1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am using PLC,I have to admit I repented for buying this for initial 5000 kms, as car started having more body roll, it used to get scary in high speeds. But recently with little bit of experiment, i learnt in PLC you need to keep about 1 PSI more air than GT3.I have fallen in love with ability of tire to absorb undulations of the road even a 5" high speed beaker doesn't send shocks inside the cabin!! Most of the petrol bunk air filling units are out calibration i brought a digital air check gauge and compressor.I am happy to fill the air myself.

Now PLC handles as good as GT3,but breaking,road noise,vibrations in side the cabin,wet/dry grip is unmatched by any other tire in the price band below it.No offense meant to any one or other brand.It also justifies the over 1200/- extra one need to shell out in buying Michilin .

I thank D.J Nish/Ravi for his guidance in selecting the tire.
    -Sat
  2. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Guys whats the ideal size one should go in 16inch for Punto ? Is it 205/45 ??
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Since your profile states Dynamic, I am assuming you have 165/80 R14 stock. See below for a comparison of various sizes in 16 inch rims.

TyreUpsize.JPG

Ideally, you should go for 205/55 R16 or 205/50 R16. 205/45 R16 would be a strict NO NO. 205/45 R17 can be considered, but may result in less comfortable ride quality.

Rajan
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  4. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Here is my post with details
    I went for 185/70 R14. No noise or problems with grip noticed so far. Running 34psi all round now. Planning to increase it to 36 and watch the feedback.
    2 people like this.
  5. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    royj, actually 32 all around in itself is high IMO. I am surprised that you are doing a 34 all round. I find such pressures jarring my ride. I maintain 32/30. All round 36 will load up your suspension and lead to centre specific tread wear. Also high pressures will reduce contact area and grip as rolling resistance will reduce. Also a bit of suppleness brought about by correct pressure will improve the dynamics of the car in the corners.

Abdul
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  6. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Re: What tyres to buy??

205/50/16

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
  7. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Abdul,
    I used to run 32 all round on my Bridgestones and I ended up with side tread wear. But 34 on Bridgestones was a bit jarring.
    On the MRF ZLOs, I felt 34 psi was too soft. That is why I was considering increasing it to 36psi.
    Another point to note is that we seldom measure the real cold tyre pressure. So I would recommend 36 at the pump so that the real cold pressure would be around 32psi.
  8. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Its a mistake most of us make following the manufacturer specification for all tyres. I used to fill 32PSI on B250, once even tried 34, after switching to CPC2 28PSI gives the same comfort, 30 and above gives stiff ride.
  9. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    royj, the side tread wear is mostly caused by the road shoulders at the centre especially on Kerala roads . This shoulder is meant for water to flow away and hence this elevation on the driver side tends to load the right tyres and unload the left tyres a bit.

Abdul
  10. I have used, JK tornado [Stock], Yokohoma C drives and at present Nankang NS2 Ultra.

Jk were good.
    Yokohoma had excellent wetgrip, good breaking, road noise and life were average. Lasted 30k [195/60/R15]
    Nankang NS2 Ultra - Good looks, value for money, Wet grip is average. Dry grip good. No Road noise at all. Seems to last really long [ 205/45/R17]

BTW all these tyres are ISI certified, whats wrong in going with Nankang, Maxxis or even Kenda when they meet ISI certification? Look at the pricing a 205/45/R17 costed 5200 each piece, the same in S drive or Bridgestone is 12000 per piece.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.