1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi
    Re: Replacement of stock TYRES for the PUNTO

Johnny, Hi! I checked up the Speedo of GP has a +5 % error so I believe it is caliberated for 16" tyres. I am not so sure as I checked with my car only. Request guys who have GPS to check and report. and guys this is the approx difference of 4% with 16" tyres

tyre specs 195 65% 15
    rad of tyre 190.5
    wall ht 126.75
    wdith of tyre 195

circum 1993.340539

Tyre specs 195 65% 16
    rad of tyre 203.2
    wall ht 126.75
    wdith of tyre 195

circum 2073.136992

del Circum 79.7964534
    % diff 4%
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

I am not sure how 165/80 R14 and 175/70 R14 has same ground clearance??
    165*0.8 = 132
    175*0.7=122.5
  3. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

@Axn : 16" !! you said 16"? I have seen GP 195/55R16 when I was in UK. It was just the perfect size for the GP. And the multi-spoke alloys was just icing on the cake for the black GP that I used to keep watching daily through my office window then. ::V

We already have difficulty in finding a proper 14" or 15" with 98PCD and on top of that 195/55R16 was not a common size available too. Mostly 16" comes in 205 so that was again against my idea of upsizing. Any one here with the 16"-ers here. ::D :cool
  4. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi

Pran,

This is my observation from more than 4000 km run on nh1 (delhi chd punjab HP). Here I used my GPS on phone as well counterchecked my GARMIN oregon 550 for speedo error. The tyre size calculation is just the result i have deduced from a quick check. I would ask other gp owners to try and check and report.
  5. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3

@ravi,

You are correct about the two tyres with 14" rims. I think I messed up my calculations.

The 195/69 R15 & 165/80 R14 give a difference of only 2 mm in the radius of the wheel, ie. 307 & 309 mm for the 14" & 15" respectively.

According to <http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/fiat-grande-punto-10.html> the GP comes with wheel sizes from 175/65 15" to 205/45 17". If my calculations are correct, the 175/65 15" gives a radius of 304 mm, and the 205/45 17" gives a radius of 308 mm. Therefore, in my opinion, the GP may be calibrated for a mean figure of about 306 mm.

Johnny
  6. Gopi

Gopi Amatore

Dear All, Last weekend I went to Tiruvannamalai from Bangalore. The 100km road between Krishnagiri and Tiruvannamalai was pathetic with a lot of huge craters which shows up all of a sudden. Could not help but ended up driving my punto in 5 or 6 craters at 50~60km/hr. The end result, my front right tyre stock GT3 got a hole in the side wall. Luckily this happened right in front of a puncture shop. So he put a patch and replaced the same tyre and I reached Bangalore. After 2 days I see now that the air is going down fast on this tyre and I guess I will have to change it.

I have run 13K on my odo and am confused if I should just replace this one tyre with new one or I should change all 4 so that balancing is even. The spare tyre is still unused. The mechanic shown me a couple of monster nails embedded on the left front tyre as well. But I have not seen air leaking fast till now.

I read through this thread and understand Michelins are not long lasting. Bridgestone Potenza seem to be good candidate. Does anybody have an idea about the price and good dealer in Bangalore for Bridgestone?

Thanks for your help

Regards

Gopi
  7. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

Gopi, since the rotation pattern for punto/linea is front - back -front (no cross) i would suggest.. to save money:
    Replace the front left tyre with the spare tyre, and buy just 1 new tyre for the front right... (you can skip 1-2 tyre rotation interval to even out the wear on the front new tyres to come close to the rear tyres' wear) The front left tyre with repaired punctures can still be used as a spare, while the running tyres would be new* (& safe*)..

Later on when the time comes to buy new tyres you can buy all 5 together! A different brand..
  8. Gopi

Gopi Amatore

Chaos, Thank you very much for the excellent suggestion. This thought never occurred to me. I will buy only one new tyre now and save money. I was really confused if I need to buy all 4 tyres. I will get a new GT3 itself for now
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

Looks to me the 195/60 and 165/80 have similar ground clearance where as in Emotion 175/70 has lower GC. This could be a reason for fiat to remove 175/70 size now and new Emotion variants also comes with 165/80.
    They could have given 185/70 instead in Emotion.
  10. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

I was once reading some tips on Goodyear website. They have mentioned that if one wants to change 2 tyres like you are planning, the new tyres should be placed on rear axle and the older ones should be used as front tyres in this case.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.