespa but have to settle down to CEAT for lack of options.

- - - Merged Post - - -

In the above picture can you see the tire rubber dust on alloy? that tells you how the car was driven.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  2. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Re: What tyres to buy??

I would request all members to note that there are no job vacancies available at any tire manufacturers so kindly let the guys employed at the respective companies do their jobs since they are the ones getting paid not us.

As for sidewall cuts and bulges see it can happen on the hardest as well as softest tire so it depends on your luck, non of us intentionally try to create a bulge nor do we wish to cut it, its only down to luck sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. I have faced two sidewall cuts in 55 profile S-Drives and also mrf ZVTV tyre which are not necessarily the softest tires and a fellow member has also got a cut on his PLC's which are supposedly soft. So lets just buy the tire that suits our pockets and needs and not the one that may or may not have sidewall cuts or bulges.

Sahi baat hai na bhai log

Waheguru Waheguru
    2 people like this.
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    See what you are trying to compare is what is available in market.

Indian condtions - the word itself is quite clear , isnt it?

Bad roads , slippery roads in rains, pot-holes, hot and cold climates - this is indian conditions.

I dont know which tyre will fullfill all this.

A bad luck will cause any tyre to fail, but if you look at yokohama alone check the side wall thickness. As per applications they have soft, hard and combination.
    I check the AVS DB in shops - i was about to buy this tyre, this has very think sidewall, was flexing even if you press with small finger. also our forum member mentioned that he changed 3 tyres in 8000 kms.
    Now C drives have thick wall and its not flexing. But its bit nosiy tyre.

Similarly i have checked XM2 and PLC, XM2 does not flex at all. PLC flexes easily.

PLC are very comfortable with low road noise and good grip, but according to the tyre seller itself he says they are delicate tyres.

P.S - i am not trying to say you got bad tyres or someone got better - i am still confused which tyres to buy as i am not finding the right ones. Reviews of Maxxis MAZ1 is very good. Nosiy tyres with extreme grips and strong side walls, but not available.
    Good year Assurance - good tyres ( still no concrete reviews) , Yoko AVS DB - comfort, grip but delicate, Michelin PLC - same case + costly, Michelin XM2- very good new technology tyres for indian roads - not available in 15" . Dont know what to go for.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Till now your view says there is no perfect tire which gives me "No Noise & Best in Grip and lasts long(depending upon the drive)",to clear your confusion i would say compromise one of the either i.e go for either best in grip or silent/comfort tire.
    OR
    use two different sets of tire 2-silent tires & 2- grip tires and this is what i'm gonna do... as already i'm running front two with AVS DB and rear GT3(done with 52K Kms and its now due to change)
  5. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Using 2 different patterns is not sensible at all for the dyanamics of the car. Its like wearing bata in one leg and lee-cooper in another leg.
    I agree to your point. I need to compromise on something :)

I would then think of goodyear Assurance which has Dupont kevlar technology which has strong side wall and good grips. I need to check review on road noise though.
    I would say noise i can compromise on but cant stay with soft side walls that would cut. Tyres are really costly these days.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i dont believe in this unless we use it practically.
    i have not seen any difference in my ride,i'm running front with 195/65/R15 profile AVS DB with rear 195/60/R15 GT3.

i will prefer the grip tires on the rear ;) well its a individual choice,few go with white papers while others practically...

i would say you avoid this thread :D otherwise you will end up again with Gt3 :D ... just kidding..

AVS DB are not so bad in grip,but yes GT3 is way ahead in grip. it's just like rounding off the numbers 1.7 = 2,,, 1.4 = 1
  7. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    @Ganges: So, does this mean that you would never rotate your tyres? :D
    1 person likes this.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    that is the reason why i said AVS DB are not so bad in grip ;) i will rotate with different profile as well.
    Out of my 52000 Kms drive till today i have seen that 100 Kmph and 120Kmph speed are common.. given with this speed i believe different set of pattern can work at optimmum level with the "grip" in rotation as well.
    From my last 3000 Kms drive i have observed(with front new AVS DB and rear the old mighty GT3) most of the grip work(75% AVS DB and 25% Gt3) was done by AVS DB it was great awesome @ 120 Kmph as well.
  9. khoj

khoj Amatore

Dilli
    Parimal is running his Punto Sports on PLCs right from within a couple of hours of delivery and I think he has covered close to 24K kms in the 6 months that he has had the vehicle. His running is 80% highways including a run to Delhi for the F1 with three adults on board and yet another trip to Beed last week with 5 adults and 1 child. This last trip was very rough as car was loaded with pax and baggage and the roads in the interiors were broken/not up to the mark at all. Point is he drives on all sorts of surfaces and yet his tires are in prime condition. Infact he finds them better than the GR90 on my car. Not just him his mother while riding in my car last week commented that my car was noisier and my vehicle does not groan or creak.

I believe it all depends on how one drives is what ultimately shows up on the side walls. If one insists on doing high speeds on roads which are littered with potholes or with loose stones etc etc or not try and avoid road surface debris well there is only so much that the rubber can take. I have personally seen people ride over small rocks, metal strips, protruding man hole covers, construction debris like morons with nary a care and then crying about stuff a lot more serious and expensive than a damaged tire.

A friend who is famous for his travelogues on another forum has these on his civic. He bought these after his OE tires fizzled out. Now this gentleman takes his civic on any kind of road and surfaces with no roads. Look at the combination low slung car + Assurance tires + Considerate driver = undamaged tires. I have no reason to doubt or second guess his selection as his travels are 90% with his family (wife & two daughters). So the experience is not exactly personal but if he has confidence in the Assurance, so do I.

10. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Yes indeed this the tyre debate is going to land up nowhere. this is similar to what is the best car. Lets see, will go to the shop with a vernier and check the side wall thinkness :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.