1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Need some one to compare the PLC with ZLO. From what I see, in comfort and road noise they are neck and neck. It is the performance part that needs verification.

At 14" we get only XM2. Here the cost was 4950/- for XM2 and 3800/- for ZLO. Unless the performance is really really better, I see no point in spending that much more for Michelin.
    1 person likes this.
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    R&D expense does not neccessarily translate to better products. For example, Maruti spent 173 crores in 2009-10 on R&D :evilsmile

Rajan
    3 people like this.
  3. Although offtopic , I would still like to answer, Do you see the number new swifts on the road or Ertiga,they have been able to manage stay on top,that was the reason why they spent such money.

Resutls what I posted was for year 2011.I don't believe with out spending on R&D much tire companies can come up with best tires in the segment.
  4. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Off topic...i am looking for 215/75 R15 Tyres for my uncle's Tata Sierra .. Can anyone suggest good tyre. His running will be 800 -1000 Kms on rural roads per month rest of the time he drives in city.
  5. LineaDriver

LineaDriver Novizio

KL-07
    Can you please explain what happened with your tires side wall? I was considering Yoko C Drive as next set of tyres for my Linea.
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    All manufacturers put lot of money in R$D. I say over rated because they are very costly compared to all other similar tyres in cost and no major advantage. I have asked so many people and they have complained with cut side walls and michelin not honoring warranty.

I am using Michelin XM1+ , they are not too soft. But still they have developed hairline cracks in 12000 kms.

If R&D costs was the only measure to compare tyres then we would not be having michelins not compatible to indian roads which have side walls cut, which wear out quickly.

They have series. XM2 is more targetted for indian roads. Earlier XM1 were very soft and used to wear out and cut off in very less kms. then they modified it by adding more silicon in them and launched XM1+

Going by that way Dunlop are the tyre inventors.
  7. arian

arian Amatore

Mumbai
    Michelin XM2 is a good choice in the current Michelin range
  8. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Any reviews for Bridgestone MY-02?
  9. PLC and XM1 are different,JFYI i managed to have sidewall cut on the GT3, I have even updated it some where.what do you say about GT3 tire bursts? I am yet to see post where is some one is writing about meeting with accident due to tire loosing grip in Michelin or even tire burst.I have seen side wall bulge issue and cuts yet went to Michilin why? you may want read the next few lines.

I re-iterate my stand no other tire manufacturer spent over Euro 2.5 Billion in last 4+ years.If i am wrong show me the proof I have no hesitation in bowing down.But with utmost respect to you please don't post something with out data to back it up.

Reason you got XM2 was due to complaints of XM1,Michilin ruled consumer and F1 circuits for longer time than others.
    You have to recognize who is trying to give a better product to the customer,Continental,Pirelli and Michilin are the top brands in tires today, one has to shell out top bucks to have them, because these guys have spent enough time and money in making them better products.

Side wall cuts are just over blown subject,be what ever the tire if one doesn't slow down after seeing pot hole,depending on what angle the sidewall is coming in contact with pothole there can be a cut.When ever one makes warrenty claim Michilin engineer him self meets with the customer to explain their assessment.yes they donot honar warrenty claims on tire damages due to wrong usage as do some other tire manufacturers. Even then they calculate the usage life left in older tire and there is money involved to get the new ones.

I was in the same dilemma when buy my replacement tire for GT3,side wall toughness was one of the major requirement.
    But after going for PLC , I have driven 6 k kms out of which 4 K is highway ride in worst possible kind of roads.I have created 3-4 travelogues in last 6months or so.

As far is radial tire it self is concerned it was invented by Michelin not Dunlop. PLC has the silent rib technology so it radically different XM1/+/2,you can not come pare them with PLC.

From Wiki
    Michelin has made a number of innovations to tyres, including in 1946 the radial tyre (then known as the "X" tyre).[SUP][4][/SUP] It was developed with the front-wheel-drive Citroën Traction Avant and Citroën 2CV in mind. Michelin had bought the then bankrupt Citroën in the 1930s. As of August 2008, this tyre is still available for the 2CV. In 1934, Michelin introduced a tyre, which if punctured, would run on a special foam lining, now known as a run-flat tyre (self-supporting type).

In 1988, Michelin acquired the tyre and rubber manufacturing divisions of the American B.F. Goodrich Company founded in 1870. This included the Norwood, North Carolina manufacturing plant which supplied tyres to the U.S. Space Shuttle Program.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][8][/SUP] Two years later, it bought Uniroyal, Inc., founded in 1892 as the United States Rubber Company. Uniroyal Australia had already been bought by Bridgestone in 1980.
    Michelin also controls 90% of Taurus Tire in Hungary, as well as Kormoran, a Polish brand.
    As of 1 September 2008, Michelin is again the world's largest tyre manufacturer after spending two years as number two behind Bridgestone.[SUP][9][/SUP] Michelin produces tyres in France, Spain, Germany, the USA, the UK, Canada, Brazil, Thailand, Japan, Italy and several other countries
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
    2 people like this.
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Sat-chit-ananda ,

I am not at all saying that michelins are bad tyres. Also i am not saying GT3 are better than that. i have already mentioned that there is gurantee on how gt3 will perform after 20,000kms.
    I am using michelins on all my other cars as well. So i have good experience on them as well. Yes i havent used PLC till now.

Again i say R&D costs doesnt make all tyres of michelins better.

A simple example : Volvo invests 10 times more in R&D than TATA, but volvo fleet trucks suffer from engine problems due to overheating in indian conditions.

Similarly if michelin has solely devloped a good tyre for Indian conditions itself, i would love to go for them immediately.

My experience with XM1 was bad XM1+ is good and friends running on XM2 are best.

But for PLC which are already costly tyres, no doubt they are premium and very comfortable tyres, there are issues people face like buldge, cuts , premature wearout.

So my only take is every manufacturer has a chart where it places all its model from comfort, sports, life etc. PLC somehow stands inbetween.

This has happened within 750kms

P1020547.JPG
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.