1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Re: Replacement of stock TYRES for the PUNTO

Does Yoko C-Drive comes in 185/70 R14 size?
  2. Gopi

Gopi Amatore

PaddleShifter, Thanks for posting the good rotation method from Goodyear website.

I have an update to share with you guys. I changed the stock good year GT3 195/60/R15 after 13K kms to Yoko C-drive - all 4 wheels. The spare is still with the almost new GT3. I had plans of changing only one tyre when I went to the shop. But the sales guy offered me to buy back the old tyres at Rs.2800. One tyre in the front was fully damaged and the other one had three monster nails sitting on them. So thought about it for a while and changed all the 4 tyres. Given the best in class vehicle suspension, I have really tortured the GT3 in bad roads and potholes without caring much for the tyres. A lesson learnt the hard way. I am going to drive the baby more carefully now.

The Yoko C-drive tyre cost is Rs.4200/tyre. Initial impressions are listed below after driving only in the city. I didnot get a chance to take her to highway yet after the tyres were changed

1. At slow speeds less than 20km /hour, the smoothness of the ride is very evident. Beyond that I dont see a big difference between GT3 and Yokos
    2. Many people had indicated steering getting lighter after changing to Yokos. In my case, I had no difference in the steering feel after change. It is still the same perfectly weighted steering.
    3. I cannot comment about noise level yet as high speeds have not been done. At bangalore city driving speeds even the GT3 was quiet.

Will post more comments as I take her on a highway drive later.
  3. Re: Replacement of stock TYRES for the PUNTO

Anyone of the forum who has info on upgrading to 16 inch rims on a punto. I need some information like tire size and converting 100 pcd to 98 pcd
  4. Re: Replacement of stock TYRES for the PUNTO

I made a trip to several showrooms in Bangalore for 15 and 16 inch rims. Almost all of them had 15" rims in 98 PCD, however the choice was limited. Again on 16" there are no alloys in 98 PCD. They are available only in 100~108 PCD and 100PCD holes need to be filed or milled to 98 PCD. Every outlet says that machining to 98PCD is safe and have not encountered problem. Range of alloys 15" or 16" in 100 PCD is huge.
    I myself wanted inputs from the forum on upgrading to 16" rims.
  5. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

Lets wait for the T-Jet 16". All shops in Trivandrum discouraged me from fitting a milled 100PCD when I tried to test their honesty :up .
  6. Re: Replacement of stock TYRES for the PUNTO

Couple of days back I got Yokohama A drive R1 fitted on my car. The tire size is 205/50 R16.
  7. spartan

spartan

Bangalore

Has anyone tried the Continentals?

From what I have heard, they have the quietness of the Michelins and the grip of the Yokos and they dont wear that easily.

The Goodyears have been eroding pretty steadily. I too am planning for a change at 20k
  8. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

In another forum I have read of a previous Swift and now GP owner who used his Swift DDiS for 2Lakh km and his Continentals were running at 70,000km when he sold his car and it could last another 25,000km easily.So I think it lasts, but not sure about the grip. In fact the Yokos are good on dry conditions, but not good on wet surface, at least not as good as Bridgestones.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  10. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

This is interesting, 80,000 mile limited treadwear warranty !
    http://www.conti-online.com/generator/w ... abNr=.html
    A test result they have mentioned : Wet braking stops up to 52 feet shorter : Independent braking test compared 215/60 R16 95T Continental ProContactTM with EcoPlus Technology to P215/60R16 94T Michelin EnergyTM Saver A/S

So long lasting tires doesn't always mean poor breaking. Technology keeps defying the laws of physics !!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.