1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for hint rajan... oil leakage belongs to our 17 year good old Maruti 800 :)
  2. obliex

obliex Amatore

Pune
    Got Bridgestone MR2 for Linea. Cost 5600Rs per tyre. So far quite impressed by grip and noise levels.
  3. venky1957

venky1957 Novizio

Kumbakonam/Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Guys, have u noticed the price difference for tyres in Change my tyres.com than in local market. Why?? Can any one comment?
  4. Probably thats for convenience !
  5. khoj

khoj Amatore

Dilli
    Yes I have the 195/60R15 on my Cedia. Bought them with car odo reading 35 odd kms about 2 and a half years ago. Current mileage is 26000+ kms out of which 24000 + is pure highway driving.

On the Highway-1.jpg

I use a Swift for city drives so the low milage on my highway ride. At the moment tires run as Silent as they were on day 1, grip is amazing in extreme hot & cold weather Delhi-Chittaurgarh; Delhi-Haridwar; and in the heaviest of monsoons (Bombay monsoons) roads being Bombay-Surat; Bombay-Kolhapur/Karad; Bombay-Kurkumbh; Bombay-Roha-Mahad-Chiplun.

You heard wrong
    That's correct

Less tire life ?? This is subjective. AT 26K the tires on my car have a whole lot of tread left. On visual inspection the tread wear markers are still embedded deep in the rubber and no where near the surface. I have no idea on the Primacy LCs life. Honestly comparing the made in Japan V550 to the made in Thailand/Phillipines/China LC is unfair to the Michelins.

Grip levels are excellent

I too feel the dBs should be good for 40K+ kms. The Yokohama sales manager for North had S drives in his Swift and while they had amazing roll capabilities his tires were near bald at around the 30K kms mark. Per this gentleman being hard compound tires the S drives wear out at a faster rate.

The V550dB are an excellent buy. The only negative being that these are unidirectional tires. What that means in practical terms is that in case of emergency a tire mounted on the right side of the vehicle cannot be directly mounted on the left and vice versa. One would have to take the tire off the wheel/rim, flip it around and remount the same. Also the fifth tire necessarily has to be a bidirectional tire which can be freely mounted on either side of the car in case of a puncture etc. Talking of punctures thus far after having driven on all sorts of surfaces I have had only one puncture that too right outside my house wherein a 1" screw was found wedged between the treads in the rear left tire. I strongly suspect this to be a case of sabotage :evil:

Go ahead and buy them. Made in Japan products still give one the most bang for the buck.
    Alloys.jpg

Here I would also like to make you aware of another excellent tire but from Bridgestone. This is Turanza GR90. I mounted these (205/55R16) on my Linea TJet+ as soon as I bought the vehicle in September and let me tell you these are excellent bits of rubber. Dare I say better than the V550dB in terms of noise and ride comfort. have not had a cance to drive in the rains as yet but the grip levels on the BOM-DEL-BOM & DEL- Mathura-DEL on the Yamuna express way were amazing. Again highway driving accounts for 3500+ kms out of a total of 4100 kms thus far. Very hard to source but definitely worth the effort. Do not confuse them with the Turanza GR60 which is a different product.
    DSC03474.JPG
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
    5 people like this.
  6. vikastwister

vikastwister Novizio

Noida
    Hi Guys,
    Two days back I changed my Punto tyre to Continental Eco connect 3. I upgraded my tyre profile to 185/70/R14. As far as the experience is concerned, tyre noise is very low as compared to JK Tornado. At city speed there is no noticeable difference in the feel but yes at high speed handling has improved alot. Pot holes are less noticeable but even with out these tyres also pot holes impact was less. Mileage impact I not able to figure out. It seems it is not affected. At least in last 100 KM its impact not seen. Wet grip yet to be experienced.

Cost of tyres Rs. 4500 each with a free Air pump on purchase of 4 tyres. Tyre make is 4.5 months old.
  7. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Changed the tyres, all five of them. Changed the profile from 175/70 R14 to 185/70 R14.
    The odometer at the time of changing was 45877.

After a lot of searching and researching finalized on MRF Zlo based on actual user feedback and cost.
    For the fifth wheel I chose MRF ZV2K.

Total cost including alignment and balancing came to Rs.19500/-

First impression: Very comfortable. Even with 34psi all round, the rough patches and bumps are much subdued now.
    1 person likes this.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    That is a very well researched choice @royj. MRF ZLOs are amazingly good. I truly believe that tyre has not got the recognition it deserves. Hope they are able to get some tie-ups with car manufacturers, so everyone wins :D

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  9. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    They were amazingly cheap as well. Each ZLO cost me Rs.3800/- and ZV2K 3600/- the next cheapest ones Yoko A-drives were offered at 4200/- per piece, and Bridgestones and GoodYears were 4600/- and upwards.
    But it is too early to comment on the overall performance of these tires, need to take them to highway to comment on the grip and noise levels, also need to cover at least 2000-3000kms.
    1 person likes this.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I have a friend who switched from Michelin XM2 to MRF ZLOs on his Palio, when his tyres were due for replacement. In his own words - " I do not notice any difference whatsoever, in terms of noise, braking or ride comfort". This after doing 15 K Kms on the ZLOs. He did however mention that these tyres seem to be prone to punctures and it is critical to maintain correct tyre pressure.

Do share your experience as well.

Rajan
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.