1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    I am on the search for new tires for my 2010 emotion MJD (stock size 175/70 R14) running on steel rims.
    Earlier i had planned for alloys also but budget constraints made me back out.
    One question though if i am changing the size to 185/70 R14, do i need to buy 5 in all?
    Question because, if i get one punctured would it be wise to drive with a spare wheel of different size?
    Also suggestions welcome for OK ish tires on stock size. I am not too much concerned about tyre noise.
  2. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    yes, you will need to buy 5. I recently did this change and bought 5 tyres.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  3. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Waiting for your update.
  4. Vj_Vi. I fell sick in the weekend. So couldn't use my laptop.

I am back from the Trichy Trip. Even Before the Trichy trip I had a doubt that, the ride has become harsh with the New tyres and I was thinking it may be because of the Nitrogen in it. So before heading to trichy, I decided to reduce the Nitro pressure from the tyres. They were all 33psi and reduced to 31 Psi. Wow what a change ! All of a sudden the car felt like it is sticking to the road. From my house I took the Highway route to reach the petrol pump. I tried speeds like 120 130, the car was not confident at all. After reducing the pressure to 31 at the petrol pump, I took the same highway route to go home. This time, the same 120 130 felt so good, and encouraged me to push further. Since the stretch is small I couldn't go beyond 140. But even at that speed the car felt solid. So I thought 33 psi nitrogen was the reason for the car to behave bumpy, spongy and wallowing. Initially I thought if I increase the pressure, the too spongy side wall feel would go away. Roy too said that. But instead of increasing, I reduced the pressure and that spongy feel was gone. To explain it differently, I can say after reducing the pressure, the surface contact between the tyre and the road has increased. Previously the the tyre was so hard and rounded, it didn't shape itself to the road surface but after reducing the pressure it was able to do that since it became little flat. I don't know if that is the reason, but the feedback made me feel like that.

Ok now coming to the drive to trichy.

Straight Line: I did Speed upto 160 KMPH. No issues till then but Dosen't feel as nicer as GT3. But the road between chennai - thindivanam has lot of undulations and even 140 KMPH felt like the grip is loosing but that was the case with the GT3 too.
    GT3 > ZLO

Corners : At corners, till 150 the car felt rock solid, especially the tyres felt sticking to the road and no side wall sponginess at all. Earlier I felt the sidewall bending feel even at 100 when taking corners. But After 150 like
    say at 152 KMPH itself I started feeling that the sidewall is bending and the car is gonna roll and forced me to slowdown. Thanks to the 31 Psi.
    GT3 >> ZLO

Wet : I didn't have a chance to test this.

Ride Comfort on bad hiway : The route from trichy to pudukottai was the worst I have ever seen. Still the car managed nicely. I would say little better than GT3. Nobody felt any discomfort, jitter or anything. But the strange comment from the passengers was that, they could feel the condition of the road. I am holding the steering so I get the feedback but why did the passengers get it. They mentioned that the ride is smooth but the road could felt inside the car. Strange.
    ZLO > GT3

Noise : The Tyres are silent. But that doesn't mean the cabin is silent. All these days, the noise from GT3 was masking the engine noise and the wind noise. But now these noises are free to come into the cabin making it no different. I would say, the noise from Gt3 was better than the engine and wind noise, atleast the tyre noise had some invlovement with the drive. But engine and wind noise don't feel like a part of the drive. I
    ZLO > GT3. Practically no use in going for a Silent tyre for a MJD punto IMHO.

So with the ZLO and based on the my recent drive to trichy, I can say the safe speeds would be <140 KMPH for both corners and straight line. Earlier I used to take corners (not tight corners) at speeds more than 150 with the GT3 but with ZLO I have to forget doing that.

My requirement with the new tyres was, A Perfect balance between Performance, Ride Comfort, Road Noise and Cost.
    Did ZLO fulfill that ? YES.
    Would I go for ZLO again ? NO
    Why ? I will make a better requirement. Next time I will remove Road noise and Cost from my Requirement.

This week I may travel to Neyveli. I am plannig to remove nitrogen from the tyres and fill air with 32 Psi. I will see if ZLO comes closer to GT3 in my heart.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
    5 people like this.
  5. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Thanks for the exhaustive feedback. I had already made up my mind for the ZLO but just asked since you said you'll test it. I was planning to get my tyres changed friday itself but i couldn't contact the dealer before 6:30 in the evening, when he mentioned that their godown is closed. So this week may be.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    you gone with multitasking here,please be carefull at such speeds.
  7. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Srida, though I haven't tried 3 digit speeds since I changed the tyres, my experience with the behaviour of ZLO is fully in line with yours. Though I am :confused: with your experience from reducing the tyre pressure.

I have increased the pressure to 36psi normal air and the ride has firmed up a bit. Still the tyre is supremely comfortable and provides a very soft ride. Though I have never felt the tyres lose its grip, it really doesn't provide the confidence for taking corners at speed. There is no tyre noise whatsoever. It never squeals or screeches whatever you do.
    From what I see, the ZLO provides an excellent combination of Ride Comfort, Road Noise and Cost. If you want sporty performance, look elsewhere.
    2 people like this.
  8. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    royj, has it got anything to do with the effect on rubberised tarmac of Kerala roads ? It will be interesting to hear from srida about the squeal, screech on tamilnadu roads.

Abdul
  9. Jumu, No signs of squeal or screech on our roads. But as I said one could feel the sidewall being pressedwhen taking corners at highspeed which would make the driver take his legs off the Apedal. Even though the sidewall bends, the tyre grips to the road nicely.
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Looks like this is a different kind of tyre that one needs to get used to. Ive been keenly watching this thread after my tyre fiasco, but I guess I will keep off this tyre too.:) It seems the GT3 and the C drives are the ones that have some kind of unanimity when it comes to all round performance, give and take a few disgruntled ones of the GT3.

Abdul
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.