1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Metro tyres, pimple saudagar Rs.4900
    1 person likes this.
  2. arian

arian Amatore

I changed all four tyres of my car to YOKOHAMA AVS DB V550 when my car crossed 60000 kms. Now the car is at 86,000 kms and in this time span I have had to replace 3 of them with a new set at different intervals -
    a) the left front tyre had a side cutwall thanks to a pothole so had to buy one tyre to replace this
    b) the right front tyre suffered a sidewall puncture within the next 3 months so again to buy one new tyre
    c) one tyre from the front had excessive tread loss so had to replace that too (and the other front tyre was new)

My feedback - Go for yoko DBs only if you are very particular about COMFORT & TYRE NOISE. These are very silent and very comfortable but very vulnerable to sidewall punctures on our roads. If you have an aggressive driving style please do not put these or like in me you will keep on investing on one tyre at a time.
  3. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Re: What tyres to buy??

Yes, these tyres are vulnerable to sharp potholes and can get the sidewall bulge snd puncture. But michelin PLC too has this problem.

If one is looking for comfortable and a very silent ride, then one needs to really take care of these tyres.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
  4. MRF Z.L.O is the new rubber for Ma Senuti. Got the tyres from a MRF dealer for 4500 Rs / Tyre. After checking with many MRF dealers and Multi Brand Dealers, this guy charged me the least for 4600 Rs. Since he had only 4 tyres of 195/60/15 left in stock, I bargained and could reduce 100 per Tyre. The next least price offered was 4650, 4800, 5000 and 5300 rs in other shops. In all the MultiBrand shops, they gave a very bad review for ZLO and pushed for BridgeStone. I thought I will got BS but I didnt want to try it without reading any reviews. So finalized on ZLO.

Took the tyres to another MRF T&S, he fitted the tyres and did balancing and allignment. 400 for allignment and 150 /tyre for balancing and Nitrogen for free. So for a total of 19000, got the new tyres on my Punto 90.

Till today the tyres have done 200 KMs.
    What I like :
    Silent tyres.
    Ride comfort had improved a lot but not the best may be because of the nitrogen.
    The dashboard rattle is completly gone now. The GY GT3 was the culprit.
    Looks meaty.

What I didnt Like:
    The grip. Since ZLO is a performance tyre and from the reviews I got to know they are silent and offers good comfort. So i thought these tyres are very balanced for perf and comfy but till not only the comfy part is good. Perf is not confidence inspiring. On the flyovers where I have taken the corners at 80KMPH without confidently, now with the ZLO 50 KMpH is the max which feels confident. 60 KMPH is scary. Feels like the suspension has become too soft the car drives like it is floating when taking corners. I am hoping it to get better after few 100 KMs on the odo. Even in highspeeds on highways, the drive feels unsafe after 130 KMPH. I would say GT3 was the best which offered a super grip and confidence at speeds > 160.

So all these days, I enjoyed driving the punto at highspeeds, my car was almost unbeatable on the highways. But I suffered the noise and rough ride. From now for another 40 K it is going to be the opposite.
    4 people like this.
  5. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hmm, your review is making me thing again. Lets hope you are feeling different since it is new, it should get better as you clock more kms i guess.

I decided to go for the ZLO and was thinking of getting them installed tomorrow. A multibrand guy quoted 4500 including Allignment/balancing. He was telling me that i'll have to pay for the new valves, he was telling me that valves crack over time and it's better to replace. I told him we'll talk about the valves later. I didn't tell him that my car is only 1.5 yrs old. Im thinking the valves won't give up so soon. He must have thought my car is 3-4 yrs old when i told him 45K kms.

BTW, did you get anything for the old worn out tyres, was just wondering if they are worth anything. The guy at the shop was telling me they are worthless since worn out tyres are used only as fuel for fires somewhere. (Can't imagine the amount of pollution that would cause).
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

I dont know how to thank you for your in-time review. I was not knowing that they suffer sidewall cuts etc.

Now i am back to square one. :(

Which tyres did you buy later on?
  7. I would give another review after Feb 2 as I will be back from a 800 KM drive on Feb 1. I am hoping things get better after few 100 KMS. The GT3 was worth nothing. The Left Front tyres had a thread damage and a side wall crack but not deep. Good that I changed the tyres before the long drive. The MRF T&S gave nitrogen and valve mouth for free.
  8. Linear

Linear Amatore

+1 to what vj_v1 has to say. New tyres require a run-in period which can be anything from 500 - 1000 km. So do remember to post another review after you get back from the trip. Fingers crossed that it will be positive then.
  9. royj

royj Esperto

I can sense what you are trying to say and I would attribute it to the soft nature of the tyres. This was the reason why I was considering increasing the tyre pressure to 36psi or more to compensate the soft nature.
  10. Re: What tyres to buy??

Run in period for tyres??it can only get slightly better.
    Go for apollo accelere a true VFM tyre..
    Michelin PLC is better compared to yoko db, michelin with extremely weak sidewall is a myth,try it to belive it..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.